Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

Ok so I know this isn't as interesting as the rest of peoples brew days but you gotta start somewhere right?

So my first brew was just the starter lager you get with the DIY kits in FV for 2 weeks then bottled a week ago, I couldn't let it sit any longer so tried a bottle on Friday night ....... ummmm yeah needs a lot longer to carb up!

Second brew dropped last weekend Irish ale using draught & golden syrup (or equivalent) stil in FV prob for another week then thinking of adding beer finnings & racking to some empty 15L water containers for a couple of days then CC! Can anyone tell me if that will actually do anything? As my first Lager was rather cloudy! :-(

Today I am about to take Hairy's advice & drop a fruit salad ale! But firstly gotta pop to the shop for another 15L of spring water! As here in Perth I have been told the water has too much chlorine & ruins the brew!

So todays recipe is the standard Fruit Salad ale but with US-05 yeast! Will that make any difference over the APA kit yeast & will 16-18 deg ferment temp be ok? How long should I leave it in the FV for & should I add any beer finnings or rack to a second vessel before bottling?

As you can tell im still a very newbie & still abit conservative/ don't really know what the F@#k im doing! Lol But trying a learning all the time thanks to the awesome helpful people on here! Cheers guys!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey there Hot House

You're the man, I was felling a little underdone posting an extract only brew here [innocent] .

I hope that the Fruit Salad Ale sets you off on the path to many fine American Pale Ales [biggrin] .

Hey there Hot House

You're the man, I was felling a little underdone posting an extract only brew here [innocent] .

I hope that the Fruit Salad Ale sets you off on the path to many fine American Pale Ales [biggrin] .

Cheers Scottie! Yeah I hope so too! Lol

As far as a favourite style of beer I don't have one I like experimenting with all kinds! Of course I have the usual to get pissed beer which is your easy drinking stuff mainly lagers but there just seems to be something relaxing about sitting with a finer beer/ ale & enjoying it! like wheat beers & so on!! So yeah the better & more confident I get at brewing bring on the complicated & maybe one day BIAB!! That at the moment is my goal!! But one thing is for sure I WILL be needing every ones advice & help to get there!! Lol So for now Im happy to learn the ropes with the easy kits!

Ok so I know this isn't as interesting as the rest of peoples brew days but you gotta start somewhere right?

So my first brew was just the starter lager you get with the DIY kits in FV for 2 weeks then bottled a week ago, I couldn't let it sit any longer so tried a bottle on Friday night ....... ummmm yeah needs a lot longer to carb up!

Second brew dropped last weekend Irish ale using draught & golden syrup (or equivalent) stil in FV prob for another week then thinking of adding beer finnings & racking to some empty 15L water containers for a couple of days then CC! Can anyone tell me if that will actually do anything? As my first Lager was rather cloudy! :-(

Today I am about to take Hairy's advice & drop a fruit salad ale! But firstly gotta pop to the shop for another 15L of spring water! As here in Perth I have been told the water has too much chlorine & ruins the brew!

So todays recipe is the standard Fruit Salad ale but with US-05 yeast! Will that make any difference over the APA kit yeast & will 16-18 deg ferment temp be ok? How long should I leave it in the FV for & should I add any beer finnings or rack to a second vessel before bottling?

As you can tell im still a very newbie & still abit conservative/ don't really know what the F@#k im doing! Lol But trying a learning all the time thanks to the awesome helpful people on here! Cheers guys!

Racking, adding finings and crash chilling should clear the beer up. Do you have a tap on your water container?

I am not worried about clarity too much so I just CC in primary. I bottled my latest batch today and, due to time constraints/laziness, it has been CCing at 2 degrees for three and a half weeks. It looked crystal clear though.

The fruit salad ale is a nice beer. US-05 is a great choice as it is a neutral yeast allowing the hops to shine and also is 11.5g which is a better pitching rate than the kit yeast.

Cheers Hairy!

No I don't have a tap on the water containers! just the push button opening thing! Lol So im presuming don't bother racking it & just stick it straight in the fridge for a couple of days in the FV before bottling?

Agree mate. Otherwise you will have to rack again to a bottling FV or use a racking cane and siphon. Easier to CC it in primary.

If you really want to then you can still add the finings. There is a recent thread called "Chill Haze" which discusses it.

Sorry, I couldn't be bothered looking for the link [innocent]

Cheers Hairy!

Yeah I read that topic & was very intrigued by it!! Was just a little confused by the instructions on the finnings packet though! Lol But I will take your advice instead! Lol

cheers again!! Now its time to go mix everything up & will let you all know how it goes!!

Hey there Hot House

Scottie,

Please reveiw the OP. I'm am not an All-grain Snob. I created this post for everyone to contribute their own personal trials and tribulations of there brew day. The thought process behind the idea of this post was to get all of us to start talking about how we do things on brew day so that all others can benefit from the experience.

I would like to see ALL of the members Brewday experiences posted.

