Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

I don't bother using the HCF on the spreadsheet. The Centennial I used was around 10.2%AA.

Using 20gms of that Centennial @ 60mins for a 21 litre ferment volume gives 24.48 IBU's from that single addition. Aim for 24-25 IBU from your Magnum bittering hop addition.

It'll be a different beer without the Centennial though.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brew day today! happy

I enjoy Coopers commercial Pale Ale as my standard session beer when I'm not drinking my own home brewed beer, & if truth be known, I watched quite a number of them disappear yesterday evening while in the company of a close mate. whistling

I've always wanted to brew the DIY version purely for interest sake to compare with the commercial version, but have always had some reason that prevented me. Well, no longer! biggrin

On the back of some recent discussion here on the forum, I cold pitched some stored CCA (Coopers Commercial Ale) yeast I had into a 1 litre starter early yesterday that had impressively eaten it's way into the starter late last night when I returned home. I subsequently pitched this starter into the following brew a little earlier today.

Coopers Australian Pale Ale 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt extract 1kg

Dextrose 200gms

CaraHell grain 150gms (steeped for 30mins)

Coopers Commercial Ale yeast

Brewed to 23 litres

Fermented @ 21°C

OG = approx. 1.044

FG = approx. 1.010

EBC = 8.2

IBU = 25.1

Kegged ABV = 4.5%

Because I'm kegging the beer I can add a little more malt than the bottled DIY version & still come out at the same ABV% . The CaraHell grain is there purely to help with head retention. I would have preferred to use CaraPils in this instance, but the CaraHell was the lightest specialty grain I had on hand.

I have a plethora of hops in the fridge I could have thrown at this beer, but I'd like to see how the kit works with the commercial ale yeast as is, & try to replicate something close to the commercial version.

I'm looking forward to sampling the end beer. cool

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've always wanted to brew the DIY version purely for interest sake to compare with the commercial version' date=' but have always had some reason that prevented me. Well, no longer! [img']biggrin[/img]

G'day Lusty,

I too am a big fan of Coopers Pale. Just a really nicely balanced, drinkable beer. Your recipe sounds like a good one, and with the Carahell I'm guessing you'll end up with a touch more body than the real thing. I'm going to give something similar a go in a couple of months based on information from an old AHA thread from a Coopers tour (94% ale malt, 5% wheat malt, 1% dark crystal, 26 IBUs @60 minutes, rehydrated CCA yeast).

Hope the fermentation goes well, sounds like your yeast is alive and kicking!

Cheers,

John

Hi John. smile

I've seen a few AG recipes over the years that claim the correct grain mix, & for all I know they could be on the money. I vaguely remember it was some time after the initial kit range was released before the DIY CPA kit hit the shelves through sheer want from Coopers loyal followers.

I'm betting there was more than a bit of trepidation at the boardroom table about making a DIY kit version of their highly successful commercial brew, but luckily for us they did. happy Although there is always a thought that Coopers may have held something back in the kit to preserve the integrity of their commercial beer, if they have, I suggest it would be minimal. For that reason, I'd rather just make the kit based version of the beer than faffing around with an AG recipe to replicate essentially what's in the kit.

Sales of this kit over the journey have proven that taking the plunge about it's creation was a great move for Coopers without affecting it's commercial sales.

The yeast & ferment temperature are a large part of what makes this beer taste the way it does. If someone wants to spend 4+ hours making an AG version of what's already in the kit, then I say good luck to you. tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

If someone wants to spend 4+ hours making an AG version of what's already in the kit' date=' then I say good luck to you. [img']tongue[/img]

You definitely have a point there Lusty, maybe I'll break out the full-size fermenter and do the kit version. I'd do the kit + 500g LDM + 250g dextrose rather than the kit + BE2 simply because I think the maltodextrin in the BE2 might leave the FG a little too high.

Good call on leaving out the extra hops ... the 'less is more' simplicity is the magic of Coopers pale.

Cheers,

John

Ooh' date=' I do have a question though - what's the AA of the Centennial you usually use? I don't have any so I'm using Magnum and only 15g.

