Coopers Community

Bohemian Pilsner

Cheers mate, means alot. I think ill mash a little higher then at maybe 66°C, and check SG before i ramp up the temp. The only reason i will ramp the temp up myself is because Melbourne is pretty cold at the moment, and i don't think it will warm itself up enough to get to 18°C

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I guess it's different up here. I had to use a boiling Erlenmeyer to get my last ale to warm up near the end of fermentation but lagers don't seem to need it as much. Of course, not as cold here. I still do the same with the controller, and simply use the flask if I see it not warming up.

I am definitely doing a Bo Pils next too. 

I will finalise my recipe this week and plan to brew it in early August then I will lager it until November when I will have 3 weeks annual leave. 

I will post my recipe back here when I have figured it out. 

BB

Very soft water is key to this style turning out its best as well. Melbourne water is perfect for pilsners. In Brisbane I have to distill the water and re-add tiny amounts of minerals to get the water profile right. It's time consuming a little to distill it all but well worth it, after brewing one with tap water and it not turning out as nice.

Hopefully by the end of the year I will have an RO filter but for now it is tap water run through the 3 stage undersink filtration system. 

Here is my recipe. 

Batch size - 23L

OG - 1.048

FG - 1.009

ABV - 5.1%

IBU - 34

EBC - 6.4

Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner - 4.3kgs 92.5%

Weyermann Light Munich - 0.170kgs 3.8%

Weyermann Melanoidon - 0.170% 3.8%

90 min boil 

30gms Saaz  - First Wort 90 mins 4.4%AA

20gms Saaz - 60 mins

20gms Saaz - 30 mins

10gms Saaz - 10 mins

2 packets of rehydrated Saflager W34/70

Mashed at 67 for 60 mins

Mash out 75 for 10 mins

Ferment at 12 degrees for a few days then raise to 18ish for a d-rest. 

Cold crash in the fermenter for a week and also add BrewBright. After BrewBright has done it’s thing then I will transfer to a keg and lager at 0 degrees for as long as possible (hopefully)

How does this sound??

Otherwise it sounds fine, although mash outs are better done around 78. Another yeast you could try is the MJ Bohemian Lager. It might get closer to the pilsner flavor than W34/70. I've never used either of them in a pilsner though, most of mine were done with Wyeast 2001 Urquell yeast, which I'm highly disappointed to see taken out of regular production and relegated to a "seasonal release". It's a cracking yeast and makes beautiful pilsners. I'm using 2000 Budvar currently*, and when I retire that one I'll be moving to 2278 which I believe is also an Urquell strain but slightly different to 2001.

*I'm currently brewing a series of German lagers with Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops, similar recipe to some batches I did a few years ago with the main difference being the yeast; those batches I used W34/70. I can definitely taste a difference there with these ones having a little Bo Pils influence in them, likely from the yeast strain. That's why I suggested perhaps trying a different strain.

Playing around with liquid yeast is on my to do list very soon but for this I will see if I can hunt down some MJ’s. My normal online guys doesn’t stock it so I will have to find another supplier who would have all of those ingredients. 

Any ideas who would have all of that?? I’m located on the Central Coast of NSW!!

Cheers, Beer Baron

28 minutes ago, Tommy1525230200 said:

Can i ask whete did you get the Budvar or Urquell yeast from ? My lhbs doesnt supply it

Craftbrewer. But you can't get it anymore, at least not from wyeast anyway as they took them out of regular production.

White labs still has these strains though I think, but Craftbrewer doesn't stock them. Pretty sure the Budvar one is called budejovice in white labs. Not sure what their Urquell one is called though.

5 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Craftbrewer. But you can't get it anymore, at least not from wyeast anyway as they took them out of regular production.

White labs still has these strains though I think, but Craftbrewer doesn't stock them. Pretty sure the Budvar one is called budejovice in white labs. Not sure what their Urquell one is called though.

That would make sense České Buďejovice is town where Budvar is brewed. 

I made a 1 litre starter of my WLP802 yeast yesterday, because it was a little old. It had a manufacturing date of April the 3rd. I plan to make a second stage starter of 2 litres when its finished so i can harvest some for my next Lager which will probably be next year!

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yes, it's a nice beer too. I buy it occasionally. I'm using that yeast currently in my lagers, it's a great yeast.

It is a great beer. After urquell my second fav czech one. I went to the Budejovice town couple of times and also found a place where they have it on tap here in Sydney. Will try to get my hands on that yeast

2 hours ago, Tommy1525230200 said:

It is a great beer. After urquell my second fav czech one. I went to the Budejovice town couple of times and also found a place where they have it on tap here in Sydney. Will try to get my hands on that yeast

You will probably need to make a starter with the yeast before pitching it into a batch. Those vials don't contain anything like enough cells for a lager pitch by themselves unless you were making a 5-6 litre batch.

Wow it’s hard to find Mangrove Jacks Bohemian Lager within 50kms of where I live. Money is a bit tight at the moment so I don’t really want to pay $10-$20 in shipping just for 2 packets of dried yeast. 

I know you don’t use dried yeast @Otto Von Blotto but how do you think a Bavarian Lager yeast would go instead?

https://mangrovejacks.com/collections/craft-series-yeasts/products/bavarian-lager-m76-yeast-10g

Thanks,

Beer Baron

It'll still work mate. Might be a slightly different flavour profile but it's close enough for rock and roll. Better than fermenting it with West Yorkshire Ale yeast ?? There's a story behind that one.

I've been fermenting German lagers with Budvar yeast with good results. 

I just made the second stage starter for my Bo Pils. I decided to make it 2.5 litres rather than just 2 so i can harvest some to use next time. If all goes well I should have this thing pitched next weekend.

Cheers!

On 17 July 2018 at 9:28 PM, Beer Baron said:

I just ordered my ingredients for my Bo Pils. All I need is a day off and a few hours to brew...........

Beer Baron

The one benefit to being a kit and kilo brewer, takes less time to get the brew on!

Archived