Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just mashed in a VERY light Belgian Blond ale for my Dad, who tried his first Trappist ale last weekend and thought it was a bit of alright.

23L - OG 1.048

87.5% Ale Malt

5% Carapils

5% Wheat

2.5% Cane Sugar

Mashed @ 66C for 90 mins

60 min and whirlpool additions of Styrian Goldings to 25.2 IBU

Fermented with some harvested Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity

Bring on the volcano! I'm ready for you this time you freak! [lol]

Forgot to set my alarm last night, so got into Grain and Grape at 12. Got some stuff ready, and almost at boiling for the boil, specialties are steeped and added to the boil already.

Porter and IPA today/night, so will have to get the roast in the oven between brews. No Chilling now so saves me some time on brew day.

Sticky Wicket wrote:

Two brews in one day, solid effort, how long does that take?

Extract with specialty grains...probaby only started at 3, hope to finish the 2nd by 8:30. The killer is using a stovetop to boil 15-19L. Takes over 30 mins to get to a boil.

I usually do 2 brews at a time. Moving to No Chill has made it much more manageable.

I really want to invest in all grain and a 2 or 3 tap kegerator at some stage...just bottle 6-10 PET's and keg the rest.

Finally got a brew day happening again [w00t] I am putting this one down tomorrow but I thought I would post it now because I probably couldn't be stuffed tomorrow night.

It is a pale ale with a simple grain bill and a single hop. I am hoping for a nice, uncomplicated, refreshing beer but still with some body and kick.

5.3kg Joe White Traditional Ale malt

530g wheat malt

100g pale crystal

Centennial (10.2%) - 15g @ 40 minutes

Centennial - 20g @ 10 minutes

Centennial - 20g @ 0 minutes

Centennial - 20g hop tea before pitching

(No chilled)

BRY-97 yeast

23 litres

OG - 1054

FG - 1014

IBU - 40

ABV - 5.6%

I haven't sorted out the soundtrack yet. Maybe I should just put on Triple J as I have heard you are not cool if you don't [innocent]

Forgot to set my alarm last night, so got into Grain and Grape at 12. Got some stuff ready, and almost at boiling for the boil, specialties are steeped and added to the boil already.

Porter and IPA today/night, so will have to get the roast in the oven between brews. No Chilling now so saves me some time on brew day.

Sticky Wicket wrote:

Extract with specialty grains...probaby only started at 3, hope to finish the 2nd by 8:30. The killer is using a stovetop to boil 15-19L. Takes over 30 mins to get to a boil.

I usually do 2 brews at a time. Moving to No Chill has made it much more manageable.

I really want to invest in all grain and a 2 or 3 tap kegerator at some stage...just bottle 6-10 PET's and keg the rest.

Hey K

What is the difference between a 15l and the 6l that I do. What are the advantages of a bigger boil. I have room in my pot to step my boil up to 12l. Should I give it ago?

I'm led to believe that it increases hop utilization, as in, you get more bitterness from the same amount of hops at the same length of time in a bigger boil than a small one. I don't know how true it is; I sure don't have any way of testing it, but that's the theory anyway.

Sticky Wicket wrote:

Hey K

What is the difference between a 15l and the 6l that I do. What are the advantages of a bigger boil. I have room in my pot to step my boil up to 12l. Should I give it ago?

When doing a boil, 2 things affect the hop utilization in the recipe builders I have used (and are scientific fact I believe). The gravity of the wort, and boil volume.

Higher gravity and less utilization, bigger volume and more utilization.

Try it in the IanH spreadsheet or Beersmith.

Also trying to keep my boil gravity around 1050 and add the rest of the fermentables in the last 10 mins. I did the opposite for the IPA tonight and had a boilover...threw some extra DME in at the end to make up for it.

My other reason is a 15L boil plus a kettle of boiling water and I fill most of the 15L jerry cans I use for No Chilling. Just top up with spring water the next day when I pitch.

I should be steeping grains, sparging and adding all of that to the boil to make up my 15L or so...but I was trying to save time tonight, hence too much in the pot and boilover.

Is there a magic boil size where utilisation stops being an issue?

What is the percentage difference in hop utilisation between say a 6 litre boil and a 10 litre boil?

And does the amount of hops and the AA% of hops make a difference? For example, if you brewed a beer with 20 IBUs could you do a 6 litre boil instead of a 10 litre boil with no difference.

I don't know the answers to the above questions, I'm not sure if anyone actually does. But it would be nice to know before you made a decision to do big boils, with the extra chilling etc that comes along with it.

If a bigger boil extracts an extra 10% utilisation then this may not be enough to sway you to increase the boil.

Hey There K13, Hairy and Kelsey

Thanks for your input, and the good points raised.

Hairy raises some good points and the outcomes of which can be both economic and laborious.

I for one am not keen on saving a few dollars if it means a swag of extra time or effort.

If it is only about hop utilisation in regards to bitterness only then I need to weigh up the extra cost in electricity to bring 15l to the boil and then the time that I need to wait doing a no chill or the risk of doing a heat transfer chill in the bath tub. I am notoriously under prepared on my brew weekends; mainly I don't have my starter prepared in time and I don't start preparing my grains in time. Extra time chilling will stuff me up no end.

But if it was more about flavour and aroma then this is a different case as we are all out to make the best beer, in this case the time, money and effort would be worth it.

But know the question beckons, and I am loath to say it, if I am going to boil that size volume and all my fermentables should I not then switch straight to [surprised AG [pinched].