Also, do you take into account the hop concentration for a 5-6L boil? Means the difference between 32 and 18 IBUs according to IanH's spreadsheet[/quote']

I used the HCF when I was doing small boils like that for extract brews. Beers turned out as intended. Make of that what you will.

Brew Day!!

Recipe: Burtonized ESB

Brewer: C. A. Parent

Asst Brewer:

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 53.05 l

Post Boil Volume: 46.80 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.054 SG

Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM

Estimated IBU: 38.9 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 95.6 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

15.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

11.20 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

6.10 g Baking Soda (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

8.0 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -

7.37 kg ESB Pale Malt (Gambrinus) (4.0 SRM) Grain 6 91.2 %

0.61 kg Caramalt Malt - 35L (Bairds) (35.0 SRM) Grain 7 7.6 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Bairds) (500.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.2 %

50.00g Willamette 4.5 % - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 15.7 IBUs

60.00 g Willamette 4.50 % - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 15.8 IBUs

10.00 g Target 8.60 % - Boil 60.0 min Hop 11 5.0 IBUs

20.00 g Willamette 5.50 % - Boil 10.0 min Hop 13 2.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg Burton Ale (White Labs #WLP023) [35.49 m Yeast 14 -

60.00 g East Kent Goldings (EKG) 4.30 % - Dry Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

2.11 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 12 -

2.11 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)

Mashed@65C for 60mins

Total Grain Weight: 8.08 kg

------

Brew day Saturday w00t

Kegged the "Three point five" ale

Capital Pils

As per recipe, but pitched a good few cups of Notto yeast cake/trub from the above Kegged beer. Pitched at 15C and slowly bought it down to 13C over the last 36hrs. The Notto has gone coco bananas!

Pa-rye-ity Amber? Ale

Spin on PB2's recipe.

TCS Draught tin

1.5 Kg Briess Rye LME

30g Centennial dry

20L

Dumped wort on the remaining Notto yeast cake/trub from the above Kegged ale, under the same temperature conditions as the Capital Pils. It's gone off like a frog in a sock as well.

Cheers

Dave.

1.5 Briess Rye LME

Have you used this before? If so' date=' what was it like?[/quote']

First time.

My cherry has been popped.

I think ICzed has made an extract beer using the Rye LME????

Cheers,

Dave.

Yep, I've used it twice now. It is good stuff. And that recipe of yours looks like a ripper Dave.

I brewed up my second BIAB beer yesterday with some really good results (so far). It is a variation on Dr Smurto’s Golden Ale.

Best Golden Ale

2.52 kg JW Traditional Ale

0.84 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.84 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann)

0.26 kg JW Caramalt

15.00 g Amarillo - Boil 60.0 min

30.00 g Bramling Cross - Boil 20.0 min

30.00 g Bramling Cross - Boil 0.0 min

US-05

My efficiency was up but my volume was down, I didn’t quite get the 20 litres I was after – will need to double check my estimates before my next brew. I will top it up to 22 litres in the fermenter with 200g of dextrose. I’m looking forward to tasting this one.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

1.5 Briess Rye LME

Have you used this before? If so' date=' what was it like?[/quote']

It's a little restrictive with what beer recipes you can use it in. Light coloured beers are out due to the 10% Caramel Malt 40L in the LME.

I used it in an extract based spin-off brew of Chad's Big Island IPA on rye recipe. It turned out pretty good. happy

I actually contacted Briess a little while ago about this product & expressed my view of it's limitations due to the caramel malt. The nice chap who responded to my email is part of their product development team & he agreed. He said he was already in the process of re-jigging the configuration of some of the LME range.

I'm sure I posted something here on the forum about it, but I can't find the post.

I guess the wheels are turning... unsure

Lusty.

I'd do the kit + 500g LDM + 250g dextrose ...

