Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hey Folks

The midweek brew day has freed up about 5 1/2 hours for the weekend. Started setting up just before 5pm, and milling the grain at 5:10. Clean up was complete at 10:30pm.

Lots of time waiting as normal

74 minutes mash & sparge

80 minutes on the hot plate

40 mins chill

With my failed brew I had old yeast and it sat in the starter for a few days after ferment. This time the yeast was only rinsed on Saturday and hadn't quite reached terminal gravity in the starter, it tasted and smelt alright. It's up and about after just 8 hours so that is something different for me.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brew Day Yesterday!!

I thought I'd try something on the lighter side of pale. Light in body and colour with a moderate hop profile. This is what I came up with this time.

Pay Day Pale Ale

3.5Kg Pale Ale Malt

.75Kg Munich 10L

.1Kg Wheat Maltrolleyes

15g Hallertau 6.9% (FWH)

12g Perle 8.6% (60mins)

5g Magnum 12.5% (60mins)

10g Hallertau (10mins)

21L

US-05 Pitched @ 17C and brew as cool as possible

Mashed @ 64C IBU 30ish OG 1.051 Brewhouse Eff. 78%

Brew Day Yesterday!!

I thought I'd try something on the lighter side of pale. Light in body and colour with a moderate hop profile. This is what I came up with this time.

Pay Day Pale Ale

3.5Kg Pale Ale Malt

.75Kg Munich 10L

.1Kg Wheat Maltrolleyes

15g Hallertau 6.9% (FWH)

12g Perle 8.6% (60mins)

5g Magnum 12.5% (60mins)

10g Hallertau (10mins)

21L

US-05 Pitched @ 17C and brew as cool as possible

Mashed @ 64C IBU 30ish OG 1.051 Brewhouse Eff. 78%

Looks like a nice beer Chad, especially an easy quaffable beer for summer.

I thought you would be brewing some big heavy dark ales to get you through the winter nights.

Hi gang' date=' its good to be back.....i like the happy snap Chad, but you all sideaways mate!!![/quote']

Yeah, Thanks Nick. That pic was of me at -27C after about 12Kms of snowshoeing in the bush! It's to bad I couldn't sort out the proper angle. I decided to go with O'l Captain Spyglass instead.

Looks like a nice beer Chad' date=' especially an easy quaffable beer for summer.

I thought you would be brewing some big heavy dark ales to get you through the winter nights.[/quote']

Hairy, I've been brewing big, dark beers for a couple of months now. I was craving something different.

Needed to put down something fast, empty fermenter and the kids at home. Named in honor of our insane premier up here and his rampage against groups of three or more motorcycle riders...

Recipe: CMG Pale Ale

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Ingredients:

------------

Amt Name Type # %/IBU

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 1 7.7 %

1.50 kg Light Malt Extract (Coopers) (53.0 EBC) Extract 2 46.2 %

1.50 kg Wheat Malt Extract (Coopers) (65.0 EBC) Extract 3 46.2 %

10.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 5.6 IBUs

10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 5.8 IBUs

10.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 4.4 IBUs

10.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 9.3 IBUs

10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 4.6 IBUs

10.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 1.4 IBUs

10.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 3.1 IBUs

10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 1.5 IBUs

10.00 g Motueka [7.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 Hop 12 0.8 IBUs

8.00 g Galaxy [14.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 Hop 13 1.2 IBUs

7.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 5.0 Hop 14 0.5 IBUs

1.0 pkg BRY-97 (Lallemand #) Yeast 15 -

I've finally taken the plunge and made my first batch of all grain beer with a full volume boil. Nothing too special, just an English Pale.

4 kg maris otter

0.25 Crystal

25g EKG @ 60

30g Fuggles @ 2

Nottingham

Filled to 22L

Didn't quite hit the numbers I was hoping for. Made tonnes of mistakes, learned tonnes of lessons. Had a lot of fun. Can't wait to do another. Can't wait for my adjustable regulator to arrive. Good stuff. smile

Edit: love the photo Chad!

