Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? 2015

Canadian Eh!L

Okay im finally home from work offshore and got cracking on my 1st ever brew.... went with a Canadian blonde with 1KG of the LHBS brew enhancer #3 (cant be effed with the OS lager that came with kit)

all went well, pitched at 21 degs cool (pre chilled water), currently sitting in my dedicated temp controlled fridge in the kitchen @ 18.5..biggrin

OG was a little low at 1035 i though but meh see what happens.

will leave it for 14 days and CC for 2 after that.

will be stored for 2 months whilst im back offshore for work. should be at its peak by then.

straight after that will be a EB ready for winter.

hopefully the attached pic works. all in all pretty stoked with my 1st attempt, read lots and made sure i got it right the 1st time round.

11069935_10153143799120420_8023940316437325576_n.jpg?oh=9b41c5701cc7e0f0b9a7de4298f4e8f3&oe=557318F9

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G'day Bob

Don't know what's in LHBS Enhancer #3, but that should be a nice refreshing mid-strength to look forward to. Great job.

You might like to have a glance at this thread on how to post pics.

Cheers and love your music (especially the album Desire).

Hi Chad.

Brew Day!!

Recipe: Cat's Rye IPA

American RIPA

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.058 SG

Estimated Color: 14.7 EBC

Estimated IBU: 61.3 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

40.00 l Golden' date=' BC CAN Water 1 -

7.46 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 80.4 %

0.99 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 3 10.7 %

0.83 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (78.8 EBC) Grain 4 8.9 %

18.44 g Amarillo Gold [7.90 %'] - First Wort 75.0 Hop 5 10.2 IBUs

18.44 g Chinook [13.00 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 6 16.7 IBUs

15.00 g Cascade [8.00 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 7 8.4 IBUs

22.13 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 11.4 IBUs

18.44 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 14.6 IBUs

2.11 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -

20.00 g Cascade [8.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs

20.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

10.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 14 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 9.29 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash In Add 24.22 l of water at 77.6 C 66.7 C 60 min

This is the first brew that I used my HERMS setup and false bottom in my MLT. It went ok. I'll have to get used to it though.

WHAT?? No oak chips??? tonguelol

Sorry I'm a bit late commenting on this one. It looks really good Chad. cool

I've noticed you have grown to be very confident & comfortable with your FWH'ing these days, & I reckon that's great! happy

Down the track, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of this in the glass, & reading what you think of it. Whenever you post an IPA recipe, I certainly give it a good looking over, as I reckon you're a pretty damn good judge of one!

Cheers, & good luck with the new setup. wink

P.S. I hope the arm issues are continuing to improve.

Lusty.

Hey Lusty,

I've done this one a few times before with good success. This ones' a bit different beccause I had no Citra on hand but basically the same. I really have no problem FWHing anything. I think it is a totally acceptable addition to most brews.

Brew day! happy

Big brew today. Pretty important brew for me this one. If it presents as well as I hope it will, I may enter this brew in a local comp later this year.

Coopers Liquid Light Malt Extract 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 500gms

Aromatic Malt grain 500gms

Ale Malt grain 250gms

CaraBohemian grain 250gms

CaraMalt grain 200gms

Simcoe 10gms @ 60mins

Cascade 15gms @ 20mins

Riwaka 15gms @ 10mins

Chinook 10gms @ 5mins

Cascade 20gms @ flameout

Simcoe 10gms @ flameout

Riwaka 20gms dry hopped

Motueka 10gms dry hopped

US-05 yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment @ 18°C

OG = approx. 1.048

FG = approx. 1.013

EBC = 21.3

IBU = approx. 30.4

Bottled ABV = approx. 5.0%

I'm interested to see how the CaraBohemian presents as it is the first time I've used this grain. Putting a version down now so if I do have to alter anything, I'll have time to do so, re-brew it & taste again etc. Fingers crossed I don't have to change anything. wink

Cheers,

Lusty.

Brewing this English Bitter tomorrow, thanks Hairy!

1.7kg English Bitter kit

1kg Marris Otter

500g Light Dry Malt

300g Medium Crystal malt

30g Styrian Goldings @ 10 minutes

30g Styrian Goldings - dry hopped

1098 British Ale Wyeast

23 litres

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Brewing this English Bitter tomorrow' date=' thanks Hairy!

1.7kg English Bitter kit

1kg Marris Otter

500g Light Dry Malt

300g Medium Crystal malt

1098 British Ale Wyeast

23 litres

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Looks good Mark wink

This lunch time I bottled 38 Authentic IPAs, tasted very fruity and was more cloudy, compared to the last time I brewed it up. OK I used 500g hopped spray malt and 500g light spray malt.

Then after a cleaning everything I put down the Marilyn's Secret, came out at OG 1053 and will be dry hopped in a week and left for two.

That was nearly three hours work.

This lunch time I bottled 38 Authentic IPAs' date=' tasted very fruity and was more cloudy, compared to the last time I brewed it up. OK I used 500g hopped spray malt and 500g light spray malt.

Then after a cleaning everything I put down the Marilyn's Secret, came out at OG 1053 and will be dry hopped in a week and left for two.

That was nearly three hours work. [/quote']

Pint, as you do more brews and bottling, you will reduce that time by a fair bit.

Well this was all included from cleaning kitchen before until after, so the lady friend would see the mess. And I took my time it was my day off after all :)

Just one more brew, a pale ale I think, and I should be covered for the sommer. Well it will use up all the storage space I got.

Put down my first all grain this weekend.

Decided to do it in a 1 gallon demijohn for ease of sparge and to keep waste to a minimum if i bugger it up.

