Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Ben,

Since you seem adept at maths, you should be able to follow this logic.

No of days from 1st Dec to today = 51 days

No of your brews since then =8

Assuming your average brew vol = 22L Now 22L x 8 = 176L = 238 longnecks (176.0/0.740)

Now 238/51 = 4.66

Since both you and the missus like to have a drink, that's only leaving you both a bit over 2 longnecks each per day.

Now I know you live in the oppressive heat and humidity of FNQ, albeit Tablelands, that barely

seems a sufficient ration for you both.

You said in a previous post that you had 3 FV's ( 2 for you and 1 for the missus).

I suggest to you mate that you have been lazy for the past 51 days. rightful

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I know you live in the oppressive heat and humidity of FNQ' date=' albeit Tablelands, that barely

seems a sufficient ration for you both.

[/quote']

I like your thinking John. Remember though that I lost two brews.

The 3rd fermenter is used for umm, other stuff sometimes, so that supplements the production somewhat. My stock levels are horribly low at the moment, but I hope to improve that.

Is that a promise, Ben?

I hope to see your production levels raised significantly in the next few months.

Tip: Get that 3rd FV working flat out.

Mate, I must admit that my own stocks are considerably very low too. I am down to drinking ginger beer.

Ben,

A revised production schedule for you.

Assuming a 6 day brewing cycle and using 3 FV's at 23L, you should achieve this:

3 x 23 = 69L each 6 days. On a two month cycle (ie 60 days) = 690L. Equates to 932 longnecks or 77.66 cartons.

By the 20th March 2014 I would expect your inventory to be much improved.whistling

Hi JG' date='

I think you should add another can of Mex. Cervesa, split the batch into a second container (FV), throw in the second yeast packet and make a double batch.[img']wink[/img]

thanks but I can't get a new can for a couple of days yet and I don't have another container to ferment

what do you think would happen if I just let it be

putting down another hoppy IPA. will be the first time that ive done the same brew twice..

will be a Thomas Coopers IPA kit, with 250gram of crystal steeped, some Citra steeped then dry hopped on day 3 with Centennial. ive got the usual 7/8 day turn around for work.. but the misses will probably bottle this one while im away.

Ive got 3 weeks away for work.. then home for 3 weeks off next month. so this brew will be my drinker for next month... and ill brew again when i get home next trip!

Hi JG' date='

I think you should add another can of Mex. Cervesa, split the batch into a second container (FV), throw in the second yeast packet and make a double batch.[img']wink[/img]

thanks but I can't get a new can for a couple of days yet and I don't have another container to ferment

what do you think would happen if I just let it be

Hey JG,

Sorry to say, I think it will turn out pure shite!sad High AVB% with no body, taste or head. If you used only one kits yeast packet they might have a bit of trouble munching through all those fermentables.sick

And I've just put this one in the fridge as well:

Pale Ale

450g Light DME

150g Treacle/Molasses

100g Dry Wheat Extract

50g Dextrose

50g Panela Sugar

40g Crystal Malt 150EBC

5g Ella 30min

7g Ella 15min

6g Ella Flame out

7 litres' date=' US-05

OG:1.041

IBU: expected to be 45[/quote']

Two days in the FV and it has taken off today, bubbling away like I've never seen before. Actual bubbling on the surface through the thick inch layer of krausen. the smell is amazing. I don't know how I'm going to check the FV on this one as I don't have a tap for the 9L container. I had the idea of drilling a hole through it to put a tap on (when it's empty of course, though full with a brew would appeal to the idiot in me). My plan was to get it into a large FV with a tap this monday (7 days after brewing) to make bottling and checking FG easier. I also hoped it might make it clearer as it's pretty dark for a pale ale.

any suggestions for doing this without infecting the beer?

Brew day tomorrow and time for a SMASH. I have never brewed one before.

Mutennial Smash

5.5kg Munich I

15g Centennial (10.2% AA) @ 60 minutes

20g Centennial @ 5 minutes

25g Centennial @ whirlpool

30g Centennial - dry hop

Yeast - BRY-97 (that's right Lusty devil)

Mash - 66 degrees

OG - 1053

FG- 1013

IBU - late 30s

I have never used this much Munich before and never as the sole grain. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

How many brew's since December 1st?bandit

10 - 2 = 8.

Lost two' date=' hence the need to catch up with a kit brew.

Fresh is best, as is variety.[/quote']

As of yesterdays brew I have 9.5 put down. I didn't start on Dec 1 though. I was away working until the 11th. I haven't worked a day since then so there has been lots of time for brewingdevil.

Brew day tomorrow and time for a SMASH. I have never brewed one before.

Mutennial Smash

5.5kg Munich I

15g Centennial (10.2% AA) @ 60 minutes

20g Centennial @ 5 minutes

25g Centennial @ whirlpool

30g Centennial - dry hop

Yeast - BRY-97 (that's right Lusty devil)

Mash - 66 degrees

OG - 1053

FG- 1013

IBU - late 30s

I have never used this much Munich before and never as the sole grain. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

I've only brewed one SMaSH brew. It was my first ever AG. It was a Pale Ale malt/Centennial. It turned out to be a great beer. I haven't been able to bring myself to do another one.

100% Munich sounds like it will be very malty! Maybe too much for my taste. I'm interested to hear about this one.