Some nice brews there guys. Congrats on getting through your first AG at full volumes Scott. (insert some sort of clapping icon!)

Nice to see you've been working on your tan while the forum was down Chad! Nice pic. (insert LOL!)

I also put down my first Cascadian Dark Ale attempt while the forum was down. It's just finished a week in primary, so I'll throw the dry hop additions in later today. I can't wait for it to be at a suitable drinking point, as I found it to be a very interesting beer in terms of flavours on brew day.

P.S. Ben 10 & Hairy, the physical OG reading I took ended up being 1.055-56 as IanH's spreadsheet said it would be. Our initial thoughts that it may be a lot lower were incorrect.

Cheers & good brewing guys.

Anthony.

Beautiful One Day...

Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l

Ingredients:

------------

3.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)

1.00 kg Munich, Light (Joe White)

0.25 kg Crystal (Joe White)

14.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

15.00 g Vic Secret [16.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min

0.50 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 10.0 mins)

15.00 g Vic Secret [16.10 %] - Boil 5.0 min

1.0 pkg BRY-97 (Lallemand #)

20.00 g Vic Secret [16.10 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

Mash complete just awaiting the boil to start...

P.S. Ben 10 & Hairy' date=' the physical OG reading I took ended up being 1.055-56 as IanH's spreadsheet said it would be. Our initial thoughts that it may be a lot lower were incorrect.

[/quote']

Good to hear.

BTW moderator, I accidentally pressed report. Sorry.

I've finally taken the plunge and made my first batch of all grain beer with a full volume boil. Nothing too special' date=' just an English Pale.

4 kg maris otter

0.25 Crystal

25g EKG @ 60

30g Fuggles @ 2

Nottingham

Filled to 22L

Didn't quite hit the numbers I was hoping for. Made tonnes of mistakes, learned tonnes of lessons. Had a lot of fun. Can't wait to do another. Can't wait for my adjustable regulator to arrive. Good stuff. [img']smile[/img]

Edit: love the photo Chad!

Hey Lotm,

That looks like a nice brew. If I may suggest a couple of things. Next time bitter your EPA with a hop with higher AA% (ei Magnum, Northern brewer, Etc., etc.) . You will save $$$ on hops as it doesn't really matter what hops you extract your bitterness from so is good to go with a variaty with high AA%.

The other thing I might add is that I find Notto more of a American style yeast strain that finishes rather dry. If you are looking for a British style then go with Windsor.

Otherwise, great looking brew!

One more thing!!! Really work on getting all your #'s for your set-up down pat. This is really important to achieve early so you can move on and challenge yourself with somthing else.

Hi Skookum!

I'm not sure exactly how long ago your profile photo was taken, but it looks very recent. By my observations, & the rate at which your facial hair has grown along with how fast it appears to be whitening, you may well look like Santa Claus/Father Christmas by Christmas day! Hahaha! :D

If in fact that is the case, people may well approach you in the street & ask if their small child can sit on your knee for a photograph. If this does indeed happen, charge them $35.00 Canadian dollars. Trust me when I say, they'll pay it! Hahahaha! :D

Merry Xmas to you & your family Chad.

Xmas Cheers,

Anthony.

Good stuff Lotm. It is pretty easy, isn't it?

Don't worry if you don't hit your numbers at first; the beer will still taste fine. It just takes a few brews to dial it in. But as Chad said it is important if you want consistency.

Currently have a K & K+a half in the FV (Coopers Wheat + 1.5Kg Coopers Wheat extract, plus WB06), while waiting for my burner to arrive.

Meanwhile this afternoon treated myself to a Chubby Cherub (has REALLY benefitted from another couple of weeks in the bottle - just beautiful!), followed by an ESVA with the BRY-97 yeast - also beautiful!!!

