------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

4.50 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 78.3 %

1.00 kg Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC) Grain 2 17.4 %

0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (59.1 EBC) Grain 3 4.3 %

15.00 g Magnum [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 18.6 IBUs

25.00 g Saaz [3.03 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 5 4.4 IBUs

25.00 g Santiam [6.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 5.7 IBUs

MJs Belgian Ale. Fermented at whatever temp the shed is!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was planning on a trip to the Gold Coast this weekend but a large weather system has put a stop to that. Oh well, time to put a brew down instead!

Nelson's Mid (¿)

1.5 kg Light Dry Malt

0.5 kg Wheat Dry Malt

0.3 kg Crystal

Centennial - 30g at 30 mins

Nelson Sauvin - 15g at 10 mins

Nelson Sauvin - 20g at Flameout/Steep

Nelson Sauvin - 25g Dry Hop

1272 American Ale II Wyeast

21 litre brew

As I may have mentioned in another post, after recently brewing a kolsch, saison & wheat beer I am looking forward to a nice pale ale featuring some of my favourite hops.

Cheers + beers,

Mark

Too much aromatic?

Despite it not having a lot of diastatic power for conversion' date=' it's converted me! [img']happy[/img]

I'd only used it sparingly up until this last brew, but am really rapped with what it's done for this 4.6% ABV beer with a larger percentage in the grist.

For the beer styles I like to make, this grain is now going to be a mainstay in my malt bills.

Cheers & good brewing/smoothie making, biggrin

Lusty.

Too much aromatic?

Despite it not having a lot of diastatic power for conversion' date=' it's converted me! [img']happy[/img]

I'd only used it sparingly up until this last brew, but am really rapped with what it's done for this 4.6% ABV beer with a larger percentage in the grist.

For the beer styles I like to make, this grain is now going to be a mainstay in my malt bills.

Cheers & good brewing/smoothie making, biggrin

Lusty.

I am confused now. I thought you said the beer was shite unsure

I'll be interested in your assessment of the Rakau hops P2' date=' once your beer is drinkable. I've had it tagged as one I'd like to use for sometime now, but haven't as yet, mainly due to it not being available here in SA (to the best of my knowledge). I generally only buy my hops in 100gm bags so that I use them up while they're fresh.[/quote']

Hey Blusty

You really have to give Rakau and Kohatu a try, old friend. I just cracked a one week taster (recipe was as per post #1452 in the old thread), and in a word, it is magnificent. Even Brunhilda is raving about it, so I had to hose her down and tell her it was only a taster and I'm not going to put any more in the fridge for another few weeks (that I'll tell her about anyway!).

The title I gave it is absolutely spot on. Personally, I thinks it's along the lines of PB2s Fruit Salad Ale (FSA), but much more flavoursome and with a dominance of grapefruit and lemon flavours. The aroma seems to have a touch of pineapple. Bitterness is absolutely spot on (for my palate anyway) and a little more than the FSA, with just a touch of lingering bitterness on the tongue.

It was obviously a fluke, because somehow I managed to stuff up the mash efficiency (even though it was a BIAB), so the final beer ended up 4.5% after bottle priming. I suspect I'll only have one good beer in me in my lifetime, and this must be it.

Do yourself a favour and order some of these hops for yourself.

Cheers

Phil

TropicalAle210215.jpg

I am confused now. I thought you said the beer was shite unsure

sorry Hairy' date=' Lusty said ......

Holy F'ing shite!! is the only comment that comes to mind right now.

Please repeat.

Holy F'ing shite!!

Lusty.

Possibly a local colloquialism used as a derivation of the ubiquitous OMG (Oh my god), confusing in it's self as this seems to be the surprised utterance of the increasingly secular and atheistic populace? surprised

Cheers.

Yes, it could mean one or the other really. I'm still not sure which way to go here because some posts, and even separate comments in individual posts conflict with one another. lol

I like the joke about atheists saying "Oh my God" when they find something to be unbelievable. Anyway it's just a common phrase really.. everyone says it, regardless of whether they believe in deities or not. cool

At first I thought Lusty liked it, but then I read this:

Hi Kelsey.
So is it good or crap? lol

I've always looked at you as an exceptionally overqualified bus driver. wink

Nothing more needed to say other than you get lucky sometimes. innocent

I lucked out here' date='.... BIGTIME!

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

I always thought that lucking out was negative unsure

Anyway, if the beer was nice then good stuff!

Hi P2.

Thanks for your thoughts on the Rakau, & congrats on the brew Phil. It looks great! cool

That particular hue would have to be my favourite. You look it at, & you just can't wait to drink it & find out what sort of expectant citrusy flavours await you on the palate! Yum!

I'll be placing an order with Craftbrewer in the next few weeks & this hop will now definitely be among those ordered.

Thanks again P2, & enjoy the beer! smile

Lusty.

Craftbrewer $9.90 for 90g.

National homebrew $6 for 100g.

Both packed in vac sealed foil.

I'm hearin' ya Ben.

I have an account with Craftbrewer & rarely need to order from them so the 3 extra bucks doesn't bother me.

If I needed to order more often outside my local suppliers' date=' then yes I would definitely switch.

Cheers,

Lusty.[/size']

Brew day today! happy

Cleanup brew to clear out a few bits & pieces.