Good Luck on your brew day, Hairy

I have made a few brews with Centennial as the sole hop (or at least the sole flavour and aroma hop). My last one consisted of 90% JW ale malt, 9% wheat malt and 1% crystal; so not too far off a smash.

This brew is more to do with learning about Munich. I use Munich in a lot a brews but it is combined with other malts. I will let you know how it turns out.

The next one may be a 100% Vienna batch but with a combo of hops.

Hi Hairy.

For a SMASH brew, it is an interesting recipe Hairy. Very lager-like, almost dunkel-like if using the clean ale yeast with that Munich as you are. Are you planning on fermenting it on the lower temp side? Say 17-18°C?

Then add to that, a forward hop schedule, & this should make for an interesting beer come drinking time.

I haven't brewed an all Munich malt beer before, so will look forward to your view of it once you begin drinking it. cool

May the BRY-97 gods be with you Hairy! wink

P.S. Coincidentally my 3rd attempt brew with the BRY-97 will be ready for sampling this weekend. If it presents any of those off flavours as has been my misfortune with it so far, then bye bye BRY! devil

Cheers,

Anthony.

Red Sails in the Sunset

Estimated OG: 1.046 SG

Estimated Color: 15.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 33.6 IBUs

Ingredients:

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)

1.00 kg Best Maltz RED X

0.25 kg Caramalt (Joe White)

60 Minutes 10 Magnum

15 Minutes 15 / 10 Amarillo / NS

5 minutes 20 / 10 Amarillo / NS

Dry Hop 20 / 15 Amarillo / NS

Edit : 4 hour mash - went Go Karting with the kids, get home, Lauter then boil.

I lost 1°C and gained several points of gravity.

Hi Ben 10.

Edit : 4 hour mash - went Go Karting with the kids...

I was happy to read that. happy

Given the amazing frequency at which you throw down new brews' date=' I was beginning to think you might be chained to something there! [img']lol[/img]

biggrin

Cheers,

Anthony.

I have a Saison to brew next. Just waiting on the grains to arrive so it might be a few days away.

3.85kg Pilsner malt

550g Vienna malt

550g Wheat malt

550g Rye malt

150g Biscuit malt

20g Styrian Goldings (5.9%) @ 60 minutes

15g Saaz (3.7%) @ 5 minutes

15g Styrian Goldings @ 5 minutes

15g Saaz @ whirlpool

15g Styrian Goldings @ whirlpool

Belle Saison yeast

Mash at 65 degrees

OG - 1052

IBU - 27 (no chill)

An update on this one. I got slightly less wort but a higher OG on thus one; the rye absorbed a bit of liquid but it wasn't too bad with a slow drainage. Also the Styrians I got were a lot less than 5.9% so I added some magnum at 60 minutes to compensate.

After 6 days fermenting it has gone from 1055 to 1003. Belle Saison definitely attenuates well biggrin

After 6 days fermenting it has gone from 1055 to 1003. Belle Saison definitely attenuates well biggrin

Yup one of the most voracious yeasts I've used. At one point in my Saison brew with it' date=' I didn't think it was going to EVER stop! [img']lol[/img]

Wait til you start drinking your 6.8%+ monsters! They get into you quick! sideways

Cheers,

Anthony.

DOWN UNDER ENGLISH PALE ALE

Guideline: BJCP 8A - English Pale Ale

Since the Pommies have been soundly thrashed in all aspects of the game of cricket by the Aussies, I decided to celebrate by making the following this morning.

1 x 1.7kg TC Australian Pale Ale

0.7kg light DME

0.25kg Wheat DME

0.1kg amber Crystal (steeped overnight)

0.17kg Golden Syrup

15g East Kent Golding (5.2%) @12

10g EKG @ 5

30g EKG (flameout) @30

Danstar Nottingham x 11g

23L @ 18C

OG 1.041

Brew day was last Saturday, but better late than never.

I got a Wheat kit for my birthday in May.... about time I used it, hey.

1.7kg Whispering Wheat kit

1kg Dry Wheat malt extract.

150g crystal

Coriander seed (crushed) and orange zest in a tea strainer simmered in malt.

West End brewery water

vol 23L

Safbrew WB 06 yeast pitched at 24 deg.

Should end up ~ 4.1% ABV in the bottle.

been fermenting between 16 and 18 deg. Manual temp control.

I didn't do much brewing last year, that will have to change!

Stand by for a pale ale next.

It's gonna be 44c out my way today, but that won't stop me from brewing. I'll probably die, but there'll be beer for my wake. biggrin

Bitter This, Bitter That (Standard/Ordinary Bitter)

2.5kg Maris Otter

0.75kg Traditional Ale

0.25kg Victory

0.25kg Wheat

0.15kg JW Crystal

0.10kg JW Dark Crystal

Mashing @ 69c for 60min (probably a bit high, but meh.)

13g Target FWH @ 60min

23g Challenger @ F/O

23g EKG @ F/O

OG = 1.038

FG = 1.013

ABV = 3.3% before bottling

~29 IBU

I'll probably prime at around 5g per L. (If I don't die today.) It's only 24c ATM, but it'll climb rapidly. annoyed Useless weather. What I wouldn't do for some clouds and rain.

Have a good one!

Archived