Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

Wow! It looks awesome' date=' Ben!![img']w00t[/img]w00t. {/quote]

Whirlpool hop at the end there...

Going to use MJ's British Ale.

And for the berries I may very well dry hop. Made some gin a while by soaking the berries in homemade vodka and it came out well.

Right. Whirlpool. Gotcha'whistling

Berries dry hopped might be good. Get some in the boil though, eh!

Hey post this on the "Viking beer" thread to keep that one up to date , eh?

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Double Chocolate Stout

Recipe came from AHB and was adapted to 15 litres and I used Willamette because I wanted to use up what I had. Bring on winter!

BB Ale Malt 2.40 kg

TF Pale Chocolate 0.23 kg

Flaked Oats 0.16 kg

BB Dark Crystal 0.23 kg

Willamette 27g @ 60 Mins

Goldings 12g @ 15 Mins

Cocoa 130g @ 15 Mins

Dark Chocolate 65g @ 15 Mins

Lactose 270g @ 15 Mins

Golden Syrup 245g @ 15 Mins

S-04

Predicted OG 1.058 IBU 28.5

FG 1.015 EBC 49.1

%alc Bottle 6.0

Brew day today. happy

I had to make some alterations to the planned Kolsch recipe, as I couldn't get hold of any Rye malt, or Galaxy hops. I've also decided to lower the ABV% as the style is described as a "Lawnmower Ale" & to me at least, a 5.0%+ ABV probably isn't necessary.

Pacific Kölsch Ale:

Briess Pilsen Light Liquid Malt Extract 1.5kg

Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract 1kg

Ale Malt grain 250gms

CaraHell 200gms

Ella (14.3%AA) 10gms @ FWH

Ella 10gms @ 5mins

Ella 60gms dry hopped

Wyeast 2565 Kölsch yeast (1½ litre starter)

Brew to 22 litres

Ferment @ 15°C

OG = approx. 1.044

FG = approx. 1.009-1.011

EBC = 5.8

ABV = approx. 4.4%

A little disappointed I couldn't get hold of the rye malt in time as I reckon it would of added a nice element into this beer, but am less disappointed about having to use the Ella hop in place of Galaxy. The last time I used this hop was in a brew that I took bits & pieces from what was disclosed about the Punk IPA, & a discussion a few here on the forum were having on replicating the Beechworth Pale Ale. It ended up a very nice beer, & very different to most of the pale ales I usually make. cool

I felt the aromatics from this hop were very good, & being a half sister to Galaxy should hold it in good stead here. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brew Day!! yesterdaysmile

Tim Thomson PA TT Landlord clone

6.14 Kg ESB Pale malt (Gambrinus)

.5 Kg Honey Malt (Gambrinus)

67g Willemette 5.5% 60mins

15g EKG 4.3% 15min

20g EKG 0mins

5 tsp. Yeast nutrient

1 Whirlfloc tab

1.5 L WLP028 & WLP005 split

40L RO 100%

Water profile: (Salts added)

Ca 88g

Mg 10g

Na 18

SO4 187

Cl 47

HCO3 47

OG 1.044 IBU 27 BHE 85% 75 min Boil

This is a rare brew day that went along without a hitch. everything went very smooth.

This is the first brew I've done starting with 100% RO water and building the profile from scratch.

The first time in a very long time I've used yeast nutrients. The ferment is going crazy right now @ 19C.

I don't really think I'll be anywhere close to the real TT landlord but I don't really care. If all things go right it should be an awesome couple of brews.smile

Ella (14.3%AA) 10gms @ FWH

Ella 10gms @ 5mins

Ella 60gms dry hopped

What's the IBU's? Seems light on bitterness. I don't know the style well' date=' though.[/quote']

I don't have accurate calculations for the FWH in IanH's Spreadsheet, so didn't bother to list IBU here. I use 70mins as a guide in the spreadsheet, that gives me 20.2 as a number here. I used 25gms of galaxy once in this scenario & it presented too sharp a bitterness, so 10-15gms seems likely here. It's not meant to be an overly bitter beer anyway, but hopefully some of the spicy notes from Ella will help out here.

Time will tell.

Good luck with your TT-like brew Chad. wink

Edit: I just threw the FWH in & decided to up that to 12gms just to be on the safe side. Cheers Chad. smile

Cheers,

Lusty.

Happy to report the Kolsch brew had noticeable signs of fermentation at around 8-9 hours after pitching.

The Canuck got me that paranoid about having enough bitterness, not only did I up the FWH addition, but I also shifted the 5min addition forward in the boil to 10mins! tongue

That's a 6 point IBU shift, & should put it in a safe zone.

All bopping away nicely @ 15°C. happy

Cheers,

Lusty.

Three brew days starting tomorrow.

The eldest heir has done a lot of recipe examination and has decided he'd like to do the Coopers Abbey Blonde recipe. Since he's only starting, at my insistence it will absolutely according to PB2s instructions.

Then on Wednesday, I'll be putting on a German Pilsner (recipe below), then Magnaman's recipe on Friday.