Brew #7: Oat and Sultana Biscuit Stout (3.8L)

Mash 60 mins:

450g Pilsner malt

140g Chocolate malt

140g Rolled oats

90g Carra malt

Boil 60 mins:

6g EK Golding hop pellets @ 0 min

1 x teaspoon ground cinnamon @ 30 min

3g EK Golding hop pellets @ 45 min

30g Sultanas @ 60 min

60g Brown sugar @ 60 min

US05 yeast rehydrated

Wort temp: 21C

Wort V: 3.8L

OG: 1043

Notes: Mat have strained out too much hops in transfer from pot to demijohn.

Will bulk prime with golden syrup or maple syrup. Thoughts?

Brew Day tomoz.

Brewing Otto's Squaw Red Ale. I will be following Kelsey's recipe to the T with minor water adjustments to increase the Calcium, Chloride and Sulphate levels of the Valley Water.

Won't be able to report on the results until sometime in June.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Brew

Brewing this English Bitter tomorrow' date=' thanks Hairy!

1.7kg English Bitter kit

1kg Marris Otter

500g Light Dry Malt

300g Medium Crystal malt

1098 British Ale Wyeast

23 litres

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Looks good Mark wink

OG was 1039.

IanH's sheet calculated that WITHOUT the Maris Otter the OG would have been around 1033. Is 6 pts a decent result from 1kg of grain??

I would have expected about 10 points from 1kg Marris Otter but perhaps your efficiency was a little less than I anticipated.

You can top it up with dry malt to get you to early 1040's if you like.

Brew Day tomoz.

Brewing Otto's Squaw Red Ale. I will be following Kelsey's recipe to the T with minor water adjustments to increase the Calcium' date=' Chloride and Sulphate levels of the Valley Water.

Won't be able to report on the results until sometime in June.

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

[i']Valley Brew[/i]

Hopefully it turns out well for you mate! cool

Hi Mark.

OG was 1039.

IanH's sheet calculated that WITHOUT the Maris Otter the OG would have been around 1033. Is 6 pts a decent result from 1kg of grain??

You can cheat & place base malt grains in the specialty grain section of IanH's spreadsheet. Provided you enter the potential correctly for the grain it can be used here. There are a couple of things to be aware of if you do this though.

• Provided your mashing & sparging technique is of a good standard' date=' your OG should match or be very close to what is projected by IanH's spreadsheet even with the inclusion of base malt grains. If you are not close to this number then the volume of wort you are drawing away from the combined mash & sparge is most likely not enough, & a revision of practices, technique & intended volume is advised.
    [/list']

• Your eventual FG can be, & often will be slightly lower than what the spreadsheet projects with the inclusion of base malt grains because they are more fermentable than specialty grains. The more base malt grain you use, the more likely the FG is to be further away from the projected target that is using a formula based on a certain unfermentable percentage attributed to specialty grains.

All the technical jargon aside, as long as you are hitting a stable FG & the beer tastes good, then it really doesn't matter all that much as an extract/partial brewer (IMHO). If you are however planning to move into All-Grain brewing then monitoring & maximizing what is attainable through the mashing & sparging process becomes a critical part of creating your desired beer flavour as you don't have any extract malts to fall back on when producing your entire wort from a grain base.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Afternoon, thought I leave a note here, new to brewing and quite excited about my new hobby.

I have currently going a Brewferm Gallia on the Coopers DIY kit and a Coopers Mexican Cerveza on another kit.

The Gallia has been fermenting 9 days now, the label says 10 days - but the measurement says only 1018 sofar - Guess I must wait a week more or so ?? ....patience is the hardest thing in the beginning.

The Cerveza has been fermenting since Saturday with good activity in the airlock, so will wait at least until coming Saturday.

One question to all you experienced brewers: when I have the hydrometer in the tube, it will slowly move upwards when it is long in the tube, is this because of the upwards force of the brew?

Excited about this and looking forward to be able to share some results with you.

One question to all you experienced brewers: when I have the hydrometer in the tube' date=' it will slowly move upwards when it is long in the tube, is this because of the upwards force of the brew?

[/quote']

Sort of. It's actually the carbon dioxide produced by fermentation that is pushing it up. If you want to get an accurate reading, you have to de-gas the sample. This can be done by throwing it between a couple of glasses.

The annoying thing of course is, there are still yeast in suspension in the sample which if still fermenting will still produce gas, so it can be difficult to get rid of it.

A small gypsum addition in an attempt to alleviate the chill haze issue.

Recipe: Hop 2iT VI

Brewer: Grumpy

Style: American IPA

--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.063 SG

Estimated Color: 14.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 62.9 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %

Ingredients:

------------

7.50 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 1 -

3.00 kg Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EB Grain 2 48.9 %

2.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 3 32.6 %

1.00 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 4 16.3 %

0.14 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 5 2.3 %

15.00 g Chinook [12.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.4 IBUs

4.00 g Brewbrite (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -

53.00 g Vic Secret [15.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 8 23.6 IBUs

50.00 g Topaz [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 9 21.9 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 6.14 kg

----------------------------

Total cost $22.18

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H7XzD24.jpg

That, my liege, is a really good looking crush. What's the roller separation?

And I see you use Brewbrite. I used it a couple of times quite a while ago and was very impressed. I need to source some more now.

The only problem I see is an OG of 1.062. Maybe you could add a litre or two of pure ethanol immediately after primary! ninja

I use brewbrite as well, and while I find that it definitely helps with dropping the break material out after the boil, I haven't noticed any improvement in final beer clarity compared to before I started using it. I may just revert back to using Whirlfloc (since I don't have to drive half an hour for it), and fine the beer with gelatine during the cold crashing phase.

Next batch I'm experimenting with dumping all the kettle trub into the fermenter as well. A Brulosophy experiment indicated that clear wort doesn't equal clear beer necessarily. The one fermented with heaps of trub actually came out clearer than the one that had hardly any in it.

Archived