Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2016

Canadian Eh!L

So with my fruit salad ale bottled tonight, the fermenter is soaking ready for tomorrow and the grains are steeping.

Tomorrow's recipe is

Bulldog Stout

1.7Kg OS Stout Can

1.5Kg Amber LME

1Kg LDM

150g Choc malt cold steeped 24 hours

200g Crystal malt cold steeped 24 hours

2x 11g S04.

I bought a 3 piece airlock and have rigged a blow off tube up just in case. Luckily the missus is away for the weekend so if it goes tits up I have time to clean devil

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks good Anzacpaul. smile

Good move setting up the blow-off tube. What temp & volume are you brewing to?

Lusty.

Hi Lusty,

looking at a 21L brew. this will give me a little extra headspace and bring the brew out to 7% when bottled going by ianh.

OG 1.068/FG 1.017 (Seems like a high FG)?

I'll be looking at 18-20c temp unless advised otherwise, already got a 10L cask of water chilling in the fridge to help bring the temp down after I boil the grain water.

Do I need to add any of the malts to the grain steep water when boiling? Or just mix it in the FV as per a usual K&K?

Also thinking of half carbing this, 1 drop per longneck.

FG sounds pretty normal for a brew with those ingredients in it. It's high by comparison to a pale ale or lager or whatever but for a stout not unheard of.

I'd be keeping the temp at 20C or above with that yeast, it does have a tendency to slacken off towards the end of fermentation but if you keep the temp up at 20-22 it should be ok.

Assuming you're simply boiling the grain steep wort for sanitation purposes there would be no need to add anything to it.

looking at a 21L brew. this will give me a little extra headspace and bring the brew out to 7% when bottled going by ianh.

OG 1.068/FG 1.017 (Seems like a high FG)?

You've got a good whack of fermentables in this brew' date=' so for 21 litres that sounds spot on. I like it!

I'll be looking at 18-20c temp unless advised otherwise, already got a 10L cask of water chilling in the fridge to help bring the temp down after I boil the grain water.

Speaking only of my own experiences with S-04, I like it better @ 20°C. It has a bit of a reputation of dropping off to sleep before reaching a suitable FG, & I put this down to fermenting with it at lower than 20°C temperatures. My last Pale Ale with it fermented @ 20°C ended up really good, & had no hint of any esters whatsoever. Your call on that one though.

Do I need to add any of the malts to the grain steep water when boiling? Or just mix it in the FV as per a usual K&K?

As you are not adding any hops to this boil' date=' then there is no need. If you find it easier to help dissolve some of the dry malt a little easier then by all means do, but make sure you have enough liquid to adequately dissolve it in.

Also thinking of half carbing this, 1 drop per longneck.

On the back of some info provided by PB2 recently about his own carbing levels with aged beers, I'll be doing the exact same thing in the 750ml bottles with my Porter that is currently brewing.

Good luck with the brew,

Lusty.

Cheers Lusty.

The brew is up and going after a few headaches mentioned in another thread. Stupidly I forgot to take an OG as well.

It only took 4 hours for the airlock to start bubbling, and it's going gangbusters at the moment, with a Krausen of doom rising. I expect to wake in the morning and see the blow off tube being put to full use. just hope it works as intended!!

Hoping to put this one down on Saturday ' date=' will be my first AG IPA. It is roughly based on a recipe for DogfishHead 60 minute IPA. Apparently the Thomas Fawcett Amber malt is essential as it adds a certain resiny flavour and I couldn't source it locally so waiting for my shipment from QLD.