Recipe: Phil Von Pilsen

Style: German Pilsner (Pils)

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 55.34 l

Post Boil Volume: 47.84 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 42.00 l

Bottling Volume: 42.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.052 SG

Estimated Color: 6.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 31.0 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 82.1 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

8.50 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.3 EBC) Grain 1 91.9 %

0.30 kg Acidulated (Weyermann) (3.5 EBC) Grain 2 3.2 %

0.30 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 3.2 %

0.15 kg Carahell (25.0 EBC) Grain 4 1.6 %

80.00 g Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 21.1 IBUs

75.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [2.90 %] - Boil Hop 6 6.3 IBUs

30.00 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Steep Hop 7 3.5 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Decoction Mash, Triple, Lager

Total Grain Weight: 9.25 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time

Dough-In Add 19.87 l of water at 21.1 C 21.1 C 15 min

Acid Rest Add 12.06 l of water at 80.3 C 40.6 C 20 min

Protein Rest Decoct 6.25 l of mash and boil it 50.0 C 10 min

Dextrinization Re Decoct 13.55 l of mash and boil it 67.2 C 20 min

Mash Out Decoct 11.34 l of mash and boil it 76.7 C 5 min

Ooops. I forgot. Never tried it before, but using WLP835 - German Lager X yeast.

G'day CanCanMan

Even if it doesn't end up a clone of the Landlord, it looks like a really nice brew. What volume did you get into the FV?

Your Pilsner recipe looks really good P2.

Have you used Acidulated Malt before? I understand it helps to balance/adjust mash pH among other things. I was just wondering what else it brings to the party? unsure

Good luck with the brew. wink

Lusty.

Hey BL

This will be the first time I've used it, but that's my understanding too (at rates up to 5% of the grain bill). It's meant to be particularly helpful for pilsners (according to Weyermann).

And not that I've ever done one, but apparently you can use it in sour beers at around 10% as well.

However it goes, it'll be a good experiment!

Thanks mate.

With this Kolsch I'm working on, I've played it safe the first time by minimizing grain additions & stuck with more extract. Pilsner & lager type brews can expose weaknesses in your techniques as there really is nowhere to hide flavour-wise with them.

If the brew turns out well, I may go to a bit more trouble by creating a larger mash based content next time including some Acidulated Malt. So I'll be very hopeful to hear the words "crisp" & "clean" when you are drinking that Pilsner of yours! wink

Your brewing has come along way in a short time. That's some serious step mashing there!

Cheers,

Lusty.

If I wasn't doing BIAB I'd have a go at a decoction myself. It's just too much faffing about with BIAB for mine. I don't have any way of boiling the part mash close to the urn either.. I'd have to be running up and down stairs every time with a pot full of hot or boiling mash. ninja

Anyway, good luck with it mate, keen to hear how it turns out!

Today for me is an ingredients run to Craftbrewer. I have on my list, a sack of Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pils malt, Wyeast 2001 Urquell Lager yeast, and my brewing salts, (gypsum, chalk, calcium chloride and magnesium sulfate), obviously I can get table salt and bi-carb soda anywhere. Will have a look and see if they have a decent sized stiff bristled brush I can use to clean my flasks out too.

Cheers

Kelsey

G'day CanCanMan

Even if it doesn't end up a clone of the Landlord' date=' it looks like a really nice brew. What volume did you get into the FV?[/quote']

Thanks Phil,

I was able to collect a little more than 40L. The primary ferment is now done and it was vigorous to say the least. Things have died down now and it's all a waiting game now.

G'day guys,

Brew day today and yet another IPA!

Morgans Caramalt 1.5kg

Morgans extra pale 1.5kg

1kg LDM

500g Caramunich 2

30g Simcoe @ 60 min

30g Citra @ 5 min

30g Amarillo @ 5 min

30g Cascade @ 5 min

Dry hopping with 100-120g of Citra, Cascade and Amarillo.

Essex Ale yeast Wlp022 I heard it has similar characteristics to us -05 so I thought I'd give it a crack.

23lt batch estimated IBU 58.3, estimated EBC 24.1.

Cheers

G'day guys' date='

Brew day today and yet another IPA!

Morgans Caramalt 1.5kg

Morgans extra pale 1.5kg

1kg LDM

500g Caramunich 2

30g Simcoe @ 60 min

30g Citra @ 5 min

30g Amarillo @ 5 min

30g Cascade @ 5 min

Dry hopping with 100-120g of Citra, Cascade and Amarillo.

Essex Ale yeast Wlp022 I heard it has similar characteristics to us -05 so I thought I'd give it a crack.

23lt batch estimated IBU 58.3, estimated EBC 24.1.

Cheers[/quote']

Looks really good Brownsworthy!

Depending on yeast attenuation, upwards of 6.0% ABV should create a nice malt backbone to all those hops.

I'm getting real hungry for a big IPA again, & have loaded up on hops recently to have a go at something in the Ben10 territory! biggrin

Good luck with the brew, & let us know how it turns out!

P.S. @ an estimated 1.063 OG, I hope you pitched enough yeast! wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Thanks Phil,

The Burton ale yeast has gone brilliantly had about 5-6 inch krausen after 36hrs and and was bubbling like mad through the blow off tube and had a beautiful floral and fruit aroma checked sg day 6 it was 1.016 didn't get to check it again until day 12 and it had come down to 1.009 and is currently ccing.

Got my fingers crossed with the Essex I reckon it'll go well I'll throw both viles in as my og should be around 1.063.

Cheers mate I'll keep you posted.

Archived