Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a wee pale. Have not had Amarillo for a while and can't recall the taste. Using this also so I can harvest some yeast. No ale yeast in the fridge apart from 2 dry packets and I really like the way harvested yeast kicks off. I'll make another in the next few days with 007 - The Golden Hop.

Recipe: Amarillo Pale Ale

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Pale Ale

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.041 SG

Estimated Color: 19.0 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

3.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 3 -

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 71.4 %

0.50 kg Munich Malt (17.7 EBC) Grain 5 11.9 %

0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 6 11.9 %

0.20 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 7 4.8 %

10.00 g Chinook [12.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 15.3 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 9 -

60.00 g Amarillo [8.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 10 16.9 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit : No Chill

Brew day was yesterday, but here it is:

1 Can Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale

1.5kg LDM

40g Cascade hop pellets

20g Galaxy hop pellets

made to 23 litres (well actually 23.5, as I usually make a little extra to allow for samples)

yeast pack that came with the can (this is my freebie sampler replacement so sticking to the included yeast to show how it goes).

Boiled 500g LDM with 5 litres water.

added 40g Cascade & 20g Galaxy hop pellets (& tried out my new hop spider)

boiled for approx 5 mins, stood for a few minutes, the chilled slightly.

Being somewhat lazy, I only chilled the boiled wort for about 10-15 mins, tipped the 1kg LDM into the FV, then the slightly chilled wort on top.

Gave it a good stir, then added the brew can & filled up with tap water & chilled filtered water to 23.5 litres.

Popped it into a water bath with ice to bring it down a little, then pitched at what the FV thermometer said was 26c.

When I put it into the brew fridge, it read 28c, but I attached the sensor to the FV put some insulation over it (a folded up jiffy bag), & by mid afternoon the temp was down to the intended brew temp of 21c.

This morning it looks like all is how it should be.

A nice thick layer of yeast on the bottom, a good bit of what looks like frosting on the inside, & a light foam starting to form on the top, which it's fair to say will be a krausen of some description by this afternoon or evening.

As the yeast wasn't pitched until about 11am it's a little later than usual, as I generally have a brew down earlier in the morning, though of course as it's got a couple of weeks minimum before bottling, a few hours is neither here nor there.

G'day Lusty' date=' did you opt in for the 50g of roasted malt with the ANZAC ale?[/quote']

Yup. I ended up having to use some roasted barley. The steep threw up some interesting aromas. I admit I probably would never have used Nelson Sauvin in a roasty beer had it not been for this recipe. I pitched 2 x kit yeast dry. Currently sitting @ 21°C with a nice fluffy krausen on top. happy

Looks good and fruity. What is the Bookmaker like on it's own?

I brewed it with US-05 in it's basic recommended form with no extra additions & found it quite 'piney/winey'. Other opinions may differ though.

Next time I brew with it' date=' I'm going to use the amber malt extract & pound it with some of the American "C" hops.

Cheers & good brewing guys,

Lusty.[/size']

It's probably more roasty than sweet. Dark grains don't really give much sweetness, they're more a burnt, roasty flavour - hence why stouts and such end up the way they do. The sweetness comes from the lighter grains like the caramel/crystal malts etc.

I've never used dark extract, only amber, and light of course, so I'm purely speculating on that, but logic would suggest that it's not gonna be sweeter than the amber stuff.

1 Can Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale

1.5kg LDM

40g Cascade hop pellets

20g Galaxy hop pellets

Looks good and fruity. What is the Bookmaker like on it's own?

Unfortunately I didn't get to try the Bootmaker as a K&K, as when I tried to brew it, it was one of the questionable batches, & I ended up with stalled yeast/infection.

Having said that, I'm inquisitive enough to have licked some of the extract from the lid of the can, & it tasted like a more bitter version of the Coopers APA can, which I guess is no real surprise.

I often take a taste of the residue from the can lid, & though it's obviously highly concentrated, it does hint at the eventual flavour profile.

Most chefs & good cooks also taste their ingredients prior to & during cooking, so I'm not completely crazy, or if I am, at least I'm in with a good crowd!

As to how good the Bootmaker is, the reading sample tasted good, the brew looks like it's doing what it should, so I expect it'll be pretty good.

Probably good enough as a K&K (assuming the K is LDM, & made to 20 litres), for those who like their brew fairly simple - though it does have a good level of bitterness, but I practically never make a brew without a boil, steep, or dry hops anymore, other than SWMBO's brews of blushing blonde & the like - she's not as much of a hops fan as I am.

I am currently brewing my second bootmaker and this one with a late boil of EKG, amarillo and cascade and getting a dry hop with the same. The first one was only dry hopped and I thought by taste testing from the FV it would not be bitter enough but after being bottled for a couple of weeks it is adequately bittered. I think the bootmaker and the OS real ale are rated the same in IBU's. It is definitely way more bittered than an APA.

Kelsey - thanks for your info regarding malts and I am still learning heaps.

Most chefs & good cooks also taste their ingredients prior to & during cooking' date=' so I'm not completely crazy, or if I am, at least I'm in with a good crowd!

[/quote']That's not as crazy as it might sound. I often chew on a few grains I'm using on brew days, I especially like eating Caraaroma and black patent. lol I often taste the post-boil wort sample as well, obviously after it's cooled down and I've taken the reading. It's interesting to compare to what it turns out like after fermentation.

A quick simple brew with a new hop.

Recipe: 007 Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated IBU: 41.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

10.00 g 007 [14.60 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 17.6 IBUs

50.00 g 007 [14.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 mi Hop 10 24.2 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body, No Chill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A quick simple brew with a new hop.

