Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

f "benh10" in that original 2011 thread. You wouldn't be that same guy now would you Ben 10!? :P

Not me.

Dark and Stormy

1.5kg L Wheat

1.5kg L LME

350g Caraaroma

50 fuggles @ 60

40 EKG @ 20

23 Styrian Dry hop

20L

OG around 1045

IBU around 30

Hop schedule taked from Dr Smurto's Landlord.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice recipe Kelsey.

Good to see the RB being the dominant dark grain. The difference between stouts and porters has always been iffy to me' date=' so keeping dominant roast for stouts and dominant chocolate for porters is a good way of differentiating the two.

Did you read through either of the Beersmith or BYO style profiles before coming up with it? That's where I start whenever I start designing a recipe, they are far more valuable than the BJCP Guidelines.

Here are the stout ones:

BYO - Foreign Extra Stout

Oops. Can't find a Beersmith one.

Hey Phil!

Cheers mate. :) Personally I don't think there is a difference. I know these days they put them in to two different sub styles, but originally there was porter. The stronger ones were known as stout porter and extra stout porter and over the years the porter just dropped off the name when people ordered it, and they became known as stout and extra stout.

That difference in the dominant grain is something I do as well. This recipe to me tastes pretty much like a strong porter, which I guess is what stout is anyway.

I did have a look through the BYO one before coming up with the recipe. My missus sent it to me as a bit of a hint to get on with coming up with a stout recipe lol. She loves stouts and porters, as do I, so didn't really take much pushing anyway!

Hey Gang,

Brew day!!

Today's brew is "snow chilling" as I type. It's a golden ale inspired by Scottie (he was inspired by Dr. Smurto).

Doc Scottie's GA (DSGA)

1.8 Kg ESB

1 Kg PA malt

.7 Kg Munich

.3 Kg Crystal 40/80L

20G EKG 6.4% (60mins)

30g Amarillo 8.6% (15mins)

25g Amarillo (1min)

21L

WLP 013 London Ale

Mashed @66C

1.043/1.011 IBU 33 ABV 4.42%

It sure is smelling nice in the kettle!

Thanks again, Scottie!

I just read through another thread and noticed that I've posted that link to you before.

Duh.

Lol.

Yeah I remember you posting that. I think it was about two days after SWMBO sent it to me as well. I did have a read through it before constructing a recipe. I tasted another one of them last night and it was a bit yeasty, but that could have been stirred up in transit between mine and her place. Also I didn't bother cold crashing that one either.

Anyway, we did a bottling and repitching day yesterday. Bottled a pale ale I brewed months ago with some home toasted malt, so will be interesting to see how that turns out. Then threw the 2nd version of my red ale on top of the old yeast cake (US-05) and got that underway. I had a look at it earlier and the air lock is bubbling for the first time ever. More importantly though, the brew has a thick foam on top of it and plenty of condensation so it's going along nicely. :)

Nelson Muntz' HA HA

Estimated OG: 1.042 SG

Estimated IBU: 30.1 IBUs

2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)

1.00 kg Vienna Malt (Joe White Maltings)

0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White)

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White)

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)

15.00 g Nelson Sauvin [13.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [13.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1.0 pkg Mangrove Jack's #M44 Yeast

25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [13.20 %] - Dry Hop

Picture0003.jpg

Put down a SNPA style beer. Numbers worked out nicely for me except evaporation rate as I had to use the lid more than I liked, despite using an adjustable regulator (might need to work on adjusting the flame Heights.

Simple recipe

5.25kg Ale Malt

0.25kg light crystal

13g Magnum @ 60

9g Perle @ 25

30g Cascade @ 10

15g Cascade @ 0

US -05

Edit: mashed at 67

Anyway' date=' we did a bottling and repitching day yesterday. Bottled a pale ale I brewed months ago with some home toasted malt, so will be interesting to see how that turns out. Then threw the 2nd version of my red ale on top of the old yeast cake (US-05) and got that underway. I had a look at it earlier and the air lock is bubbling for the first time ever. More importantly though, the brew has a thick foam on top of it and plenty of condensation so it's going along nicely. :) [/quote']

Hey Otto

I've got a nut brown ale I brewed with 1 kg of toasted malt (30 mins dry@ 180C)in a keg right now. It's drinking quite nicely with the toasted malt being very pronounced and nutty. I also have an Irish stout with a wack of toasted malt waiting its turn for the keg. It's showing a lot of potential out of the FV.

I'm glad to see you using the fresh yeast cake to its full potential.

Hi Scott.

Put down a SNPA style beer. Numbers worked out nicely for me except evaporation rate as I had to use the lid more than I liked.