I do have the means to run an experiment and perhaps I should do so. I have never tried a Hop Thief, but see that the hops are Columbus and Simcoe which I am yet to use. The Hop Thief is an IPA I think, so I am thinking that I will plan a brew weekend that uses the same recipe with two different boil volumes. I will target the APA style, so if the boil size gives greater hop utilisation I should end up with an APA and an IPA which won't be a big drama as I like them both.

I don't think flavour and aroma additions are really affected by boil size, mainly hop bitterness.

As for full volume boils, I think the Americans (and Canadians) that do this for extracts are crazy. I think if you are going to boil full volume then you may as well go AG. Mashing is relatively easy/simple. Some of the main reasons for using extract is for convenience and so you don't have to do full boils.

Finally got a brew day happening again [w00t] I am putting this one down tomorrow but I thought I would post it now because I probably couldn't be stuffed tomorrow night.

It is a pale ale with a simple grain bill and a single hop. I am hoping for a nice, uncomplicated, refreshing beer but still with some body and kick.

530g wheat malt

100g pale crystal

(No chilled)

BRY-97 yeast

23 litres

OG - 1054

FG - 1014

IBU - 40

ABV - 5.6%

I haven't sorted out the soundtrack yet. Maybe I should just put on Triple J as I have heard you are not cool if you don't [innocent]

Sounds like a nice drop Hairy. Good choice on the hops too. I actually like Centennial far more than Cascade, without wanting to risk [alien]ating myself. [lol]

I don't think flavour and aroma additions are really affected by boil size, mainly hop bitterness.

As for full volume boils, I think the Americans (and Canadians) that do this for extracts are crazy. I think if you are going to boil full volume then you may as well go AG. Mashing is relatively easy/simple. Some of the main reasons for using extract is for convenience and so you don't have to do full boils.

[alien] I agree with Hairy about the insanity of extract full boils. I have done this in the past but more to get an understanding of my new brewing set-up and practise for AG full-boils than anything else.[joyful]

530g wheat malt

100g pale crystal

(No chilled)

BRY-97 yeast

23 litres

OG - 1054

FG - 1014

IBU - 40

ABV - 5.6%

It was a good brew day today. I have sorted out my volume issues that I had previously.

I measured the pot with my metal ruler using a proper measuring jug. It turns out the jug I was using to measure water volume before was significantly out. And I mean heaps. As a test I filled the pot with 18 litres according to the plastic jug. I put in the ruler and it turns out it was only about 15.5 litres [surprised

Anyway, I used the ruler and hit all my volume targets bang on. I still want to upgrade to an adjustable medium pressure regulator for the gas burner though.

Hairy, I had one brew day before I decided to spend the $30 and get the adjustable medium pressure regulator. It was a decision that was easy, it saves so much time.

I assume you are using a three ring burner, bite the bullet mate you wont regret it.

Hairy, I had one brew day before I decided to spend the $30 and get the adjustable medium pressure regulator. It was a decision that was easy, it saves so much time.

I assume you are using a three ring burner, bite the bullet mate you wont regret it.

I have an Italian Spiral Burner. The low pressure reg gives a good enough boil but takes ages to get there.

I will be ordering a med pressure one this week [wink]

A huge +1 for the adjustable regulator. My 3 ring is like a different burner. When I turn it up it roars, and blue flames come up round the outside of the pot.

The funny thing is, I seem to be using less gas but get a stronger boil. [unsure]

I had a pretty cool brew day all up in the end as well. I hit my volumes to within 2mm in depth, so pretty happy there.

Turned out 1.047 rather than 1.048, but that'll suit Dad's tastes.

It's a good feeling getting your system tuned in. Now that I've got the adjustable regulator, I won't be making any major changes any time soon, so hopefully all brew days in the near future will be nice and consistent. [cool] [love] [happy]

I had a good brew day also, I am still doing some fine tuning on the system.

I think I could use about 1/2 a litre less strike water, I hit the 60 minute mark and I was at 1048 and I was bit full on the volume. I was aiming at 1050, so I tried a little experiment and pulled the hops from the boil and boiled for an additional 15 mins. Wollar 1050 and volume was perfect.

I hope what I have done isn't going to have a massive effect on my brews bitterness and taste.

I also use less gas, I think it is because you get the temps you require faster and once I get to the boil I turn regulator down.

Brewed a Choc-Magnum Porter today.

A really basic brew, always with great results - 3.5kg Pale Malt, 1kg Choc Malt, 0.5kg Dark Crystal Malt and 30g Magnum for 30mins.

Hey Paul, did you use an Aussie pale malt? I am thinking of stealing your recipe and brewing this on the weekend.

How do you think this will go if I use Golden Promise as the ale malt, or possibly Marris Otter?

Or perhaps a 50/50 blend of Aussie pale and MO? Or some other percentage break up?

There are too many malts and too many options, combined with my penchant for tinkering with other's recipes.

Opened a tallie of this brew yesterday (15 days in the bottle) - very nice! [love] Looking forward to tapping the keg with the 50:50 N2/CO2 blend!!

I used Joe White Ale Malt. You could use MO but I reckon the Choc and Crystal dominate to such an extent that it would be impossible to pick what Pale Malt is used...

Thanks Paul. Usually I would just sub it without asking but with that much chocolate I thought I had better check. I'll stick with the Joe White myself.

I'm looking forward to this one [w00t]

Archived