Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Just ordered some NS, so i'll use that with the remainder.

Early days yet, like a bit of single hopping to get my head around the tastes.

Centennial, Citra, Cascade, and Motueka all covered so far. This'll show me Amarillo, then a single hopped Nelson Sauvin next. I'll combine the remainder of the two packets as you suggested.

I have a Victoria's Secret single hop recently in bottles too.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brew day Yesterday,

This time it was my "house brew"! I haven't made this one in a while.

Golden PA

4.2kg Pale Ale malt

.5kg Crystal 40L

20g Cascade 7.1% (FWH)

12g Perle 8.6% (60mins)

7g Magnum 12.5% 60mins

40g Cascade (F-out)

21L

US-05

This brew day I collected the extra runnings from the mash for use in making starters. The gravity was 1.025 preboil @ 1.5L. I'm trying to do a few things these days on brew day to maximize the power of the mash. It seems crazy not to when there is still lots to be gained from it.

Hey Ben,

Yeah, my GPA is a close cousin to the SNPAsmile. It's a great brew that's easy drinking and a relatively easy recipe to brew.

I'd be careful not to overdo it with the Nelson Sauvin. A little bit goes along way and too much will give you a real white wine thing to your beer. I would be hesitant to use it as a single hop in a brew.

I would be hesitant to use it as a single hop in a brew.

I won't go entirely single' date=' it will be with Magnum again, I rather like the clean bitterness that brings.

Thanks again for the advice.[/quote']

Do you have Chinook on hand. This is also a nice hop to use with Amarillo both for bittering and a late addition. Maybe in past of the magnum.

I like your Saison recipe Hairy (insert Yum icon). It looks very Dupont-like with the grain bill, excluding the Rye. It certainly won't lack for spiciness given the addition of the Rye in combo with good usage of Saaz. I also agree with Michael that the Danstar Belle Saison yeast is a great yeast.

As long as it doesn't end up too spicy, I reckon you're in for a real treat with this one Hairy! Please post your thoughts when it is at a suitable drinking point, & don't be afraid of increasing "The Funk" during primary fermentation! :P

Amarillo pairs really nicely with Cascade and Nelson Sauvin. Maybe consider one of these hops in your brew.

We'll slowly work Ben up to the Big Island IPA Chad! Hehehe! (insert wink icon)

I like your new found thought process with using the second runnings from the mash for other purposes' date=' especially additional brews. Agreed you could certainly use it for starters etc. but It does seem like a bit of farting around if you are attaining regular gravities around 1.025 as quoted. I reckon you'll soon become bored with the practice of making starters from it.

I agree with Chad's comments regarding the Nelson Sauvin too Ben. It does have quite a presence in a brew. I wouldn't be worried about doing a single hop brew with it, but as Chad stated, I would err on the side of caution with going to higher hopping levels that I might use with other hop varieties.

Don't be concerned about using Nelson Sauvin as a bittering hop. When compared to Magnum, their co-humulone levels are almost identical, thus equaling a smooth bitterness. Muddy Waters did a full strength adaption of PB2's Nelson's Light that uses Nelson Sauvin for the bulk of it's flavour & aroma. I had no luck finding a link to Muddy's original post, but maybe he'll share the recipe with you? (insert unsure icon)

PB2's Nelson's Light recipe is a cracker, & should definitely give you some ideas though.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Ben,

Would you ever consider dropping the Dry hop in favour of a late addition like 5 mins or a Flameout? I think you get as much or more aroma then a dry hop with less hops and if you are careful you leave most of the hop matter in the kettle and don't have nearly as much mess in the FV.

Don't be concerned about using Nelson Sauvin as a bittering hop..

I'm not' date=' just means I can save more NS for flavouring.

Would you ever consider dropping the Dry hop in favour of a late addition like 5 mins or a Flameout? I think you get as much or more aroma then a dry hop with less hops and if you are careful you leave most of the hop matter in the kettle and don't have nearly as much mess in the FV.

I have a 5 minute addition. Should I drop the dry for a flameout then? Still have time, boiling as we type.

We'll slowly work Ben up to the Big Island IPA Chad! Hehehe! (insert wink icon)

I like your new found thought process with using the second runnings from the mash for other purposes' date=' especially additional brews. Agreed you could certainly use it for starters etc. but It does seem like a bit of farting around if you are attaining regular gravities around 1.025 as quoted. I reckon you'll soon become bored with the practice of making starters from it.[/quote']

BIIPA all the way!!

I don't know why a starter @ 1.025 would be a problem as is.

