Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewed a Mosaic APA yesterday.

It was a pretty standard brew' date=' but it marked my 50th all grain brew day. < I drink too much emoticon>[/quote']

Congrats on the 50th AG brew Philbo! :)

I'm guessing you were suitably impressed with your Mosaic IPA, that you have decided to do an APA with it? Or are you just needing to use up the remaining hops?

Skookum: I do aerate my brew wort quite vigorously before pitching. That's why I'm thinking my infected brews have been a result of sanitation related issues, that I now feel I have addressed & corrected.

Also, you asked about the Riwaka hop & replacements there of? To me it's like a mixture of Cascade & Citra on steroids! Get onto your LHBS to be on the order list to secure a batch from the next NZ harvest. If not, seek out an online supplier that can mail some to you Chad. Seriously, you'll love the stuff!

On a side note, the BRY seems to have taken off this time, although @ 17hrs pitched this morning before I left for work, no krausen & very lifeless, but had pressured up the water in the airlock (a good sign). When I arrived home there was a thin krausen & it is slowly bubbling away. I'm still pessimistic about whether it is the BRY-97 doing the fermenting, or an infection, but am leaning towards the BRY being successful this time. :P

Damn lazy A$$ BRY yeast! Haha! :D

Cheers,

Anthony.

On New Year's Eve I will finally do the steam beer. I cracked my grains this morning and now I'm patiently sitting in the fridge waiting for 24 hrs to elapse to get on with it. I'm running out of beer in here...

Ps hope it all goes well Lusty.

Good luck with the BRY-97 Lusty. I hope it works out' date=' even though there is a small evil part of me that hope it fails (only for the continuing jokes).

It seems to be going ok so far.

[/quote']

You're a cruel man at times Hairy, but I love your humour that is attached to it when you are! Me & BRY are gonna get along OK at some point down the track. I just need to understand its baby-like preparations more & continue to show patience! Hehehe :P

Thanks for the votes of encouragement Hairy & PhilbyT with the BRY-97. It would/will be nice to see a final beer out of using it.

I plan to make the availability of BRY-97 laughing points open to Hairy, a thing of the past ASAP! :D

Cheers,

Anthony

Thanks for the votes of encouragement Hairy & PhilbyT with the BRY-97. It would/will be nice to see a final beer out of using it.

Come to think of it, I used Bry-97 in the Cascarillo. It did take a long time to start, more than 24h. And when it did, I can't say it was high krausen or anything. I remember looking back in the forum at a thread at the time that also reported slow and lazy start with that yeast, confirmation of the same, and probably nothing to worry about. Beginners ignorance on my part I think, if I had known about the problems you had so far, I probably wouldn't have used it just yet. I also saw some white lumps that looked a bit like mould with little trails, towards the end of ferment that had me worried, they just disappeared in the very end as the beer cleared up, no bad taste.

So here's hopin' that there is only true boredom in the end for Hairy

.snipped............ Me & BRY are gonna get along OK at some point down the track. I just need to understand its baby-like preparations more & continue to show patience!......snipped

Hey Lusty

I now have the same issue with my stir plate and 2 litre Erlenmeyer flask as you do with BRY-97. I reckon I've used it 3 or 4 times and I've lost two brews. The only two I've lost out of 62 brews. I had a perfect hit rate when using a 1 litre coffee jar and simple starters for my rinsed yeast.

Anyway yesterday I ordered 4 dry yeasts' date=' I need to brew some beer that I can keg and drink.

Danstar BRY-97

Danstar Nottingham

Danstar Windsor

Fermentis W34/70

Add these to the US05 and the liquid 1272 I have in the fridgr and that should give me six good brews before I attempt another yeast rinse.

I know there are those that would blame my sanitising regime but it is solid. When I can transfer from the FV to a cube and lager for 9 weeks, keg for another 12 weeks and get the perfect beer that is proof enough for me.

So in the words of Lusty "Damn Stir Plates" or "Damn Erlenmeyer Flasks" c9c3.jpg

Hi Scottie.

Did you ever figure out WHEN the infection is occurring? (as per my post over in your "Infected Willie" thread)

Our favourite Canuck seems to be enjoying using his new stir plate. Perhaps you & Chad could bounce a bit of info off each other about using the stir plate, & maybe something will come up that might highlight potentially where & how your infection is occurring.

Hopefully Chad will come to the party. >_^

Good luck with sorting it out Scottie.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Hey Guys,

I've only used my stir plate a couple of times now and no problems yet.

Scottie, your infection problems are not due to the SP or the flask! It might be how you are using it. Or maybe it's just time to give your brewery a thorough sanitizing with bleach. I wouldn't be suprised if your problems come from an infected yeast culture but it's not the stir plates fault. When dealing with yeast cultures one must take extra caution with sanitation.

I recommend giving your flask, stir bar and all other instruments that might come in contact with the yeast a blast of bleach solution over night. While your at it hit everything in the brewery with the same.