Just a note of interest though. I bought a 6-pack of 2013 ESVA from my NDMO1C (Non Dan Murphy Or 1st Choice) outlet a month or so back (like to support the littlier guys!), just to compare my version with the commercial brew. Interestingly, I thought the commercial version had a metallic taste to it, compared with mine. I've done two ESVAs, one with Cooper's yeast, and the second with BRY-97, and I prefer the second (not by much though).

Mind you, if Santa dropped another 6-pack beside my bed next week, I'd be happy enough:-)

hey guys gunna try brew my first AG IPA tomorrow

Big Dog IPA (no chill) 6.5%

5500 bb ale malt

1000 weyerman vienna

250 light crystal

250 carapils

centennial 20g@45

centennial 20g@30

centennial 20g@15

centennial 20g@0

centennial 40g dry hop

and in other news my cervezon recipe i posted a wile back turned out great especially for a kit and kilo, it wasn't great when young but about 2 months on and its a great summer drinker.

coopers cerveza

1kg BE2

18g willamette 10 minute steep

1l of belle saison slurry (I'm loving this yeast)

if i was to do again i would ditch the willamette you can't taste it anyway

hey guys gunna try brew my first AG IPA tomorrow

Big Dog IPA (no chill) 6.5%

5500 bb ale malt

1000 weyerman vienna

250 light crystal

250 carapils

centennial 20g@45

centennial 20g@30

centennial 20g@15

centennial 20g@0

centennial 40g dry hop

Looks like a top drop Michael; I love Centennial. Is the hop schedule no chill adjusted? Perhaps you could move the 30 minute addition a bit later and increase the qty to get more hop flavour but still get the bitterness.

Good luck with it.

I just re read your post hairy and I agree I've moved the 30 min to 20min and added a 20g 5 minute addition. I tell you what it takes a lot of hops to make an IPA lol, I will be mashing in in about an hour I can't wait to get started I've been waiting all week for a chance to brew.

Hi guys.

A little earlier today I completed a fairly simple brew ingredient wise. Time wise it wasn't quite as simple as it was an extract/partial recipe requiring a mash of grains.

I've been doing some quite complex hop bills using multiple hop varieties, so I just wanted to go back to a simple single hop bill for this brew. Pride of Ringwood is a hop that I see very few recipe listings for, & quite a few comments that sling off at the hop for various reasons. I've previously used the hop for bittering only in conjunction with other hop varieties, but never brewed a beer with it singularly.

My brew today was/is sort of a mix of using up certain ingredients, along with attempting to produce a beer that sits somewhere between being similar to a Coopers Pale Ale, & a Coopers Sparkling Ale. More malt driven & with the hopping schedule similar to the CSA, but nearer the CPA in terms of its ABV% level.

Using the extended tools available on the new Coopers site, my recipe listing can be found HERE.

The brewing procedure that I followed & documented is not currently available, due to errors in the site programming, but I will update that when the fault(s) are rectified.

I'm starting to warm to the new site the more I am beginning to understand how certain areas link to one another. :)

Cheers,

Anthony.

Had a great brew night tonight, just cubed it up and looks like my volumes were spot on and ended up over shooting on my efficiency! i've been having trouble with bad efficiency for since i first started all grain about 3 or 4 months ago and have just worked out my lhbs isn't milling the grain properly! I suspected this might be the issue (since i have tried everything else) and decided to drive out to craft brewer as i know they have a good rep and low and behold my mash efficiency jumped to 84% and 73.5 brewhouse efficiency! pretty bloody happy right now happy

Nice work Michael. My brew house efficiency sits between 70-75% now and I am pretty happy with it.

Lusty, I have never used POR before but have heard that it is a lovely hop when fresh hops are used late in the boil.

As for your brewing instructions, all I can picture is Vyvyan from the Young Ones saying "brew step, brew step, brew step" instead of "cornflakes".

Archived