Don't be concerned about using Nelson Sauvin as a bittering hop. When compared to Magnum, their co-humulone levels are almost identical, thus equaling a smooth bitterness. Muddy Waters did a full strength adaption of PB2's Nelson's Light that uses Nelson Sauvin for the bulk of it's flavour & aroma. I had no luck finding a link to Muddy's original post, but maybe he'll share the recipe with you? (insert unsure icon)

Agreed! Muddy's Full Nelson is great beer! I've brewed it a few times. I'll post the recipe as I know it soon.

Agreed! Muddy's Full Nelson is great beer! I've brewed it a few times. I'll post the recipe as I know it soon.

Good one Chad! I couldn't remember the catchy name Muddy gave his version.

It helped me find the original post.

Muddy's Full Nelson Ale.

Bizarrely enough, there is a poster by the name of "benh10" in that original 2011 thread. You wouldn't be that same guy now would you Ben 10!? :P

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi guys.

Just had a quick 2 week sampler of a Midstrength beer I brewed for my father for his birthday tomorrow. I won't bore you with listing the recipe (It's listed on Post#62 of this thread), but I'm very pleased with how it's turned out. The Thomas Coopers Traditional Draught kit base has made for a very nice base for this beer. I think Dad will be well pleased with the two cartons I'll present him with tomorrow, especially since he has no idea I've made it for him! (insert wink icon). Next time I might switch out the 250gms of dextrose in place of some more LDM. It's turned out a nice beer, but a little more malt character at the same ABV% never hurts. (insert wink icon)

Thanks for the Centennial hop suggestion Hairy, it's added a nice aroma to the beer. :) Something I find more important in light beers as they do lack a good malt presence.

Bottling my Pride of Ringwood Ale tomorrow & then Sunday will be brew day for me again. I'm throwing another new angle at the Fruit Salad Ale, using the Wyeast 3333 in place of the Coopers commercial Ale yeast this time. Attaining a more creamy texture whilst retaining the fruit salad like flavours is something that is occupying a lot of my thought time atm, & something I definitely wish to achieve with the beer.

I'll post a recipe when I've finalised something.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I bottled my 1st attempt at the Fruit Salad Ale (3rd ever brew) 2 weeks ago, had a cheeky sample to see how its going and not to toot my own horn but i'm pretty impressed with the smell and flavour and so was my girlfriend, today i'm going to follow what others have mentioned and do a few pale ale based brews with 1 hop at a time to find out the different tastes and smells.

Cheers!

Leftovers brew! I think this is going to be a dark ale of some sort ...

1.5kg Briess Sparkling Amber LME

1kg light DME

250g dextrose

200g crystal (medium?)

150g fairly old choc malt

10g Magnum @60

10g Fuggles @25

10g Fuggles @10

15g Hallertauer @5

BRY-97 yeast

OG: 1.043

FG: 1.010

IBU: 22.4

EBC: 46.0

ABV: 4.7%

The original plan was to brew a pale but one LHBS was shut for Christmas and the other was out of light LME so I just decided to use up the other leftovers instead.

Maybe I'll add a dash of cinnamon as well ...

Finally got to put down my Mild yesterday, and had a few troubles, first time in a while actually.

Firstly, Beersmith recommended a 45min mash for it's full body profile. Well, that's fine, but my efficiency went right down the friggin' toilet. Got 1.033 instead of 1.035.

Secondly, I have a 40L mash tun. When you add only 3.6kg of grain and ~10L water, it's only about 1/3 full, leaving a load of headspace. So naturally I lost 2c over the 45min, bringing my mash temp down to 68c.

I'm really not sure what to expect here.

My starter (made from the wort I produced for the brew) is fermenting out now, so I may hold off on pitching until I've tipped off a sample of the fermented starter for testing. Then I'll work out whether to add DME or leave it, or whatever.

I know it's not best practice, but I may use a thinner mash next time, or add a jug of boiling water to the mash halfway or something.

Mid strength beers are not my speciality (this being the first) so I hope it's drinkable and doesn't put me off.

Maybe a smaller mash tun?

Oh well, we live, we learn.

Hey Phil, did you insulate the mash? I cover mine with a few layers of aluminium foil and I don't recall losing much heat in my 30-40 minute mash (I can't remember how long I mashed for but it was a short mash).

I just pitched my Mild this morning and had the opposite problem to you. I had an OG of 1044 instead of an expected OG of 1042.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with your variances and I would just run with it; I wouldn't bother with the DME.

I put a sleeping bag on the MT, but maybe foil or camper foam in future.

