Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

It turned out to be a huge brew day yesterday and it became obvious 17 kg grain is way too much for my lil' esky. A stuck mash quite a few times. A very thick mash (which even broke a Coopers spoon from a DIY kit in two). I'm wondering if I made the wrong Scottish recipe and it was meant to look like this:

haggis.jpg

Consequently I had to use a lot of sparge water for the runnings, and I still left a helluva lot of sugars in the mash tun. But last night there was a 55 litre boil that got 42 litres into FVs at 1.075 (instead of a hoped for 1.085). Finally did a clean up at about 1 am and off to bed.

This morning there was still about 17 litres of runnings at 1.040 left over, so the 20 litre BigW pot was harnessed and 13 litres of 1.048 was put into another fermenter.

So the moral of the story is: when will I ever start learning from my mistakes!!!!!! crying

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear the red ale brew day went well John, should turn out pretty bang on by the sounds of things. I think my OG has crept up a bit on the last couple of batches I've done too. I have heard of people no-chilling in the kettle, although they usually just stick al-foil over the top of the pot. I don't really think 90 minute mashes give any better efficiency to be honest, since pretty well all the conversion is done in the first 30 minutes. I do 90 minute mashes, probably not necessary, but I suppose it does give me more time to clean up equipment no longer needed. tongue

KR, I have found that my temps drop further than predicted when I put my grains in the bag as well. Beersmith usually says to have the strike water 2 or 3 C hotter than the intended mash temp but it always drops further than that in my experience. Having said that, I'm measuring this temp from the top of the liquor rather than in the grains themselves, so I dunno what difference in temp there is there. You'd think after giving it a good stir that it would be pretty even throughout the whole urn. Certainly, I pretty well always hit my predicted FG so the temps can't be too far off. Losing 1 degree over 60 minutes isn't an issue. I regularly lose 3 or 4 degrees over the 90 minutes without any negative impact on the finished beer, that I can tell anyway. I think your bug problem is not really a problem either.

Cheers

Kelsey

Having said that' date=' I'm measuring this temp from the top of the liquor rather than in the grains themselves,[/quote']

I use a probe and stick it in the wort and find I get what Beersmith says. I also find a stir and moving the probe around gives different results too so you may find it is not all even.

That's the one. It's all about knowing thy system and thus being able to know the results. Helps heaps when making a beer.

Big IPA time. Big salt additions too.

Recipe: Hop2iT VIII

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.074 SG

Estimated Color: 14.6 EBC

Estimated IBU: 72.5 IBUs

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

10.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

3.50 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -

1.50 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 4 69.0 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 5 13.8 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 6 13.8 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 7 3.4 %

20.00 g Chinook [12.60 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 8 25.0 IBUs

4.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -

75.00 g Melba [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 m Hop 10 18.2 IBUs

40.00 g Chinook [12.60 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 11 8.1 IBUs

25.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 12 8.4 IBUs

20.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20. Hop 13 12.7 IBUs

25.00 g Chinook [12.60 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

25.00 g Melba [9.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

21.00 g Jarrylo [15.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Simcoe [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting down the "Red rattler Ale" this morning. Just steeping the caramunich as we speak. Looks like it will be a nice brew I think, also, due to it needing the 22 degree ferment temp it will be my first brew I have to use my heat belt in my brew fridge.

Should I just wrap it around the bottom of the FV? It certainly gets quite warm from when I tested it when I first got it. Or perhaps just leave it sitting in there somewhere and leave the little computer fan I have in there to circulate the warm air around? (using a temp controller btw)

Hi Ben.

Beastly hop bill again! 150gms @ flameout! Nice. cool

I was wondering if you could tell me the alpha on the Chinook you used in the FWH addition?

I currently don't have an accurate means of calculating IBU from FWH additions. IanH's spreadsheet was never designed for utilizing this. I've sort of been 'winging it' from first hand knowledge gained over time & from what is claimed it produces in articles on the subject.

Knowing the alpha of the Chinook in your recipe will help me devise a more accurate formula to work off in the spreadsheet.

Cheers & good luck with "Hop2iT VIII",

Lusty.

Or perhaps just leave it sitting in there somewhere and leave the little computer fan I have in there to circulate the warm air around? (using a temp controller btw)

This.

cheers for that ... just finished' date=' all went perfectly , hit my OG spot on at 1.051 , only worry will be if the BRY97 lets me down again ... I almost went and bought a pack of us05 instead but I thought if coopers has that much faith in it then I will give it one more go. Hopefully the packet of coopers yeast that I threw into the boil as a nutrient will give it a kick start this time...we shall see. [img']whistling[/img]

Glad to hear the red ale brew day went well John' date=' should turn out pretty bang on by the sounds of things. I think my OG has crept up a bit on the last couple of batches I've done too.[/quote']

G'day Kelsey,

What is your usual FG for this? Mine's down to 1.012 today so I popped in the 15g NZ Cascade dry hop.