This will also be the first time I have played with water chemistry - I am using packaged spring water that i have the analysis for and using brewers friend software have worked out I need to add 2 teaspoons of gypsum. Looking forward to this one!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: DFH 60 1.0

Brewer: Ken

Asst Brewer:

Style: American IPA

TYPE: All Grain

Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 30.22 l

Post Boil Volume: 25.84 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Bottling Volume: 22.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 11.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 65.4 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 75.6 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Est ABV : 6.5% (before bottling)

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

7.00 kg Bairds Maris Otter (5.0 EBC) Grain 1 96.9 %

0.22 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 2 3.1 %

23.12 g Warrior [15.00 %'] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 34.6 IBUs

16.51 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Boil 35.0 min Hop 4 13.0 IBUs

16.51 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 17.7 IBUs

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 7 -

28.00 g Amarillo [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs

15.00 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: 001 - Kens BIAB 67c

Total Grain Weight: 7.22 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash Step Add 32.83 l of water and heat to 67.0 C 67.0 C 90 min

Okay I've had a few bottles of this now , and it's great! Fantastic flavour, not overly bitter , probably 50 or 60 IBU's , but the flavour is very balanced. The hops really shine but it also has a really solid malt backbone. Aroma wise it's not over the top, it's definitely a fruity smell , but I could have used a lot more for a bigger nasal hit but this way I had enough hops left for another batch .

I tend to say "best beer yet" after almost every brew these days , and maybe it's true because I may actually be getting better at this, but honestly this is as good as most store bought IPA's I've ever had. Only downfall was having to make a smaller batch (21 litres in fermenter in the end) due to having to add over 7 kilos of malt into my little Crown Urn, but she handled it like a trooper.

Next batch I think i will just ignore the "continuous hopping" schedule , as the original author of this brew says she just does a 60/15/0 minute schedule now, and it tastes just the same. i might also use more flavour hops, and just buy some more for the dry hopping later.

Happy brewing!

Hey Anzacpaul

I like that a Stout recipe - let us know how it comes out, looks like a ripper. Never half carbed either so interested to hear if you think that's better for a nice dark one

as for me p- 1st brew day in a few weeks. Short on the gold stuff so a Pale Ale and an IPA in the FVs

Hey Anzacpaul

I like that a Stout recipe - let us know how it comes out' date=' looks like a ripper. Never half carbed either so interested to hear if you think that's better for a nice dark one

as for me p- 1st brew day in a few weeks. Short on the gold stuff so a Pale Ale and an IPA in the FVs[/quote']

Will do, it's been bubbling it's head off for the past 24 hours, and i've had to refill the s lock once already. The krausen has begun to subside, and the blow off tube wasn't required. Only think i'm concerned about now is the S-04 going the distance, as i've heard it can be prone to stall.

If you keep the temp up above 20C then it should be ok and ferment out properly. Probably wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on it though.

How do you know if its fermented out properly?

Im doing a dark ale next and I have the same yeast - never used it before. But my first ever dark ale yonks ago did stall and then stated up again but didn't finish properly ended up too fizzy in the bottle with a few gushers. Don't want to repeat that

Ive only got one sachet (11g) - but I am only putting 1.7kg of dark liquid ME in mine so perhaps that is enough?

Getting an approximate FG from a spreadsheet should help. From what i've read, it tends to stall either around 1.026 or more commonly 1.020. As I posted earlier in the thread, my expected FG is 1.018 so will be interesting to see where I get to.

As of this morning the Krausen has completely gone, but I can see the wort fizzing away like its carbonated. I have removed one of the ice bottles from the ghetto cooler as it was getting a little cool in there.

Will keep this updated by I won't be checking gravity for 2 weeks yet.

Yes, basically you can get a predicted FG reading based on the ingredients (malts etc.) and the yeast strain being used. If it finishes around this figure, give or take a couple of points, then you can most likely say it has finished fermenting. I have found the Beersmith predicted FG's quite accurate although this program is more aimed at all grain. IanH's spreadsheet is a terrific one for kits and extract brewing though so grab a hold of it if you don't have it already. biggrin

Honey brown Porter

40L water

4.5 Kg Pale Malt

.68 Kg Honey Malt

.5 Kg Flaked Barley

.5 Kg Crystal 80L

.3 Kg Carafa II

.23 Kg Chocolate malt

.2 Kg Wheat malt

20g Target (60mins) 11.6 IBU

10g Magnum (60mins) 8.1 IBU

21.5g Fuggles (15mins) 3.7 IBU

23.5g EKG (5mins) 1.4 IBU

WLP013/US-05 split batch

mashed @ 66ishC OG 1.044 IBU 24

So' date=' I have this one carbed up and pouring nicely and I must say It has turn out quite well[img']smile[/img].