Well Lusty' date=' you have inspired me. Today I bought an APA tin, 500g LDM and a 6-pack of Coopers Pale Ale [img']biggrin[/img]

That's the spirit! smile

I'm enjoying this "inspiring" period here on the forum as it makes me feel all warm & fuzzy inside. That would be great if it was Winter, but it's still Summer & bloody hot! pinched

Warm & fuzzy on the inside combined with hot & sticky on the outside is not a good combination. That's OK though, I'll just douse that warm & fuzzy area with nice cold beer to fix the problem. biggrin

Good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

I brewed up my second BIAB beer yesterday with some really good results (so far). It is a variation on Dr Smurto’s Golden Ale.

Best Golden Ale

2.52 kg JW Traditional Ale

0.84 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.84 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann)

0.26 kg JW Caramalt

15.00 g Amarillo - Boil 60.0 min

30.00 g Bramling Cross - Boil 20.0 min

30.00 g Bramling Cross - Boil 0.0 min

US-05

My efficiency was up but my volume was down' date=' I didn’t quite get the 20 litres I was after – will need to double check my estimates before my next brew. I will top it up to 22 litres in the fermenter with 200g of dextrose. I’m looking forward to tasting this one.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

[/quote']

Hey Mark,

You didn't get the volume you were looking for because of the rye malt. Rye malt is a lot more "sticky" and harder to pass from vessel to vessel. Rye (like wheat, malt) does not have a husk, which is used as a filter during lautering. To combat this issue you should a % of rice hulls to aid in lautering.

Did you end putting down the wheat beer with kit yeast Hairy? Would like to know how it turned out as I've got a hefe can on the way and was planning on using a 3rd party yeast.

Yep, I kegged it on Sunday and will have a taste on Friday night. It tasted OK from the FV. I will give some feedback then.

What yeast were you planning to use?

Hey Mark' date='

You didn't get the volume you were looking for because of the rye malt. Rye malt is a lot more "sticky" and harder to pass from vessel to vessel. Rye (like wheat, malt) does not have a husk, which is used as a filter during lautering. To combat this issue you should a % of rice hulls to aid in lautering.[/quote']

Hey Chad. I do a full volume BIAB - 26 litres or so on this occasion without any sparge water. Would the rye malt still have an effect on the final volume?

Hey Chad. I do a full volume BIAB - 26 litres or so on this occasion without any sparge water. Would the rye malt still have an effect on the final volume?

Could do, the liquid may not have run as freely from the bag.

I rinse mine.

Recipe: White Trash IPA II

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG

Estimated Color: 6.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 56.4 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 85.4 %

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

0.50 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

3.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 54.5 %

2.50 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 5 45.5 %

20.00 g Chinook [12.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 27.2 IBUs

1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -

50.00 g Hallertau Blanc [8.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 8 12.3 IBUs

45.00 g Chinook [12.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 9 16.9 IBUs

50.00 g Hallertau Blanc [8.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 D Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Light Body

Total Grain Weight: 5.50 kg

----------------------------

Late hop sub, Brooklyn just turned up in my letter box.

500g.

20.00 g Chinook [12.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 27.5 IBUs

40.00 g Brooklyn [17.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20 Hop 9 20.4 IBUs

40.00 g Hallertau Blanc [8.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 10 9.9 IBUs

50.00 g Hallertau Blanc [8.30 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 D Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

A high alpha hop with distinctive tropical, grapefruit and passion fruit characters (17.5-19.5 % AA)

Breeding:

Brooklyn is a New Zealand bred triploid variety with parentage from the New Zealand variety Southern Cross and a selected New Zealand male. Developed at New Zealands Plant and Food Research and released in 2015. The essential oil profile displays characteristics of intense fruit, citrus and resinous pine.

Selection:

Delivers intense fruity oils with top notes of baking spice and sweet hay. Selected on good agricultural performance and late maturity this variety is currently the most recently selected from the Hops with a Difference programme.

Brewing:

Brooklyn is a big hop delivering high alpha acid with a generous weight of oil while its lower cohumulone provides a soft well-structured but solid bitterness. Sensory panels describe the flavours and aromas in the finished beer to be that of grapefruit, tropical and passionfruit.

Archived