Recipe: 007 Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications

Estimated IBU: 41.8 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

10.00 g 007 [14.60 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 8 17.6 IBUs

50.00 g 007 [14.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 mi Hop 10 24.2 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB' date=' Light Body, No Chill

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/quote']

Well I guess we now know who Daniel Craig's replacement is,... it's BENNY! lol

Good luck with the brew Mr. Bond. tonguewink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Good luck with the brew Mr. Bond. tonguewink

Cheers' date='

Lusty.[/size']

AROMA: Complex fruity aromas of orange and apricot mesh with hints of black tea-like character and a pleasant fresh herbal bouquet.

ALPHA: 14-15%

BETA: 4-5%

BEER STYLE: Dual Purpose

AROMA: Complex fruity aromas of orange and apricot mesh with hints of black tea-like character and a pleasant fresh herbal bouquet.

ALPHA: 14-15%

BETA: 4-5%

BEER STYLE: Dual Purpose

Sounds nice. What's the co-humulone percentage?

A typically long extract/partial brew day for me earlier today. I wasn't in the mood for it either, but had to clear out some hops & grains, so more than anything am relieved it's over. happy

These longer partial grain brew days are starting to test my patience a little. If this feeling keeps up, it might be enough to push me over the edge to go full AG! whistling

The simplicity of kit & extract based brewing has kept me in this mode for a long time now, but the overhead cloud of full AG is certainly hovering. I'm not sure that I'll ever completely dismiss extract & kit based brewing, but am starting to place some value on 4-5 hours of partial AG brewing that yields me about 6-7 litres of grain based wort. pouty

Lusty.

What? Am I reading this correctly or am I still drunk from last night? loltongue

It's a good point though, you could spend the same 4-5 hours making 6 or 7 litres of wort, or making 20 odd litres of wort.

I haven't completely dismissed kit or extract brewing either, it's just that I never find myself in a situation where I don't have the time to do an AG batch, but if I did then a quick kit brew would be on the cards.

I did partials mash brews for a while and used to produce around 10 litres of wort. When I added the time it took to chill the wort, it was around the same time I take now for no-chilled AG beer.

My standard beers (60 min mash & 60 min boil) take around 4.5 hours. Sometimes a little longer if doing a longer boil or multi step mash. But you can do lots of other things during the 4.5 hours.

Threw this bits & pieces Pale Ale together yesterday...

Coopers Light Liquid Malt extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt extract 500gms

Pilsner Malt grain 500gms

Munich Malt grain 300gms

Light Crystal grain 200gms

CaraHell 200gms

Dextrose 150gms

Pride of Ringwood 10gms @ 60mins

Mt. Hood 15gms @ 60mins

Centennial 10gms @ 15mins

Chinook 10gms @ 5mins

Cascade 25gms @ flameout

Mosaic 25gms @ flameout

Centennial 20gms dry hopped

Motueka 25gms dry hopped

2 x AC+L kit yeast

Ferment @ 18°C

Brewed to 23 litres

OG = approx. 1.046

FG = approx. 1.012

Kegged ABV = 4.5%

EBC = 11.4 IBU = 28.0

It was up & fermenting well this morning. happy

Fursty Ferret clone set down for next weekend, then some new hops & grains to play around with on some future Pale Ale recipes.

First sample of my Blueberry Porter is only a couple of weeks off too. I'm praying it's coming along well.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Alright so brew day will be later in the week. I'm hoping to go for a super simple first-time BIAB recipe based on Abita Amber, one of those easy-drinkin' beers from my past that I loved for many reasons. Pretty sure it's technically similar to a Vienna lager. This is what I've come up with is using online calculators etc. Please stop me if anything seems hinky.

Batch Size: approx 11L

guessed mash efficiency: 65%

estimated OG: 1.043

estimated IBUs: 18.18

2kg 2-Row Pale Malt

400g Crystal Malt

10g Perle @ 30 mins

20g Perle @ 3 mins

Yeast: W-34/70 or Coopers (P) reharvested

Now, a couple of questions:

- if I cover up during the boil, am I still going to lose much volume?

- is 65% realistic for a first time BIAB mash? Will sparging be necessary?

I'll probably end up grabbing a bag of DME as well for a yeast starter, and to make up gravity if I miss the mark. I feel like this is doable. Am I missing anything unmissable? Whirfloc? Water chemistry? I'm going to chill it in the laundry sink with plenty of ice, and get it fermenting in the fridge ASAP.

I'd go at least a 60 minute boil for an AG batch. There is a compound known as SMM that is a pre-cursor to DMS which needs to be boiled away as much as possible or else you can end up with cooked corn/cabbage flavours in your beer. I know there's been backyard experiments done with shorter boils and it hasn't shown up but given it's your first go at it, it's probably better to stick to the tried and tested methods first. At least it removes that variable.

400g crystal is a lot for an 11 litre batch, it'd be akin to using about 850-900g in a 'normal' sized brew. I'd back it off to about 150g - if you need it darker throw in a pinch of black malt or something.

That's a very low mash efficiency even for a first attempt. Based on your figures it sounds like you're actually talking about the total efficiency, in which case 65% is a good starting point.

Do not cover the boil. It won't allow the SMM/DMS to be boiled away. You could keep it covered while it's coming up to the boil but be sure to uncover it once it's boiling.

Whirlfloc is handy for flocculating the trub post boil; in a batch that size you'd probably only need a quarter of a tablet though. Don't worry about water chemistry yet, just get the basic processes etc. down pat. Water chemistry is probably the last piece of the puzzle once you get the hang of the rest of the process.

Cheers

Kelsey

Archived