And yeah, I might just pitch, stuff it. Maybe I'll just drain a bit for a FFT just so I can stop the guessing games. Impatient emoticon.

What's the deal with shorter mash times for full bodied beer? Is it so the beta-amylase don't get as much of a chance to go to work on the long chain dextrins? Punching above my weight emoticon.

Thanks for the reply bud!

What's the deal with shorter mash times for full bodied beer? Is it so the beta-amylase don't get as much of a chance to go to work on the long chain dextrins? Punching above my weight emoticon.

Thanks for the reply bud!

I believe so but I am no expert; I just used it as an opportunity to reduce my brew day time.

Some left over hops' date=' some ideas from other people, some dark malts, some experimentation, hopefully some big flavour that is not too over the top.

Recipe: Dark Cyde IPA[/quote']

Sampling one tonight.

Big maltiness, lovely fruity aroma, some passionfruit and melon perhaps.

Lovely dark colour, very strong. For me it is already a well balanced beer. Hopefully I can hold off and let it age a few more days.

Hi gang!

During my absence SWMBO and I completed two brew days (I think the stout one was done before the old forum disappeared). We did another red ale, which is the first recipe I've ever done twice, and a new experiment of an English brown ale which was done on Saturday.

Devil's Squaw Red Ale:

4kg Maris Otter Pale Malt

300g Caraaroma

200g Carapils

75g Black Patent

20.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - First Wort 80.0 min

8.00 g Super Galena [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Brewbrite at 10mins

US-05 yeast

Got 25 litres out of that one. OG approx 1040, should give an ABV around 4% so a nice flavoursome sessionable ale which both of us enjoyed the first time around.

English Brown Ale:

3.5kg Maris Otter Pale Malt

500g Brown Malt

300g Medium Crystal

200g Black Patent

50g Roasted Barley

20.00 g Goldings, East Kent [6.40 %] - First Wort 75.0 min

5.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Fuggles [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min

This also amounted to 25 litres. Post boil reading was only 1032 but I noticed my hydrometer had taken on some liquid inside it, so I'm guessing this reading is false. I took a reading of a pale ale I have in the FV which read 1010 with my old hydrometer, with the current one it was reading 1000 so I daresay it's out by quite a bit.

Looks like I hit my numbers on the Brown ale after all!

Also on Saturday, we had a taste test of the AG Stout I brewed before the forum update and very happy with it. It has a good balance of roasty and chocolately flavours and the bitterness is perfect. I reckon that will be another one to brew again!

For anyone interested, this is the stout recipe:

5.5kg Maris Otter Pale Malt

500g Munich II Malt

500g Roasted Barley

300g Medium Crystal

200g Chocolate Malt

100g Black Patent Malt

50.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 51.6 IBUs

I changed the yeast from 1275 to 1056 because I didn't have any way to harvest the 1275 safely to avoid infecting it. This brew was dumped on to the 1056 yeast cake from the SNPA clone brew - which we also did a side by side taste test of. It was virtually identical to the original in flavour and aroma, just slightly darker in colour because I had slightly darker crystal, but that's no big deal. Another one to brew again!

Sorry for the long post but I figured it was easier to just put it all in one instead of making 3 separate ones.

Cheers!

Kelsey

this is the stout recipe:

5.5kg Maris Otter Pale Malt

500g Munich II Malt

500g Roasted Barley

300g Medium Crystal

200g Chocolate Malt

100g Black Patent Malt

50.00 g Magnum [12.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min 51.6 IBUs

Kelsey, that one looks like a seriously good stout. For my education, it looks like stouts stand on their malt content, with enough bittering hops to balance it, but nothing in the way of flavour or aroma additions?

Is that a good general rule for big heavy stouts?

Hey mate,

Yeah that's what I've been led to believe from reading and also my own experience in drinking stouts. Like you said, they are generally malt driven brews with no flavour or aroma hops, just the bittering hops to balance against all the malt in them. This stout is the only one I have brewed AG or making up my own recipe and that's the 'rule' I followed when creating the recipe.

Judging by the taste of it, I doubt the recipe will change with any future stout brews.

Cheers

Very nice recipe Kelsey.

Good to see the RB being the dominant dark grain. The difference between stouts and porters has always been iffy to me, so keeping dominant roast for stouts and dominant chocolate for porters is a good way of differentiating the two.

Did you read through either of the Beersmith or BYO style profiles before coming up with it? That's where I start whenever I start designing a recipe, they are far more valuable than the BJCP Guidelines.

Here are the stout ones:

BYO - Foreign Extra Stout

Oops. Can't find a Beersmith one.

Archived