Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

I've never endorsed one of my recipes so early but this one is a winner. Soooo goooood and soooooo easy.....I might put together a recipe pack to sell...will anyone give me $50 for a Muddy Brown recipe pack? I'll do it with free postage for $65 [biggrin]

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back on topic I have nothing much to offer except that I had a totally unplanned brew session last night. I found a can of Dark ale last night as I was continuing my cleaning process to decrapify and make room for my keezer so 5 mins into my cleaning session it turned into a brew session and an hour after that I had a American Brown Ale of sorts in the brew fridge.

I haven't made a kit brew for a while but it was nice to do a simple and quick brew for a change - We'll se how it turns out but I'm sure it will be good if not better.

Muddy's Downtown Brown

1 x Coopers OS Dark Ale

1kg LDM

250g light crystal/caramalt steeped

250g Dextrose

Repitched US-05

I'll make the final decision on dry hopping when I actually do it but it will probably be something along the lines of 25g Cascade and 25g Centennial....and maybe a little something added to the keg....amarillo, mosaic???

I don't usually post recipes that aren't tried and true but as a kit recipe I can only take part of the blame if it doesn't turn out as it did in my head (but then again I usually put in a bit more thought than the 30 secs I gave this recipe).

Just dry hopped this bad boy and added 40g each of cascade and centennial. Don't know if I should leave it at that or maybe dry hop the keg with 20g of citra or maybe mosaic???? I haven't used moasic before.

Decisions, decisions [cool]

This will be going on my US-05 trub from the American Amber Ale I am doing - thanks Muddy [biggrin]

Kegged/Bottled the Choc-Magnum yesterday. The chocolate aroma is huge [w00t] In my excitement, I poured half a glass from the FV and asked my oldest daughter to check out the chocolatey aromas - she said, "smells like beer" ... What can ya do?? [sad]

Today, I put together a DIY Beer version of this year's vintage recipe [ninja]

Another crack at a LCPA clone. This time with Wyeast 1332.

First time using a stir plate (the Digital Homebrew unit).

A warning for those using a stir plate for the first time, make sure you retrieve the sir rod before rinsing out your jar. Had to pull the "S' trap apart to retrieve the rod.

Anyway 21 litre brew with the yeast pitched at 20'C, smells good but only time will tell if its the real deal.

LCPA III

1.5kg Coopers LME

1.5kg Coopers WME

250g Medium Crystal (120 EBC)

15g Centennial @ 40mins

20g Cascade @ 20mins

20g Galaxy @ 20mins

15g @ 7 mins

15g @ 7 mins

planning to Dry Hop later in the week

Cascade and Galaxy 10g each

Just Cubed a US Brown ale but for some reason finished with an unexpected 1.065 OG after doing a double batch sparge which had be scuttling back to the computer to re-tweak the recipe [annoyed]

Once the brew has finished fermenting Im dropping a Coopers English bitter on the yeast cake.

No worries Muddy

4kg Maris

500g Brown

680g Victory

450g Crystal pale

450g Flaked oats

120g Chocolate

2 pkts Notto yeast and a teaspoon of nutrient

Mash came at about 65\xb0 for 70 or so minutes

First runnings were 1.070, Second 1.055 and OG 1.065 (approx 76% Efficency)

25g Cascade in the mash

25g Coloumbus @60

25g Cascade @30

25g Cascade @15

10g Willamette @10

10g Cascade @5

Will dry hop with a Cascade/Coloumbus/Willamette cocktail

As you can see below the numbers dont quite hit for a brown ale [biggrin]

brownale.jpg

I brewed and cubed the following recipe on Thursday. I'm not really sure what style it would be classed as but will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm calling it an Amber Ale anyway.

4.00 kg BB Ale Malt

300g Caraaroma

200g CaraPils

100g Black Patent

80 min boil

20.00 g Cascade [5.60 %] - First Wort Hop

8.00 g Super Galena [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min

20.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min

Will use US-05 yeast and probably dry hop with 30g Cascade.

Pre-boil SG 1032, post boil 1040. Efficiency 73.5% based on getting 25L for the batch (may be a little more). 36.3 IBU, 30.5 EBC. Should get somewhere around 4.4% - 4.8% ABV in the bottle.

Sorry Chad, for hijacking this thread.

I don't have a Brown Ale on the go, nor have I had a "Brew Day" as such.

Just put down a Wheat Beer. Nothing complicated as it is my first wheat & I want a base line for future comparisons.

1 x Coopers Wheat Concentrate

1kg Dry Wheat Malt

Danstar Munich yeast

22 litres (should have been 21 but I overshot the mark [crying] )

Planning to brew at 23 deg.

As I said, it wasn't a "brew day" - more like a "brew 45 mins" [cool]

Looks good Greg.

It is similar to one I put done a while ago. I had been doing a lot a extract and partial mash brews and spending hours brewing.

So I timed my wheat beer prep - 20 minutes including cleaning up. You must have had cruisey one Greg [biggrin]

20 minutes including cleaning up. You must have had cruisey one Greg [biggrin]

Yeah, it wasn't rushed too much.

The 45 minutes was from first step - "pour 425ml of homebrew into the brewer" to final step - "put rubbish in the bin & pour another 425ml of homebrew into the brewer". [cool]

As I said' date=' it wasn't a "brew day" - more like a "brew 45 mins" [cool']

[lol] The brown I mentioned putting down was only about a 30 min "brewday" - and that included recipe planning. But it turned out a great beer [love] ....it isn't the size of your brewday that matters, it is what you do with it [innocent]

How would you rate them?

Coloumbus is an awesome hop, very strong resin skunky profile (think Cannabis aroma) one of my favorite IPA hops.

Willamette I bought because my supplier at the time didnt have Fuggles, to be honest with you Ive only used it once in a sparkling ale kit and I didn't particulary enjoy the flavour combined with that kit so thats all I can say about it at this stage.

I've had a hard time making Willamette taste good.[annoyed] I have a good size bag of the stuff so I'm keen to hear of some good recipes to use it up. I've recently put down an American Cream Ale that has W. as bittering which has promise. Who Knows?[unsure]

Same here Chad. I am drinking an amber ale currently which used Willamette as bittering and flavouring additions, and it's not too bad. It's kinda fruity, not my best brew ever but definitely not tip-down-the-drain worthy either. I dry hopped it with 35g Fuggles too so that may be why it's better than the extract version I brewed.

I'm currently boiling a 5L flask of wort for a lager starter (4L) for my next batch. I bottled my Sussex Suntan Ale today, I was going to cold crash it but I wanted to get it bottled before the weather gets too much colder so it carbs properly. It will sit in the fridge until next week when I'll be putting another lager in the FV. [biggrin]

Hey Gang,

I had a brief break in a hectic work schedule so I figured I'd put down a simple brew. I thought I'd make a Porter using the OS stout can...

It seems that I can't do a simple brew anymore. I'm always thinking about trying new things and this time it's toasting malt! I decided to try toasting 200g of wheat malt @ 350F for 20mins.[sideways].

This is what I came up with.

Honey Porter

1.7Kg OS Stout

1.0Kg DME (Light)

500g Pale ale malt

350g Honey Malt

200g Wheat Malt (toasted @ 350F for 20mins)

23L water (12L boil)

Mashed @ 65-68C for 60mins

6g Fuggles 30mins

10g EKG 5mins

11.5g US-05 sprinkled dry @ 21C

Archived