I assume you mean evaporation from the boil? (insert unsure icon)

If this is the case' date=' I'd be inclined to top up your volume with added boiling water, rather than covering with the lid. DMS (Dimethyl Sulphide) like flavours [u']may[/u] begin to appear in your beers if using this practice.

How To Brew by John Palmer: Dimethyl Sulphides (scroll down)

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Otto

I've got a nut brown ale I brewed with 1 kg of toasted malt (30 mins dry@ 180C)in a keg right now. It's drinking quite nicely with the toasted malt being very pronounced and nutty. I also have an Irish stout with a wack of toasted malt waiting its turn for the keg. It's showing a lot of potential out of the FV.

I'm glad to see you using the fresh yeast cake to its full potential.

Hey Chad,

That sounds great! I only used 300g of it in my pale ale so dunno whether I'll notice too much. I have a few 300g ish bags of the toasted malt at different times and my plan is to brew the same recipe for all of them, using a different one each time to see if there's any difference. I'm also gonna do a slight variation on the same recipe and brew that over and over (replace the toasted malt with something else) to try out different hops on their own as well so will probably brew one of those ones next brew day.

After this red ale is bottled the next batch to go in is a Southern English Brown ale styled brew so looking forward to tasting that. It's the first time I've done a brew like that (might have been slightly influenced by SWMBO to brew it lol). I don't mind though because it means we have a variety of different styles since she favours the dark beers and I, in the warmer months anyway, favour the paler styles. :)

Regarding re pitching onto the yeast cake, I've mainly done that on the last couple of brews because I haven't gotten around to fixing up my harvesting equipment. But I'm hoping to sort that out before the brown ale goes into the FV so at least it's there and ready to harvest the yeast from that when it is bottled.

Cheers

Brew Day!!

Today's brew was a K&B with some home grown Cascade and Centennial hops as late additions.

I really must say that enjoy the Kit/extract for the simplicity and time saving in comparison to AG.

Backyard Brew

1.7 Kg OS Real Ale

1.5 Kg DME

.3 Kg Crystal 40L

20g Cascade 7.1% 30mins

10g Simcoe 11.3% 20mins

7 g Cascade (home grown) 5mins

7 g Centennial (home grwon ) 0mins

US-05 pitched @ 22C brewed @ 20ish

21-23ish Litres

By the way that was my entire 2013 crop of hops after the bine's first season. Rather puny I know but there's always next year and the year after, etc, etc. crying

As a side note I also smoked a 2 kg beef brisket over apple wood, Montreal style today and devoured a pile of that for supper tonight. I washed it all down with a couple of pints of my "Glastonbury ESB". I must say it was an awesome dinner!!smile

Hi Scott.
Put down a SNPA style beer. Numbers worked out nicely for me except evaporation rate as I had to use the lid more than I liked.

If this is the case' date=' I'd be inclined to top up your volume with added boiling water, rather than covering with the lid. DMS (Dimethyl Sulphide) like flavours [u']may[/u] begin to appear in your beers if using this practice.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I know DMS, I need to use the lid to get a vigorous boil at full volume. As a result, I had a little too much wort at the end of the boil. That's why I need to adjust the height of the flame to give me more heat. Having said all of this, I take the lid off in the last 20 minutes or so to hopefully boil away any DMS. Still pretty stoked overall, only 2 points off with my OG. :-)

Hey Lotm,

I'm not sure but I think Lusty was suggesting that you reduce the volume of your boil to the point where you can get a rolling boil without the lid. Whatever that may be. Then after topping up the wort with cold water much the same way you would with an extract brew.

This is a good suggestion.

Hi Skookum.

Brew Day!!

Today's brew was a K&B with some home grown Cascade and Centennial hops as late additions.

I really must say that enjoy the Kit/extract for the simplicity and time saving in comparison to AG.

Backyard Brew

1.7 Kg OS Real Ale

1.5 Kg DME

.3 Kg Crystal 40L

20g Cascade 7.1% 30mins

10g Simcoe 11.3% 20mins

21-23ish Litres

By the way that was my entire 2013 crop of hops after the bine's first season. Rather puny I know but there's always next year and the year after' date=' etc, etc. [img']crying[/img]

As a side note I also smoked a 2 kg beef brisket over apple wood, Montreal style today and devoured a pile of that for supper tonight. I washed it all down with a couple of pints of my "Glastonbury ESB". I must say it was an awesome dinner!!smile

With a few mates, you pretty much described a near perfect day for me. Awesome!

Given the time of year & the coinciding weather there, I am more than a little envious.

Very cool Chad. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hi Scott.

Cheers,

Anthony.