Coopers Light LME 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt Extract 350gms

Ale Malt grain 500gms

Medium Crystal grain 230gms

CaraMunich II 220gms

Dextrose 150gms

Centennial 15gms @ 60mins

Cascade 15gms @ 20mins

Nelson Sauvin 10gms @ 10mins

Cascade 10gms @ 5mins

Cascade 15gms @ flameout

Nelson Sauvin 20gms dry hopped

Warrior 20gms dry hopped

2 x Coopers kit yeast

Brewed to 21 litres

Ferment 18-20°C.

I've been using Warrior solely for bittering, so will be interested to see whether it throws anything noteworthy as an aroma addition.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Hi Chad. smile

Lusty' date='

If you throw some oak chips at that one you got yourself a BIIPA![img']wink[/img]

Nice spot on the hop bill. It is pretty similar. No Amarillo though, & bittered lower more towards an APA than IPA @ approx. 32 IBU. wink

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks/months. Some new hops, some I haven't used in a little while, & some recipes that look like they will produce some lovely beers. Kelsey's Red Ale next week, & a crack at something like Murray's FRED IPA with some Zythos the following week to start the ball rolling... cool

I hope the arm is healing well.

Lusty.

Hi Chad. smile
Lusty' date='

If you throw some oak chips at that one you got yourself a BIIPA![img']wink[/img]

Nice spot on the hop bill. It is pretty similar. No Amarillo though, & bittered lower more towards an APA than IPA @ approx. 32 IBU. wink

Looking forward to the next couple of weeks/months. Some new hops, some I haven't used in a little while, & some recipes that look like they will produce some lovely beers. Kelsey's Red Ale next week, & a crack at something like Murray's FRED IPA with some Zythos the following week to start the ball rolling... cool

I hope the arm is healing well.

Lusty.

The malt bill might be something similar to a PM BIIPA too. unsure

The arm is coming along. It's still in a splint for another coupla' weeks, though.sad

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the brew day pics. Things looks pretty normal other than the freaky looking dude thats helping out in the first pic.crying

The mash looks a little dry during the fly sparge. Try to have 2-4 cm of water over the grain bed during the sparge to prevent the compaction of the bed. This will reduce "channeling" and"stuck mashs". You probably know this, though.smile

Oops! Sorry Chad 'cos I missed some of your last post.

I developed my own sparging system (that has never been recommended or suggested by anyone with any knowledge of brewing). After mash out has been completed, I like to slowly drain the liquid from the tun until it's a really slow trickle. Then I turn off the drain valve. My thinking is this is the way to drain as much of the concentrated wort (first runnings) as possible before any sparging.

Then I turn on the sparge arm until I get full coverage of the grain with water of the target temp. It was during that stage I took that pic. Then I try to match the rate of water coming in with the rate draining out by adjusting the ball valves by keeping a consisent 1 cm above the top of the grain. I appreciate your tip and now I'll try to keep it about 3 cm.

Ths is what I have considered a combined batch/fly sparge. But I obviously need to revise the technique now I stuffed up with a "big beer" sparge. My next approach, from your suggestion, will have to be a pure fly sparge.

Thaks mate, Phil

Haven't been at the forums for a while, but done some interesting brews for sure. Lately I've been doing more easier brews without boiling hops, but rather just dry hop them. Mexican Cerveza with 1,5kg extra light dry malt and 25g Saaz/25g Citra dry hopped was just as good as I remembered it.

Yesterday I put down a Wheat beer with 1,5kg wheat dry malt and WB-06 yeast, will dry hop it with some 900g Mango today. Had a huge success with this last year but with 1,5kg strawberries instead, will be interesting to see what the mango brings :)

Brew Day!!

Glastonbury ESB

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Boil Size: 49.93 l

Post Boil Volume: 43.68 l

Batch Size (fermenter): 40.00 l

Bottling Volume: 38.00 l

Estimated OG: 1.058 SG

Estimated Color: 19.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 34.1 IBUs

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Est Mash Efficiency: 89.3 %

Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

40.00 l Golden, BC CAN Water 1 -

8.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 2 -

4.00 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 3 -

7.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 4 79.5 %

1.00 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 5 11.4 %

0.60 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (157.6 EBC) Grain 6 6.8 %

0.20 kg White Wheat Malt (4.7 EBC) Grain 7 2.3 %

30.00 g Challenger [7.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 mi Hop 8 15.7 IBUs

20.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 9 7.7 IBUs

20.00 g Challenger [7.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 10 9.1 IBUs

2.11 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 11 -

25.00 g Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 12 1.6 IBUs

1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 13 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body

Total Grain Weight: 8.80 kg

----------------------------

Name Description Step Temperat Step Time

Mash In Add 29.95 l of water at 71.6 C 66.7 C 60 min

Mash Out Add 12.85 l of water at 98.6 C 75.6 C 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 22.94 l water at 75.6 C

Notes:

------

I'm just sparging now. More later.

Looks scrummy, Mr Golden BC! Good recipe. I'm also going ESB this weekend (because I just love them), with this one:

AESB1.jpg

I'm also hoping to get a better idea of brewhouse efficiency (after Hairsome's question) from brewing a "normal ABV" brew*. I'm also considering changing the maris to golden promise for a total of 7 kg GP.

Cheers

*Normal for everyone but B10! biggrin

Notes: Apparently the geeks have been messing with the input python script today and stuffed things up even more! If you cut'n'paste plain text into the posting box it doesn't even respect the carriage return any more (ASCII-10+ASCII-13 Characters). Well done! (That's why the recipe is poted as an image - sorry all, especially B10. Thanks for translating it below, Big Boy.)

Archived