Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wyeast 1968 @ 21-22c

Absolutely love this yeast. I always do a forced ferment test with it though. It goes to sleep REAL easily. I wouldn't bother with it if it didn't make the best damn bitters I have ever made. And you should see it floc! If you shake up a pickle jar (full of 1968, not pickles), it'll only be a matter of seconds til it clumps and falls out of suspension.

Hi guys.

I bottled my oaked vanilla Porter earlier today (page 11, post 217 of this thread).

Nice vanilla influence over the solid oak presence in among those lovely dark malt flavours. The sample I tasted from the FV was very nice again. love

The reason I bothered to post, is that I bottled ALL of the brew in longneck bottles this time around. On reading thoughts from other co-forum members, half of the beer I used one carbonation drop, the other half, the usual 2 carb drops that I've always used for longneck bottled beer.

I'll be interested to see the difference in this area between to two, come drinking time in 5-6 months time.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Recipe: The Hills are Alive

Estimated OG: 1.035 SG

Estimated Color: 6.5 EBC

Estimated IBU: 22.6 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

2.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 57.1 %

1.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 42.9 %

10.00 g Magnum - Boil 30.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

10.00 g Mosaic - Boil 10.0

20.00 g Mosaic - Boil 5.0

WB-06??? I've never heard of it. Is it a wheat beer style of an American PA?

http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFBWB06.pdf

Safbrew WB-06.

American Wheat beers - after a google - use US hops. I am trying to use what I have, and as with anyhting anyone can think of, it has already been done, and a web search will validate this.

Hi Mattrox.

Have no fear of using any of the three hops you are contemplating. Fuggles, EKG & Styrian Golding will all go well with the EB kit. I've used each of these hops with the kit, & each brew has turned out very well. wink

Personally I think the Slovenians have been pulling the wool over our eyes to some degree with their Styrian Golding naming as being something unique vs Fuggles. Check the parentage etc.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Mattrox.

Have no fear of using any of the three hops you are contemplating. Fuggles' date=' EKG & Styrian Golding will all go well with the EB kit. I've used each of these hops with the kit, & each brew has turned out very well. [img']wink[/img]

Personally I think the Slovenians have been pulling the wool over our eyes to some degree with their Styrian Golding naming as being something unique vs Fuggles. Check the parentage etc.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Good to hear and thanks for that. Will proceed with fuggles.

Just put on a Thomas Coopers IPA

1kg LME

500g Dextrose.

Bottled a Coopers APA yesterday' date=' now thinking what to brew next?

Cheers.

[/quote']

Ah Magnaman

Straight to the TC IPA, played a part in educating my palette. For the next brew you should consider the Coopers English Bitter with LDM. If I was tasting beer like you do with wine then I'd do the EB first then the IPA. After that you probably ready for PB2's Moteuka Slam IPA love

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Boy Brewing

Just put on a Thomas Coopers IPA

1kg LME

500g Dextrose.

Bottled a Coopers APA yesterday' date=' now thinking what to brew next?

Cheers.

[/quote']

Ah Magnaman

Straight to the TC IPA, played a part in educating my palette. For the next brew you should consider the Coopers English Bitter with LDM. If I was tasting beer like you do with wine then I'd do the EB first then the IPA. After that you probably ready for PB2's Moteuka Slam IPA love

Cheers & Beers

Scottie

Valley Boy Brewing

Thanks' Scottie, your spot on, the Coopers English Bitter was next on my radar and from what I've been reading the IPA needs some time in the bottle, so all good. wink

Cheers.

Got some hops, time for a brew.

Recipe: Chinook Pale

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG

Estimated IBU: 39.2 IBUs

Ingredients:

1.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White)

1.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)

0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White)

0.50 kg Light Dry Extract

10.00 g Magnum [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

15.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min

25.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool

The Steep hops will be put in at about 50° - after the boil - as per the hops video.

Yeast will be a Mangrove Jack's Belgian Pale.

Had some crystal left over from the Amber Wheat I bottled some days ago & LDM lying about plus EKG sooooo.....

Canadian Blonde Can

1KG LDM

400G Crystal

15G EKG

Started at 1.039 & is now sitting at 1.007. Going to give it another day as I have to clean up bottles etc, but gave it a taste test & is surprisingly good. Fruity ( somewhere between banana & pineapple) with a smokey malt aftertaste if that makes sense.

Recipe: Chinook Pale

Yeast will be a Mangrove Jack's Belgian Pale.

Umm' date=' this looks to have hit the bottom already... 1006[/quote']

Damn, that's quicker than the Belle Saison yeast. I might give that yeast a go for a different flavour. Don't like the one I've been using.

Archived