Hi Chad.

It always looked a nice recipe. smile

Honey brown Porter

WLP013/US-05 split batch

So' date=' I have this one carbed up and pouring nicely and I must say It has turn out quite well [img']smile[/img].

Which one? unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Hi Chad.

It always looked a nice recipe. smile

Honey brown Porter

WLP013/US-05 split batch

So' date=' I have this one carbed up and pouring nicely and I must say It has turn out quite well [img']smile[/img].

Which one? unsure

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yeah thanks, Lusty. I agree, It does look like a nice recipe. I do wish you Aussie blokes could get your hands on some Honey malt so some of you could give it a go.

This is the batch I pitched US-05 at. I'm thinking I'll bottle the other half if I ever get around to it. Have I ever told you that I hate bottling?pouty

Ripper of a RIPA

-------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.058 SG

Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM

Estimated IBU: 50.0 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

7.57 kg Pale Malt' date=' 2 row (Gambrinus) (2.0 SRM) 85.7 %

0.79 kg Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 8.9 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) 3.4 %

0.18 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) 2.0 %

15.80 g Citra 12.50 % - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 13.9 IBUs

31.61 g Nugget 14.50 % - Boil 60.0 min Hop 28.0 IBUs

15.80 g Nugget 14.50% - Boil 10.0 m Hop 5.7 IBUs

15.80 g Amarillo 6.90 % - Boil 15.0 min Hop 2.4 IBUs

30.00 g Amarillo 9.20 % - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 Hop 0.0 IBUs

30.00 g Citra 12.00 % - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 m Hop 0.0 IBUs

37.00 g Centennial 10.00 % - Steep/Whirl Hop 0.0 IBUs

2L starter California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

2.11 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)

1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out

Total Grain Weight: 8.83 kg

[/quote']

I just hit these two 5 gallon batches with some dry hops.

Batch 1

60g Cascade

15g Citra

15g Amarillo

Batch 2

60g Cascade

60g Amarillo (leaf)

Should be good!

I just hit these two 5 gallon batches with some dry hops.

Batch 1

60g Cascade

15g Citra

15g Amarillo

Batch 2

60g Cascade

60g Amarillo (leaf)

Should be good!

Nice buddy, that should cut through the rye nicely!

Let me know when it is done and I'll email myself over for a glass or two.

After a few months brewing hiatus due to an interstate move I got to put a brew down last night. Nice quick and easy one using a recipe for the stone and wood Pacific ale I found on another forum. Fingers crossed as I really like the commercial beer.

1.5kg coopers light malt extract

1.5kg coopers wheat malt extract

15g galaxy @20 minutes

20g galaxy @10 minutes

25g galaxy @0 minutes

us-05

23 litre batch fermenting at 18c

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Ruddy.

Brew day!!! Got some manner of mosaic amber ale mashing in the oven for some reason as we speak ...

I just thought I'd check to make sure you haven't put a lid on the pot you are using for the mash in the oven. If you have' date=' remove it or the temperature in the mash pot will sky-rocket!

The warm air in the oven is what maintains the mash temp, unlike when you use an external mash tun, where you need to insulate it to hold the heat in.

Good luck with the brew.

Lusty.[/size']

Ooh, I do have a question though - what's the AA of the Centennial you usually use? I don't have any so I'm using Magnum and only 15g.

Also, do you take into account the hop concentration for a 5-6L boil? Means the difference between 32 and 18 IBUs according to IanH's spreadsheet

Archived