And for the record. If you haven't notice in the recipes I've post on this thread. I am a not a AG or a kit or a PM or a extract brewer.... I am a Home Brewer![cool]

Please post all brew days from now on![rightful]

Did a Mexican Cerveza this weekend, with 1,5kg extra light dry malt, 2 kit yeast and up to 22 liters. Was planning on making a boil with 15g Saaz, but decided against it (to keep it simple). However, yesterday I dry hopped with 15g Saaz and 15g Citra (commando style). It smells lovely now, and I'm starting to get hopes up for this one :)

Hey there Hot House

Scottie,

Please reveiw the OP. I'm am not an All-grain Snob. I created this post for everyone to contribute their own personal trials and tribulations of there brew day. The thought process behind the idea of this post was to get all of us to start talking about how we do things on brew day so that all others can benefit from the experience.

I would like to see ALL of the members Brewday experiences posted.

And for the record. If you haven't notice in the recipes I've post on this thread. I am a not a AG or a kit or a PM or a extract brewer.... I am a Home Brewer![cool]

Please post all brew days from now on![rightful]

haha, chill dudes and put your handbags back in their holsters.

My most recent brewday was as follows

Coopers Sparkling Ale Kit (no i didnt take everyones advice)

1kg DME

250 gms Dex

15gms williamette 40 mins

15gms williamette 15 mins

20gms williamette dry hopped on day one

will keep you posted on first taste, and hopefully it wont be as bad as i've been told it might be

haha, chill dudes and put your handbags back in their holsters.

My most recent brewday was as follows

Coopers Sparkling Ale Kit (no i didnt take everyones advice)

1kg DME

250 gms Dex

15gms williamette 40 mins

15gms williamette 15 mins

20gms williamette dry hopped on day one

will keep you posted on first taste, and hopefully it wont be as bad as i've been told it might be

Awwh, Nick. I really didn't have my panties in a bunch over Scotties post. I was only trying to encourage him/everyone to post their brew day. [crying]

I do see now after re-reading my post that I came off rather bossy and out of character. Thanks for the slap to put me to rights.[wink]

Hey and about that SA recipe of yours... That's a lot of Willy in that brew. Have you used Willy before?[biggrin] I've got a big bag o' Willy that I'd love to hear somemore recipes that feature them.

@ Scottie,

Thanks Scottie. No offence and none taken![cool]

Now, lets get back to takin' Brew Day!

P.S Tobias, That Cervesa looks nice. Way to go "commando styles"[ninja]

At my place it's wet and the sun is not sunny so why not have lots of brew fun that is funny?!

Thought I'd do a variation on SteveL's EB based porter

1.7kg English Bitter

1.5kg Amber Malt

300g Dark Crystal Malt

200g Choc Malt

100g Roast Barley

250g White Sugar

Ferment with Coopers Commercial Ale yeast

Made to 22 litres OG:1051

The OG sample is delish - drank it down + a little bit more. [sideways]

At my place it's wet and the sun is not sunny so why not have lots of brew fun that is funny?!

Nice recipe Paul, sounds delightful.. Good to see that your also getting into the whole Dr Suess rhyming thing as well.[happy]

Tonight I'm dropping a mind numbing Euro Lager and an IPA Saaz Slam which I am very excited about.

Good luck and enjoy your brew day.

AdamN

Hey and about that SA recipe of yours... That's a lot of Willy in that brew. Have you used Willy before?[biggrin]

I took Scotties advice that the SA is quite sweet, so i thought Williamette would be a good choice for bittering. I had a taster when i bottled last weekend and there is no distinctive sweetness. I'll give it a couple of weeks and report back Chad

Scottie, ..

Your best brew should always be your next one [rightful]

Hey Hairy

I thought I was doing OK in this area, so I have just researched my own outlandish statements.

Did you know its actually been 9.7 weeks since my last outlandish statement (i.e. My Best Brew Ever). Prior to that I made a wow statement about mid January.

Two this year I reckon I'm going pretty good. All I need to do for the rest of the year is show restraint or continue making some shite beer. Not that the two I have kegged at the Mo are shite, Honey Blonde is in the bottom half for sure as it is bland, and the Hoegaarden clone is turning out not to be one at all; It's alright for 1 or 2 glasses but the third is not so enjoyable.

Scottie, ..

Your best brew should always be your next one [rightful]

Hey Hairy

I thought I was doing OK in this area, so I have just researched my own outlandish statements.

Did you know its actually been 9.7 weeks since my last outlandish statement (i.e. My Best Brew Ever). Prior to that I made a wow statement about mid January.

Two this year I reckon I'm going pretty good. All I need to do for the rest of the year is show restraint or continue making some shite beer. Not that the two I have kegged at the Mo are shite, Honey Blonde is in the bottom half for sure as it is bland, and the Hoegaarden clone is turning out not to be one at all; It's alright for 1 or 2 glasses but the third is not so enjoyable.

[lol] [lol] I know how you feel, Scottie!

As far as Brew Day!! goes what my two current kegged beers highlight to me is "That if my Brew Day!!Whatcha' got? includes a swag of hops then I'm a big chance of producing my best brew eva".

What I got at the Mo is 42 litres of wort in two FVs with 205 grams of Citrus hops. The first is two weeks in the FV and the second is 1 weeks. Dry hops went into the second today, mmmmm the aroma.

Once the hop bug bites ya; you're buggered [bandit]

Archived