Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Watcha' got, eh!? no.3

Canadian Eh!L

Hi Chad.

I am just trying figure out why you think this Partigyle idea is a waste of time.

I didn't say that.

What I did say was this...

Personally' date=' unless my first runnings were used to produce a high ABV beer, I wouldn't even bother looking at using the second runnings for a separate beer.....Using second runnings from standard level brews (say an OG of 1.035 - 1.060), to begin a new brew wort, just seems a bit of a waste of time to me. More hassle than it's worth.[/quote']

My understanding of this practice is to use the second runnings to produce a mild version of the exact same beer produced from the first runnings, yes? If you are adding in a good whack of extra LDM or LME or other adjuncts sure you will be making beer, but will it be a close resembalance to the first runnings brew, not likely if the OG of the second runnings brew wort is on the lower side.

My comments on this topic have primarily been centred around trying to help LeCoq/Rooster with his gravity problems relating to his recent use of this technique mentioned in his earlier post (#302). If what I have stated thus far has helped him in any way with that, then I'm glad for that. smile

To me it would seem to be a time saver. Any day I can get a 21L AG brew + a 10L PM brew out of the same mash on the same brew day is a win' date=' win to me.[/quote']

You can't argue with that. wink

Cheers & good brewing,

Anthony.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all just home brewing, man.cool Whether the "small beer" is similar to the big beer is not important to me. I just think it's a cool thing to do on brew day. It only took 500g DME 7g hops and the same yeast slurry as it's big brother.

To me it would seem to be a time saver. Any day I can get a 21L AG brew + a 10L PM brew out of the same mash on the same brew day is a win' date=' win to me.[/quote']

You can't argue with that. wink

Thanks for saying as much.

I like making beer!smile

P.S. Kind regards to the Rooster if I barged all over your conversation with Lusty.

P.S.S Rooster, I think using 2nd runnings from a small amount of spec malt is probably not doing much for a 21-23L brew.bandit

I decided upon a Cascadian Dark Ale, I've had a can of Coopers dark ale for a while and wanted to use it. Paying tribute to both Muley and Lusty I concocted the following today.

Darkie IPA:

1 Can Coopers Dark Ale

2kg DDME

250g Crystal 140

100g Choc 600

OG est 1066 FG est 1013. est 6.9% ABV

25g Cascade @20

25g Amarillo @20

25g Cascade @10

25g NB @5

50 IBU est (Garetz)

Dry hop 25g of Cascade and 25g of Amarillo

Big number of hopsbandit. I backed off on the dark spec grain as both Muley and Lusty implied they might have used more than necessary.

See how it goes, looking for a hop bomb, hope it has enough malt to back it. Fits nicely within the parameters on IanH spreadsheet for American IPA except the colour of course.

Hi PhilbyT.

I do like your hop schedule. It should make for a solid hop presence when it comes time to drink this beer. cool

A little bit too much Dark DME for me, but that is purely a subjective view of my own.

Let us know how it turns out. wink

Cheers & good luck with the brew,

Anthony.

I am trying to use up all the bits and pieces which have been left over from various brews and so therefore the following:

LEFTOVERS ALE

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Aust Pale Ale can

1.00kg dark DME

0.136kg wheat DME

0.300kg carabohemian (steeped overnight)

40g Brampton Cross - steeped @ <50C

35g East Kent Golding - steeped @<50C

2 x 7g Coopers ale yeast

23L @20C

Estimated : EBC 18 IBU 25 ABV 4.3% + 0.5% OG 1044 FG 1011

I am trying to use up all the bits and pieces which have been left over from various brews and so therefore the following:

LEFTOVERS ALE

1 x 1.7kg Coopers Aust Pale Ale can

1.00kg dark DME

0.136kg wheat DME

0.300kg carabohemian (steeped overnight)

40g Brampton Cross - steeped @ <50C

35g East Kent Golding - steeped @<50C

2 x 7g Coopers ale yeast

23L @20C

Estimated : EBC 18 IBU 25 ABV 4.3% + 0.5% OG 1044 FG 1011

Hey Johnny

That looks like a real interesting brew. It has a real international flavour. Aussie yeast and malt, British hops, German spec malt.

My question is: why are you steeping all those nice hops instead of boiling them?

Chad and Hairy,

LEFTOVERS ALE is supposedly a type of English Brown Ale. These are typically low in IBU, <25,

and mostly with low to no hop flavour. Caramel like malts dominating. The Aust Pale Ale can is approximately 25 IBU/23L. Just trying to use all those hops up as I can't see myself using them in the near foreseeable future.

