Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

I'm getting real hungry for a big IPA again' date=' & have loaded up on hops recently to have a go at something in the Ben10 territory! [img']biggrin[/img]

Hey Big Luster

Hope you included some rakau and kohatu in the order. It really was (IMHO) spectactular and well worth a try, though the Tropical Ale was a Pale Ale and not an IPA anywhere near that IBU level.

A big beerio cheerio.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad' date=' where are the Styrian Goldings?

They are the best bit [img']wink[/img]

Yeah, I know. I'm all out of S. Goldings at the moment. EKG is supposed to be a reasonable substitute. I'm not using the proper yeast strain either. I wanted WLP037 Yorkshire square, but this is only available seasonally. When the yeast is available in November I'll make to have some S. Goldings on hand as well. This is partly why I put forth the disclaimer about its unlikeness toward the Landlord.

I do expect something good out of they two brews though. Fingers crossed

Chad' date=' where are the Styrian Goldings?

They are the best bit [img']wink[/img]

Yeah, I know. I'm all out of S. Goldings at the moment. EKG is supposed to be a reasonable substitute. I'm not using the proper yeast strain either. I wanted WLP037 Yorkshire square, but this is only available seasonally. When the yeast is available in November I'll make to have some S. Goldings on hand as well. This is partly why I put forth the disclaimer about its unlikeness toward the Landlord.

I do expect something good out of they two brews though. Fingers crossed

Still looks like a nice beer.

I wasn't really happy with my TTLL clone, way too bitter. I may have give it another go.

Brew day this evening - time for a hoppy Pale Ale biggrin

This was my first ever pure extract with steeping grains brew, so quite fun to try this method out.

Malt

1.5kg Coopers LDM

100g Simpsons medium crystal malt (30 min steep @65 - 70C)

Hops

5g Nelson Sauvin @60 mins

12g Amarillo @5 mins

6g Nelson Sauvin @5 mins

12g Amarillo @cube

12g Pacific Hallertau @cube

7g Nelson Sauvin @cube

Yeast: Repitching WLP006

Dry Hop

12g Amarillo

12g Pacific Hallertau

7g Nelson Sauvin

I will dry hop at around day 7 for 5 days. I'm curious how WLP006 goes in a hoppy pale ale. Googling I found a couple of people that really liked it, so I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

Edit: Forgot the vital stats below ...

Batch size: 10 litres into fermenter

OG: 1.054

Bitterness: Beersmith says 53.8 IBUs based on a 30 minute steep / whirlpool estimate for the cube hops

Colour: 20 EBC

Brew day/hour today.

Simple brew, but a favourite with our golf group.

OS Draught

1kg Amber DME

25g Centennial hops 10 mins

25g Nelson Sauvin hops 10 mins

23 litres

Kit yeast.

In the brew fridge for 2 weeks @ 18 deg.

Next in line another simple brew:

OS Lager

1kg LDM

200g Pale Choc malt - cold steep overnight

Haven't decided on hops at this time, but have 2 weeks to think about it.

Brew day/hour today.

Simple brew' date=' but a favourite with our golf group.

OS Draught

1kg Amber DME

25g Centennial hops 10 mins

25g Nelson Sauvin hops 10 mins

23 litres

Kit yeast.[/quote']

Hi Greg

I suspect you made a typo, and you meant "Simple brew, and a favourite with our golf group". From what I've found, a good beer is much more a result of the thought put into the recipe rather than how simple or complex it is to make. I haven't done that recipe, but I suspect it would have lovely earthy flavours with also a slightly "gutsy" boost from the centennial. Great brew I'd expect.

Otherwise, as with most things for moi these days, I was delayed in putting down the German Pilsner until today. I had to make a few minor tweaks hop-wise 'cos some of the hops I thought were in the freezer had disappeared; but it's still a pretty standard recipe for the style.

