Coopers Community

Bohemian Pilsner

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've worked out the problem at last. Both you guys must be regular Ashley Madison customers!

But seriously, if you do have concerns, using another PC if possible, search for a program called UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD), download it and burn it to bootable CD. Then use it to boot the one you have worries about. There's heaps of similar recovery programs of course, but they all have lots of tools to recover/save data before the computer suffers any more damage or compromise.

I've used it several times to save people from hot water.

Yes, I've got some Linux rescue discs burnt just in case ... although a backup would be a very smart idea. I feel your pain with the lost backup though Kelsey, playing with Linux distributions on my desktop a few years back I was partitioning and backing up and installing and hacking around with the bootloader like crazy ... then I accidentally wiped the backup partition I'd set up before burning it to DVDs.

I do use Dropbox to sync my Beersmith library between my computers, so at least that's in the cloud. And that's the main thing to save of course, the profiles took a bit of tweaking to get right! biggrin

Ah well, shit happens. I'm not overly concerned about the files that were lost though. Most of them were just silly memes and whatnot, nothing of any real importance, easily re-downloaded or re-made. All my music and TV shows are on a different hard drive which needed nothing done to it. It's annoying losing the recipes although I do have 8 of them saved on a USB which I'll input into Beersmith now - and the best part is they are my favourite ones, so I've unintentionally offloaded ones I'll never brew again. Any others I'm sure I can find in threads on here.

Hey Kelsey, just admiring your recipe here. Do you use a Crown Urn to make this?

If so I didn't know you could do protein rest saccharification etc... is this correct?...bit of another world for me this territory... I'm gonna get a Crown Urn very soon...curious as to its potential.

cheers jay

BIAB Pilsner Step Mash

5.000 kg Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner (4.0 EBC) 95.1 %

0.250 kg Munich Malt - 10L (23.0 EBC) 4.8 %

0.007 kg Black (Patent) Malt (1300.0 EBC) 0.1%

Acid rest: 35C for 5 minutes

Protein rest: heat to 52C, hold 15 minutes

Saccharification 1: heat to 63C, hold 45 minutes

Saccharification 2: heat to 72C, hold 30 minutes

Mash out: heat to 78C, hold 10 minutes

Hi Jay, cheers mate.

Yes it is done in a crown urn. I gave up on those step mashes after two attempts. The grain released too much crap at the low dough in temp resulting in the urn element continually cutting out during the heating stages. I tried one with lifting the bag each time and once with the false bottom in. It was just too much of a hassle really. The other way it could be done which I didn't try is to start with less water at the beginning and use boiling water to bring the temp up each step.

On more recent batches I've dispensed with the first two lower rests and just started it at 63 then up to 70 and mash out last. I can't notice a difference in the end product so I will keep doing this, just altering the times of each rest to get my desired FG. This schedule is known as a Hochkurz mash.

These full step mashes are only really needed for under modified malts, which the floor malted bo pils malt isn't.

Cheers

Kelsey

Popped the fourth overall but third batch of the proper recipe into the FV yesterday. I got an OG of about 1046 on this one, and 22 litres into the FV so this will be another one that will be solely kegged. About 30 hours later it is showing signs of activity, which is pretty normal for this Urquell yeast I have found. I also pitched it lower than 10C this time.

This will be the last of these for a little while, as the next two batches will be both ales, in order to fill the last two kegs a little quicker. Currently on the 4th re-use of the yeast too, and I expect it will keep enough viability over the next 2-3 months to be able to keep it going when I resume these batches.

Cheers

Kelsey

Today was/is day 6 of fermentation on this batch, so did an SG test earlier and it appears to be down to about 1025, or it was then anyway. I didn't bother tasting it because it won't give much of an idea with ~15 SG points still left on it. As per my method I have raised the temp controller up to 19C, but left the fridge closed today. It only rose 1 degree over the course of the arvo, up to around 11.5C. Will open the door tomorrow on it though.

I might even keg this one a week early as well, not so much to drink it earlier, but it's gonna be sitting in the kegerator cold anyway so I don't see much difference in "cold crashing" in the FV or the keg. And it allows me to throw on the next batch (Mosaic pale ale) sooner in order to fill the third keg. Once I get a bit of a stockpile going I can ease up on production a little!

Cheers

Kelsey

I might even keg this one a week early as well' date=' not so much to drink it earlier, but it's gonna be sitting in the kegerator cold anyway so I don't see much difference in "cold crashing" in the FV or the keg.[/quote']

For me it does. It means unwanted crap in the keg! pinchedlol

CC in the FV, & leave the crap behind when you transfer to the keg I reckon. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Don't worry, it will be getting a week of CCing in the FV before transfer, but normally I do 2 weeks for lagers. I used isinglass on the first keg (in the FV though) and it must have dropped the yeast like a stone because there doesn't seem to even really be any in this keg. Was a slight yeast haze on the first day but it's completely gone now. Will be sticking with that stuff for sure.

Yeah I mentioned that isinglass stuff in a thread a while back. It sounded like pretty damn good stuff from the reading I did on it. I'll get around to using some clarifying agents eventually. Right now though, it's just not that important to me in the grand scheme of things.