Well, it looks like it's gonna be a quiet one tonight.

My wife's birthday is 31 Dec so we usually just have a family get together for NYE, and with half the family crook it's gonna be a VERY low key event.

The weather is looking nice tomorrow, so if I'm not too tired, I may head out to the shed.

#100 - Mild As

Style - Mild

I'll mash the following @ 69C to get a nice load of un-fermentable dextrins in the wort.

2.82kg JWM Traditional Ale

0.35kg Munich I

0.32kg Dark Crystal (with a handful of crushed Gelfling)

0.04kg Roast Barley

Aiming for 23L @ 1.034 with 70% efficiency

60 min boil, looking at roughly 21 IBU total, which is on the higher side for this style.

10g Target FWH @ 60

28g EKG @ F/O

5g Brewbrite @ F/O

Wyeast 1968

I will ferment @ 21C but let it slowly rise to 24C over the first week. Mmm. Esters! No point paying for a top quality UK yeast then fermenting so cold that it doesn't produce the flavours you've paid for in the first place! Flame suit emoticon.

I'm really excited about this one as it's my first mid. If it turns out the way I want it (ie, stays above 1.010) then I will probably start making at least a third of my beers lower in alcohol. But my stouts and Belgians? Forget it! Evil emoticon.

Have a rad NYE everyone, and here's to another year of talking s##t!

...with a handful of crushed Gelfling)
Haha! Is that dryed or fresh Gellfing?

I will ferment @ 21C but let it slowly rise to 24C over the first week. Mmm. Esters! No point paying for a top quality UK yeast then fermenting so cold that it doesn't produce the flavours you've paid for in the first place! Flame suit emoticon.
Good point!

I'm really excited about this one as it's my first mid. If it turns out the way I want it (ie' date=' stays above 1.010) then I will probably start making at least a third of my beers lower in alcohol. [/quote'] You should give this "small beer" thing that I did on my last brew day a go. You can get your low alcohol beer (mild) with the same mash as your "big" stouts and Belgians if you do a second running.

Have a rad NYE everyone' date=' and here's to another year of talking s##t![/quote']

Hey Philbo

Dunno about talking it, but SWMBO wandered into the (closed) brew shed this morning, where my Mr Sinister is bubbling away as happy as a pig in s##t, inside the 'new' bar fridge. Her comment: "What's that smell? It smells like s##t!"

(We need an emoticon for total, absolute and unmittigated despair!!!)

And to think that over the years I've always been nothing but complimentary about whatever she's concocting in HER kitchen. And as for the stubbies of Hefeweizen I bottled up for her last week, I may just have to keep schtum about those until her manners improve . :-)

Second running for small beer? Sounds like partigyle brewing if I'm not mistaken?

Yep, that is what it is.

The main problem for you Phil would be your mash temps. Probably fairly low mash temps for your big Belgians but quite high for your English mild. You might be able to do it with your stouts; similar grain bill and I believe you mash your big stouts quite high.

And I presume you get two smaller batches from it which may not cut it for you Phil.

1 for Hairy!

It seems my "small beer" method and this partigyle thingy are one and the same. I only found this to be true after talking with a home brewing friend just today. What a drag! I thought I might have invented something.;)

It it still something you should look in to for your milds.

I have a Saison to brew next. Just waiting on the grains to arrive so it might be a few days away.

3.85kg Pilsner malt

550g Vienna malt

550g Wheat malt

550g Rye malt

150g Biscuit malt

20g Styrian Goldings (5.9%) @ 60 minutes

15g Saaz (3.7%) @ 5 minutes

15g Styrian Goldings @ 5 minutes

15g Saaz @ whirlpool

15g Styrian Goldings @ whirlpool

Belle Saison yeast

Mash at 65 degrees

OG - 1052

IBU - 27 (no chill)

Hi Hairy,

Looks like a nice brew.

I noticed you're using both Rye and wheat malt in this one. Have you ever used rice hulls in your recipes to prevent a stuck mash? I've found my Rye brews to be a PITA to get out of the kettle and into the FV. I have used rice hulls a couple of times and maybe it was a little easier but not much. I'm wondering if I am not using enough to get the job done.

I have thought about using rice hulls and I'm not sure what the threshold is of rye/wheat in a brew where you may need it.

Most people I have spoken to don't use rice hulls so I decided to go without it and just drain slowly.

Amberillo

2.50 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White)

1.00 kg Amber Malt (Joe White)

0.50 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White)

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

10.00 g Magnum [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min

15.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min

25.00 g Amarillo [8.40 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days

BRY-97

OG 1043

IBU 34

Using Amarillo at 30 minutes instead of Magnum would give you a bigger Amarillo hit.

I figured that but not having a LHBS and wanting to stretch the 110g to do two brews... you know?

Also having not tasted Amarillo before I feel it will be a good place to start.

Archived