Recipe: Phil Von Pilsen

Asst Brewer: Brunhilda

Style: German Pilsner (Pils)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 44.00 l

OG: 1.053 SG

Estimated Color: 6.3 EBC

Estimated IBU: 28.3 IBUs

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Amt Name %/IBU

8.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) 91.9 %

0.30 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) 3.2 %

0.30 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) 3.2 %

0.15 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC) 1.6 %

100.00 g Spalt Spalter [3.50 %] - Boil @60 20.0 IBUs

60.00 g Hallertauer [2.90 %] - Boil @15 4.9 IBUs

40.00 g Hallertauer [2.90 %] - Boil @10 2.4 IBUs

30.00 g Hallertauer [2.90 %] - Boil @5 1.0 IBUs

German Lager X Yeast (White Labs #WLP835)

The thing that really surprised me was how easy doing a triple decoction mash was (even if it was very time consuming -- over 2.5 hrs for a 90 min mash but it'll get quicker from here I hope). Yet it really improved efficiency a lot, and I hit all the numbers which I hadn't done for a while.

I'm gonna follow the yeast instructions exactly, so the FV has been sealed and put in the fridge overnight to cool to 5C, and the yeast pitched in the morning and the temp controller set to 11C to ferment. So fingers crossed.

I found my efficiency increased as well when I did that step mash on my sort of BoPils recipe the other week. I hope it works out because it took about 5 hours with the damn thing struggling to heat it towards the latter half of the mash. Anyway, looks like a nice recipe though. Are you going to live on the edge and try the quick lager method on it? devil

Are you going to live on the edge and try the quick lager method on it? devil

You're nearly as big a stirrer as I! lol

Nah. Fortunately I've got quite a few brews on hand, so it won't be a biggie to tie up the fridge for 5 weeks or so. And I'm a bit lucky 'cos I have a nice cool place to do Mr Magnificent's ale without needing the fridge this time of year.

My next fridge brew will also be a Czech Pilsener and I've got in 250g Saaz for it. It'll also be a 44 litre knockout but using White Labs WLP802 Czech Budejovice Lager Yeast (IIRC you used the Wyeast Urquell). But after today, I'll certainly do a decoction mash.

Cheers

And I'm a bit lucky 'cos I have a nice cool place to do Mr Magnificent's ale without needing the fridge this time of year.

I've had to crack out the heat-pad already to keep my current and previous batch at 18C overnight and stop my WLP006 going into hibernation ... looks like it will be a cold winter! crying

Good luck with the brew by the way! Sounds like it will be very tasty, hope all the hard work that went into the mash pays off.

You're nearly as big a stirrer as I! lol

lol

Fair point. I could put my pils in the FV and get it going now and do a reduced lagering time but not as much as the quick method if I wanted to' date=' but I am keen to try that out and see how it goes, so I'll leave it for another week or two. I do have a pouch of the Urquell lager yeast yes. I was tossing up between it and the Budvar (Budejovice) one. I'll re-use it a number of times but next time I need a new yeast for pils beers I might give the Budvar a go.

I have a brew day happening on Saturday which is the "proper" pils recipe using all Saaz hops. Looking forward to it. [img']happy[/img]

Recipe: Fanta Pants II

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American Amber Ale

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.056 SG

Estimated Color: 28.1 EBC

Estimated IBU: 45.7 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

5.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

4.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 2 73.4 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 3 18.3 %

0.30 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 4 5.5 %

0.10 kg Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC) Grain 5 1.8 %

0.05 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 6 0.9 %

20.00 g Chinook [12.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 24.6 IBUs

4.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -

75.00 g Melba [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 m Hop 9 21.1 IBUs

Probably a 25g dry hop as well. And MJ's British Ale yeast.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm beginning to regret I just slagged you off in the "BIAB me" thread since it's obvious you're not a well man (????). OG only 1.056? IBU only 46? For no particular reason, would you be kind enough to ask your long suffering better half to remove all sharp objects, firearms, medications etc in your house?