Also, I remember you saying the dark malt was only for colour, but my hydrometer sample had a bit of a roasty edge to it. Do you find you get this during fermentation, but it fades in the finished beer?

Cheers,

John

G'day Kelsey' date='

What is your usual FG for this? Mine's down to 1.012 today so I popped in the 15g NZ Cascade dry hop.

Also, I remember you saying the dark malt was only for colour, but my hydrometer sample had a bit of a roasty edge to it. Do you find you get this during fermentation, but it fades in the finished beer?

Cheers,

John[/quote']

Hey John,

Mine has ranged between 1009 and 1011 on the three times I've brewed it (thought I'd brewed it more often, maybe I missed recording one of them) anyway, so yeah. It sounds like it's probably pretty close if not finished, depending on the fermentability of the wort of course.

I can't say I do get a roasted flavour but I do use black patent malt rather than roasted barley. I use about 350g black patent in my porter recipe and don't really get any roasted flavour; I don't think it gives a roasty flavour like roasted barley does. I used a heap of roasted barley in a stout recipe a while back and the difference was evident between it and the porter. Perhaps this is why you are experiencing a slight roasty flavour.

Cheers

Kelsey

So the moral of the story is: when will I ever start learning from my mistakes!!!!!! crying

An answer from Clint Eastwood (as Dirty Harry).

biggrin

Ohh btw P2' date=' please remove that picture of what I can only assume is a haggis. It looks like something that vomited & was then was eaten by something that in-turn vomited... [img']sick[/img]

...or is it a snapshot of a scene from Day of the Triffids? unsuretongue

It looks like that thing that infected that batch of lager of mine a couple of years ago has escaped the confines of my backyard and mutated! loltongue

lol

Said in my best Neil from 'The Young Ones' voice' date='...

"Great! That's all we need. A lager monster running around!"

[img']biggrin[/img]

Recipe: House Porter (Porterhouse)

Style: Robust Porter

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.066 SG

Estimated Color: 64.2 EBC

Estimated IBU: 60.1 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.50 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 1 68.7 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 15.3 %

0.50 kg Brown Malt (Simpsons) (295.5 EBC) Grain 3 7.6 %

0.35 kg Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC) Grain 4 5.3 %

0.20 kg Roasted Malt (Joe White) (1199.7 EBC) Grain 5 3.1 %

26.00 g Chinook [12.60 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 6 34.7 IBUs

25.00 g Northern Brewer [5.85 %] - First Wort 90 Hop 7 15.5 IBUs

50.00 g Marynka [7.30 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 8 9.9 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Ben

That sure sounds like a big porter. It's an American style I guess, eh? I'm not familiar with all the hops in the bill. It should be a real toe curler.

My last brew day I also put down a porter. Mine was a English style honey porter a little lighter than yours.

Honey Brown Porter

4.5 kg pale ale malt

.9kg Honey malt

.5 kg flaked barley

.5 kg Crystal 80

.23 chocolate malt

.3 kg Carafa 1

10g magnum 60mins

20 g Challenger 60mins

25g Fuggles 15 mins

20g EKG 5 mins

40l Golden tap water

WLP028

3g gypsum

1g CaCl

OG 1.044 mashed at 67C IBU 24 ferment at 19c

It's an American style I guess' date=' eh?[/quote']

Dunno, I went with Robust Porter and pushed it a bit. OG is 1069 so should be a good one before bed.

Yours looks good too.

G'day Brewers, put this basic brew on today, Nut Brown Ale, used 350 grams of Crystal and added 16 grams of EKG and 16 grams of Centennial hops for a 10 minute boil, used an older kit yeast in the boil as nutrient and pitched 2X kit yeast @ 20C and will ferment @ 18C. wink

Cheers.

Hi Magnaman.

G'day Brewers' date=' put this basic brew on today, Nut Brown Ale, used 350 grams of Crystal and added 16 grams of EKG and 16 grams of Centennial hops for a 10 minute boil, used an older kit yeast in the boil as nutrient and pitched 2X kit yeast @ 20C and will ferment @ 18C. wink

It certainly shouldn't lack bitterness. At approx. 52 IBU, it should be noticeable in the final 4.8% beer. Flavour-wise I'd imagine the EKG & Centennial would work well together.

Good luck with the brew, & let us know how it turns out.

Lusty.

G'day Sir Lusty, comes out 41 IBU's in Ian H's spreadsheet for me, but no matter I do like a little bitterness. devil

On the other hand the bitterness should balance out with the extra amount of crystal. wink

I'll let you know if it's a winner or a looser. lol

Cheers.

Archived