I want to have a go for a while at using exclusively New Zealand/Australian hops.

Hop steeping at <50C results from watching the hop video that Lusty posted a month or so ago featuring the hop grower from Wisconsin. A mild temperature steep to retain the highly volatile flavour/aroma constituents and no bitterness.

About to embark on my first brew in the next week or two.

Any suggestions on what to do with the Kit brew? Or should I just go with the basics on the first one and get the process down pat?

I thought I read somewhere that someone suggests swapping out BE1 for BE2. Any other tips I need to know? Keep it at a constant 18 degrees while brewing?

Hop steeping at <50C results from watching the hop video that Lusty posted a month or so ago featuring the hop grower from Wisconsin. A mild temperature steep to retain the highly volatile flavour/aroma constituents and no bitterness.

Thanks John. I didn't watch the video innocent

About to embark on my first brew in the next week or two.

Any suggestions on what to do with the Kit brew? Or should I just go with the basics on the first one and get the process down pat?

I thought I read somewhere that someone suggests swapping out BE1 for BE2. Any other tips I need to know? Keep it at a constant 18 degrees while brewing?

Keep it simple first up but that doesn't mean it has to be bland.

Try the BE1 since you have it but if you want to improve it then go with BE2 or 1kg Light Dry Malt.

And dry hop it with something like 20-30g Cascade.

Be clean and sanitary and try to keep the temp around 18-20 degrees and you will be fine. It doesn't matter if the temp creeps up a little higher but avoid mid to late 20's (and higher).

Hi Hairy.

Thanks John. I didn't watch the video innocent

Nice attempt at a 'bait' if you have watched it Hairy! lol

On the other hand if you haven't watched it' date=' I feel sad for what you could produce with your future brewing given this very useful, insightful information! [img']wink[/img]

Your brewing friend, lolbiggrinlolbiggrinloltonguewink

Anthony.

Nice attempt at a 'bait' if you have watched it Hairy! lol

On the other hand if you haven't watched it' date=' I feel sad for what you could produce with your future brewing given this very useful, insightful information! [img']wink[/img]

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. But don't feel sorry for me, I may get around to it one day.

In the meantime I will just have to make do with my sub standard beers wink

Recipe: Why Me? Pale Ale

Estimated OG: 1.050 SG

Estimated Color: 22.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 36.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

5.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White)

15.00 g Super Pride [12.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet

20.00 g Waimea [16.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min

20.00 g Waimea [16.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min

20.00 g Waimea [16.90 %] - Dry Hop

New hops time!

Bottled the Flight of the Concords - oh my that smells yummy!

I have changed ny grain bill but I am sticking with my new hop schedule. I am calling this one Valley Pale, its going to be a bit dark for an Aussie Pale and probably closer to an Aussie Bitter. It still fits with Ennglish Bitter spec but there are no English ingredienst in this one.

Joe White Ale Malt, Vienna Malt, Wheat Malt, Medium Crystal and Dry Wheat Extract, Cascade and Galaxy and some BRY-97.

Recipe: CC Pale Ale

Estimated OG: 1.050 SG

Estimated Color: 22.4 EBC

Estimated IBU: 32.4 IBUs

Ingredients:

------------

4.00 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston)

1.00 kg Munich I (Weyermann)

0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (Joe White)

10.00 g Magnum [14.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min

0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining

15.00 g Centennial [8.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min

15.00 g Centennial [8.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min

15.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

20.00 g Centennial [8.90 %] - Dry Hop

20.00 g Citra [13.50 %] - Dry Hop

Tomorrows brew, just milled the grain.

Brew day!

Big Chinook IPA

1.7Kg OS real ale

1.5 Kg DME (light)

.3 Kg Crystal 60L

20g Chinook 12.4% (20mins)

15g Chinook (10mins)

10g Cascade 7.1% (5mins)

12g Centennial 10% (5mins)

WLP0013

21L

30g Oak chips sprinkled @ ferment

Chad,

I think you should have a very careful look at the hop bill. No way this recipe is an IPA.

I've had a good look' date=' Johnny. It looks close enough to call it an IPA. IBU's should be in the mid to high 50's. OG 1.054? Maybe you're thinking it should be a PA? If so, you can call it a PA instead of a IPA if you want.

What's your concern?[img']unsure[/img]

Chad,

I got IBUs around the 30 mark.

Either your spreadsheet or mine is faulty, most likely yours.ninja

Or simply you stuffed up somewhere.

Archived