Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

I just found out that while I was away' date=' my car was stolen out of the front yard![annoyed'] So I might be sorting all that shite out instead.[annoyed]

[sad]

It looks like someone from my local area may have paid you a visit [innocent]

But it's a good thread you started; 12 pages and still going [cool]

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found out that while I was away, my car was stolen out of the front yard![annoyed] So I might be sorting all that shite out instead.[annoyed]

Sorry to hear thad Chad, it really sux[devil]

I thought you lot were a law abiding bunch and all the crooks were south of the border??[unsure]

That FG would equate to around 6.3% ABV after you account for the bottle priming sugar. I reckon the Cascade and Amarillo would be good in that brew. How did you add the hops?

Fair enough Kelsey! Sounds even better to me! [biggrin] As for the hops steeped for about 25 mins in 2.5L water then just chucked the whole lot in! Im pretty confident they will fall out during CCing! & if not [pinched] Ah well! Yeah not sure how it will turn out but needed to drop somthing to keep up with my drinking! [lol]

I only ever brewed the Real Ale kit once and didn't particularly like it, but it was just a quick thrown together recipe without much thought just to fill some bottles really. [lol]

Yeah, I reckon you'll be pretty right with the hops mate. I actually use the HMRC method for calculating ABV, I find it more accurate. This is a link to a discussion about it. I didn't bother with the priming part of it though, I just add 0.3 or 0.4 per cent depending on how much priming sugar I use.

I thought you lot were a law abiding bunch and all the crooks were south of the border??[unsure]

Well, I don't know where these bastards are from. I have lost a little more faith in humanity after this episode.[sad] I wouldn't mind wrapping my hands around their throats and giving them a little shake.

They found the car 5 hours from my town. It has been violated in several ways. I won't be seeing it again.[annoyed] No theft insurance. Oh well...

Well, I don't know where these bastards are from. I have lost a little more faith in humanity after this episode.[sad] I wouldn't mind wrapping my hands around there throats and giving them a little shake.

They found the car 5 hours from my town. It has been violated in several ways. I won't be seeing it again.[annoyed] No theft insurance. Oh well...

Ahh that is the shits :(

I certainly know that need to strangle the thief...

Ok so I have just gone & got a Coopers Euro Lager some S-23 & 15g of Hallertau hops! But what I need advice on is what other fermentables would people recommend using? Dex? LDM? BE2? Looking to make a nice lager for summer!!

cheers guys!

Try to get yourself some Briess pilsner malt. Otherwise go for 1kg light dry malt, 200g dex and 250g Carapils.

[quote=Hairy Try to get yourself some Briess pilsner malt. Otherwise go for 1kg light dry malt, 200g dex and 250g Carapils.

Cheers Hairy just managed to get some Briess pilsner malt! So is that all I need? Just add it all together with some warm water stir & fill with cold water to 23L? Just seems too easy! Lol

The Briess Pilsner Malt is a replacement for the LDM. So I would go with:

1kg Dry Pilsner Malt

200g Dextrose

250g Carapils grain

But it will still be fine if you left out the dex and carapils.

Ok. Managed to wait out till the weekend and bottled my scotch ale last night tastes really nice out of the vat and looking at 6.4% ABV. Laid down a TC traditional draught today with 1kg of LDM and dex. Turns out my scales are busted so while aiming for 300g dex ended up somewhere in the 350-500g range. Not sure how this will affect the taste but always happy to give the old ABV a bit of a kick.

Nice one' date=' Toby![cool'] That sounds like a busy day. Any mishaps or did everything go ok?

Everything went fine for once :) Did my first attempt at bulk priming, will see how that went in a few weeks :P

The Amarillo Pale Ale was a simple 15 min boil with additions at 15/5/Flameout and 500g Wheat LDM and 1kg ordinary LDM.

The Honey Bitter was even simpler, Bitter can, Liquit Amber Malt can, 700g honey.

Will dry hop APA with more Amarillo in a few days, and the Bitter with some EKG and Fuggles :)

Just had two recipes delivered crushed and ready mixed so will be making one of these tonight.

Oat Stout

3.83kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter

0.55kg Oats, Flaked

0.32kg Pale Chocolate Malt

0.32kg Victory Malt

0.23kg Crystal Malt Medium

0.20kg Roasted Barley

60g EKG 60mins

11g Danstar Notto

Rauchbier

2.52kg Smoked Malt

1.87kg Pilsner

0.75kg Munich I

0.21kg Caramunich II

0.11kg Melanoidin

0.06kg Carafa Special III

40g Hallertau 60min

15g Hallertau 15min

22g SafLager German Lager (DCL Yeast #S-189)

The Rauchbier is something different, Graham. Have you brewed one before?

Interesting choice of yeast.

Never mate, virgin territory for me.

The yeast is a typo, havent had my coffee yet and was copy/pasting from a couple of different recipe sheets

I haven't tried a Rauchbier, but I have made a porter with smoked malt. I was a toucan brew. It turned out quite good. In fact it's one of only a few of my recipes that I've repeated to the letter[lol] . Also, I have recently smoked some malt myself and used it in my Viking brew. This beer turned out very nice, indeed![happy]

I had myself a busy Sunday afternoon. I bottled a Czech Pilsner, pretty much as per the How To Brew recipe but I used the Mangrove Jack's Craft Series Bohemian Lager yeast. I'm not sure how it will go but it sure tasted good on bottling day. It was in the FV for 4 weeks, 5 days @ 12c, then a week @ 17c, then gradually brought down to 2c for the balance of the 4 weeks.

I then put 2 brews down, both of which I have made before with great success. The Pale Ale is a beer that I really enjoy drinking nearly anytime. The Lager is an easy drinking beer for those occasions when a mid strength beer is called for. I know I shouldn't call it a lager when I am using an ale yeast but that is just the way it is.[cool]

Pale Ale

Mangrove Jacks' Pale Ale kit

1kg LDME

150g Caramalt & 250g Carapils Steeped for 30 mins.

20g Cascade @ 5 mins

20g Cascade @ 1 min

25g Cascade dry hop

23lt

US-05

Ferment @ 18c

Blue Mountain Lager

Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager kit

750g Ultra Blend # 15 (25% Dex, 50% LDM, 25% Powdered Corn Syrup)

25g Cascade Flowers for dry hop.

23lt

US-05

Ferment at 18c

This filled in the afternoon in the shed, soundtrack was 28 V8 Supercars crashing into each other in Darwin.....!!!!

Brew day brew day

Half way through a full extract golden ale - until now I've just done them with the Sparkling Ale kit

1.5kg Light LME

1.5kg Wheat LME

250g Caramalt

20g Amarillo (10.1%) @60

15g Amarillo @15

15g Amarillo @5

15g Amarillo dry hopped

Pretty simple, and so far no catastrophes!!

Just finished doing a Dark Ale:

Coopers Australian pale ale kit

1kg Muntons Dark Spraymalt

250g of white table sugar

Muntons gold premium yeast

I'm quite exited about this brew. This'll be my fourth and the first time I've used spraymalt

It was the Choc Magnuum Porter brew day today. It was a nice relaxing one and hit all my volume numbers. I am happy that I have sorted out the specs of my system in Brewmate now.

A good day all round!

Hairy, Paul,

I was wondering what yeast you used for this one? I was thinking about Windsor.[unsure]

I'm planning to put down a PB's Choc-Mag Porter tomorrow if I get a spare couple of hours.

How 'bout your volumes?[innocent]

Archived