On a side note, I just got some stuff in for better and quicker wort aeration. Even though I was with it in the batcave at the time, I obviously wasn't paying sufficient attention. After 20 mins it may have been a little too much. The eldest heir came down and took a pic, and once I can talk him into getting it off his phone, I'll post it here.

Aeration.jpg

Okely Dokely! Finally pulled out the digit and think I have settled on my take of Mr Malodorous's Dreadnought Bitter. Obviously in the conversion to AG it will somewhat differ, but it should be perty close, I hope.

Recipe: Magneto Man's Dreadnought ESB

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 17.9 EBC

Estimated IBU: 36.3 IBUs

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name %/IBU

3.00 kg Golden Promise (6.0 EBC) 53.6 %

2.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) 35.7 %

0.30 kg Crystal, Dark (Simpsons) (157.6 EBC) 5.4 %

0.30 kg Melanoiden Malt (39.4 EBC) 5.4 %

20.00 g Target [11.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 24.5 IBUs

25.00 g Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 5.7 IBUs

15.00 g Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 5.1 IBUs

10.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min 1.1 IBUs

Yeast: Probably WL Burton or MJ Newcastle Dark Ale

Fingers crossed it should be brewed tomorrow. Cheers.

Brew day today! A few roster changes this week forced me to brew a little earlier in the week.

I've been giving this brew a lot of thought over the last week or so & put together the following a little earlier today.

Midstrength Nirvana IPA:

Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale kit 1.7kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

CaraHell grain 200gms

CaraBohemian 100gms

½ tsp yeast nutrient @ 15mins

Ella 20gms, Mosaic 15gms, & Citra 15gms post boil steeped once wort hits 70°C for 30mins

Riwaka, Mosaic, Citra 20gms each dry hopped

Re-hydrated US-05 yeast

Brewed to 23 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.035

FG = approx. 1.008

EBC = 11.6

IBU = 36.2

Kegged ABV = approx. 3.5%

Smelled really good as I was pitching the yeast. Hopefully produces a nice beer at the right levels on the palate for a low ABV beer.

I'll update down the track.

Lusty.

Mr MagicMan's Dreadnought is just about to hit the hotbreak. Since I was the butt of criticism from him regarding the colour of a previous ESB, viz.,

Looks good' date=' is it's colour a bit light?[/quote'] sad

And then there was an opinionated power-hungry indigent who said:

...your ESB was a tad light in colour and was a little less bitter than I would like so there take that!!!
pouty

So after being discharged from the mental health unit with a script for lithium' date=' I decided to change the dark crystal to Special B. But the good news is I found a replacement website for Silk Road and a guy there has an introductory April offer to knee cap two people for the price of one. Don't be surprised if you guys have a visitor this weekend! [img']lol[/img]

Cheers

Thinking about doing a Pale Ale tin, be2,500 grams coopers ldm and dump it onto my scottish ale trub and 50 gram Willamette dry hop at day 4, brew at 20 degrees. Any thoughts against reusing the trub I have done it a few times before with good results.

That should work out really well - I love Willamette as a hop. Since I'm a mad ESBer, I'd use the English kit, but I'm certain the Aus Pale Ale will work out really well too. As for using the trub, yeah go for it. It should take off pretty quickly and using it from a Scottish should mean there won't be a lot of hops in there.

Cheers

I'd suggest you bring the trub to the same temp as the wort you are pitching into it; if they are both at room temp that would be ideal. If you have a second fermenter or another large vessel you can sanitise, I'd mix the new brew in that. Then when they are at the same temp, pour the new wort on top of the trub (and not too gently).

In my view, it's good to get it all mixed together initially, and stir the hell out of it to aerate it well (or use some other method of aeration). Don't worry about it though, 'cos the trub will drop out again pretty quickly after the really vigous part of fermentation is done.

Archived