I know DMS, I need to use the lid to get a vigorous boil at full volume. As a result, I had a little too much wort at the end of the boil. That's why I need to adjust the height of the flame to give me more heat. Having said all of this, I take the lid off in the last 20 minutes or so to hopefully boil away any DMS. Still pretty stoked overall, only 2 points off with my OG. :-)

Using a lid to achieve boil is a lot different to using a lid throughout boil.

Cool bananas,

Anthony.

Hi Skookum.
Brew Day!!

Backyard Brew

1.7 Kg OS Real Ale

1.5 Kg DME

.3 Kg Crystal 40L

20g Cascade 7.1% 30mins

10g Simcoe 11.3% 20mins

21-23ish Litres

By the way that was my entire 2013 crop of hops after the bine's first season. Rather puny I know but there's always next year and the year after' date=' etc, etc. [img']crying[/img]

With a few mates, you pretty much described a near perfect day for me. Awesome!

Given the time of year & the coinciding weather there, I am more than a little envious.

Very cool Chad. cool

Cheers,

Anthony.

Update on this brew! It's going crazy in the FV! I had to attach a blow-off tube to reduce some pressure. This happens often with 2nd generation US-05. It also usually ends up being a great brew when it does happen.

Hi guys.

Brew day today. Time to sneak in my Oaked Vanilla Porter recipe so it is ready for drinking come winter time.

I did make one small change to the recipe I made last year, not because there was anything wrong with the recipe (it's definitely in my top 3 best brews), but had these hops on hand after some previous brews, so decided to use them as they are very well suited to this beer style & brew.

Thomas Coopers English Bitter 1.7kg

Thomas Coopers Amber Malt 1.5kg

Dark Dry Malt Powder 500gms

Wheat Malt grain 250gms

Chocolate Malt grain 150gms

CaraPils grain 100gms

4½ litre hop boil:

Styrian Goldings 15gms @ 15mins

East Kent Goldings 10gms @ 5 mins

Oak Chips 30gms sprinkled directly into the wort prior to pitching yeast

East Kent Goldings 15-20gms Dry Hopped

1 x split Vanilla bean pitched at same time as dry hop.

2 x Coopers Ale kit yeast pitched @ 20°C

Brewed to 23 litres.

Primary fermented @ 19°C for 2 weeks.

OG = approx. 1.058 - FG = approx. 1.015

IBU = approx. 49.1 - EBC = approx. 56.5

Bottled ABV = approx. 6.0%

I admit I lucked out when I first brewed this beer to some degree. It turned out that good, I'm reluctant to muck with it too much, despite some obvious areas that could be improved upon. My megaswill mates love it, I love it, so the recipe won't be changing in any big way anytime soon. wink

For those that enjoy a good dark beer, now is the time (in AUS) to start looking at putting a brew down in this style so that it is ready come our winter.

If you are looking for ideas, & inspiration for a dark Porter/Stout type beer, then please do yourself a favour & have a good read through these two very good threads here on the Coopers forum.

SteveL's Porter recipe thread

and...

King Ruddager's EB Porter Dictionary thread

Collectively, they cover a huge variety of possibilities & ideas for these types of beers.

Well worth the time to read through. cool

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

Hey Fellas,

Just put this down today.

Namesake Midstrength Lager

Ingredients @ 13litres :

Light Dry Malt Extract 1.325kg

JWM Crystal Malt Cracked 75gms

Dextrose 125gms

Malt steeped 20min at 70c in 2litres, strained. 300g LDM added to Crystal Malt liquid for Hop boil.

Hops

Pride of Ringwood (10%AA) 15gms @ 45mins

Pride of Ringwood (10%AA) 15gms @ 30mins

Hallertau (4.34%AA) 5gms @ 15mins

Hallertau (4.34%AA) 10gms @ 5mins

Add Dextrose and stir. Pour into fermenter and add rest of LDM (1.075kg). Fill to 10L.

Yeast: Saflager S-189 yeast brewed @ approx. 15°C.

OG: 1.080

Additional Hop Boil (3L)

Pride of Ringwood (10%AA) 10gms @ 45mins

Galaxy (6%AA) 8gms @ 30mins

Pride of Ringwood (10%AA) 10gms @ 15mins

Galaxy (6%AA) 10gms @ 5mins

To get it to midstrength I'll make the additional hop boil around 3 litres when it has finished fermenting, depending on the FG. Aiming for 3.5%. I did this last time and it turned out to be a cracker. I'll try it with the additional hop boil with the first hop boil and see what the difference is.

One issue is that I'm not sure if I used Galaxy or Cascade for my additional hop boil the last time I made this. I forgot to type it up as I was trying to get out the door for my holidays. Having a look at my hops I think it may have been the Cascade.

Archived