For me it's time to start brewing my best recipes more regularly, & cutting way back on the experimentation. On last count I've documented & brewed 114 different beer recipes since AUG 2012. Soon I'm going to go through them all & save a list of the best ones. Those will then be brewed more regularly. joyful

I might even go out of my way to make a few look pretty in the glass! tongue

Cheers,

Lusty.

Yes, in my limited one batch experience of using it lol it does seem to be pretty decent. My main reason for using it was simply to drop the yeast out so I didn't get much in the keg, avoiding the usual glass of yeast first up. It appears to have done this very well. Gelatine does too, but in my experience it makes the sediment fluffy. Isinglass makes it more compacted, or so the descriptors say anyway. Apparently it drops a few proteins out as well, but yeast is my reason for using it. I also used a dose of Polyclar for the chill haze. In a style like this, you really want it as clear as possible.

I can understand where you're coming from though, I didn't use them for a long time either, while I was focusing on processes and getting a few other things down pat. After a while though, I just got sick of chill haze so I decided to do something about it.

In any case, I hope I finish these bottles off soon, because that batch doesn't taste very good compared to the kegged batch. Don't know why, but I'll be glad to see it gone to be honest. I think the mucked up step mash might have something to do with it though; the kegged batch's Hochkurz mash went much smoother, and the resultant beer is way closer to what I wanted out of the recipe. happy

Cheers

Kelsey

G'day guys,

I've been enjoying a few pints of my Bohemian Pilsner poured from from my Tap-A-Draft tonight. It has a fair amount of chill haze and malt sweetness. I don't think I would use Wyeast 2206 again for this style of beer - imagine the malt sweetness of a Budvar or a Pislner Urquell turned up to 11. It's a rich and tasty beer, but not quite what I was after.

Cheers,

John

I noticed the same thing with my bottled batch, which also happens to be full of chill haze, despite hitting it with Polyclar during cold crashing. Early on it was quite sweet, and it actually tasted more like Stone and Wood Pacific Ale (if you can believe that) than a Bo Pils, but it has lost that sweetness with time in the bottle. It still doesn't taste as I intended, although maybe my eyes are biasing my tastebuds. I'm not sure the yeast is the issue here - WLP800 is the same strain as the WY2001 I'm using.

I suspect my issues with that particular batch were as a result of the mucked up step mash. On the kegged batch, I largely dispensed with the step mash. I didn't bother with the first two steps, and just started it at 63, then up to 70, then mash out. AKA Hochkurz mash. This batch tastes much better, there is no chill haze, and it hasn't even been in the keg for 2 weeks yet. w00t

And as the pictures will show, it has turned out brilliantly!

11987041_10207974668473141_1965814558177573651_n.jpg?oh=dc2e8bfd21792b53635380f510192ad9&oe=566AEC10

11986595_10207974668873151_4112015729313437581_n.jpg?oh=8d4a9978c86e35c4ddc39e8c1f71e7b5&oe=56815588

Cheers

Kelsey

I think I've set a record for my fastest ever lager fermentation on this current batch. 8 days after pitching the yeast and it's looking like it's done. I left the sample I took the other day on the kitchen bench with the hydrometer in it to monitor the SG drop, it appears to have stabilised around the 1010 mark currently. Inside the FV the foam has subsided and activity looks like it's largely done - which correlates to what the SG test sample has done.

It was pitched a tad under 10C, fermented at 10C for 6 days, then ramped to 19C where it is currently sitting. I'll test the SG next week on Tues and Thurs, and if these readings are stable it can be crashed to 0C, with isinglass and Polyclar treatment happening before it's kegged on the weekend of the 19th/20th.

biggrin

It was the same size as always - 4L stealing 800mL or so for next time. This particular one is the 4th generation of the 2001 pouch I bought back in April or May or whenever it was. Most of these batches have finished in about 10 days, but I'm not complaining about this considering I need to fill kegs quickly! w00t

Well, this one is done and dusted fermentation wise anyway, I should think. SG test today read 1007, giving me 5.1% ABV in the keg. Probably won't have enough leftovers to bother with any bottles on this one. This batch was brewed with untreated tap water; the SG sample again tasted good, no diacetyl detectable to me and the flavour is pretty spot on to what I wanted, though it was slightly different to the batch brewed with treated water. I'll have to wait until it's chilled and carbed to make a proper call on it though.

If it's still at 1007 tomorrow which it should be, then I will begin dropping it to 0C, with a view to keg it early/mid next week after hitting it with isinglass and Polyclar over this period.

I'll be using a slightly different method of force carbing this one. I'll stick it in the fridge at 30PSI for 24 hours, then drop it back to serving pressure around 10PSI and leave it for a few more days before pouring one. Hopefully this prevents the over carbonation issues I had in the first keg.

Cheers

Kelsey

Cheers mate. That's a crappy phone pic too. The thing takes better photos outside in the daytime natural light though.

lol It is a little bit of a hike, yes. Unfortunately this batch is all gone, the keg blew dry on Saturday. crying

Hence I'm trying to speed things up a bit for the next couple of batches to get some kegs filled.. doing a couple of ales before the next Bo Pils.

Archived