Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of those brews I just throw together and don't bother taking any readings - spose I could take a sample to be analysed in the lab. Maybe next time I brew it [innocent]

The target figures (using the "Beer Alchemy" iPhone app) - OG: 1046, FG: 1013, 4.3%ABV and 41BU - it doesn't taste that bitter, seems more like 30ish to my tastes. [unsure]

I put my recipe into Brewmate (sorry, PB2's recipe). I am working on a 65% efficiency until I finalise the numbers I'm getting with the new system so I threw in an extra 500g ale malt.

That gives me:

OG - 1047

FG - 1013

IBU - 43

I'll live with that. And if I get slightly better efficiency then I will live with too [cool]

It's not' date=' but I can't actually find a no-chill option on Beersmith anywhere. [/quote']

Don't quote me on this (well you can but I am disclaiming everything), I think the no-chill option in Brewmate treats the addition as 15 minutes earlier.

So the 30 minute no-chill addition would be calculated as a 45 minute chilled addition.

I might play around with it in Brewmate when I get a chance to see if that is correct.

In the meantime, just treat it as a possibility [biggrin]

I am still too early into my no-chill career to confirm it but I thought it appeared quite high.

My last brew I calculated the no-chill IBUs in Brewmate to be 41, but I was hoping for mid-30's. I figured if the software is close then I would still like the beer with 40 IBUs.

Eventually I will get a feel for it and will end up doing something like you do.

It's a strange one. I normally do my recipes in Beersmith without even a second thought to accounting for no-chill. I've not found one to be way over the top with bitterness that I wasn't expecting yet. In fact in my ever evolving Hellesraiser recipe, I'm going to slightly up the later hop addition to get an extra IBU or so out of it just to see what sort of difference it makes to the final brew. It won't be strictly to style but who cares.[lol]

Put down brew #4 last night. Scotch ale from how to brew section.

-TC Sparkling ale

-TC Liquid amber malt

-500g Dark brown sugar

-Kit yeast pitched in 21 litres

Didn't add any hops because the description said it should be mainly malty aromas, little to no hoppy aromas. Not very exciting but I'm getting excited about every brew at the moment.

A-Tron, let us know how it turns out. I don't think I have seen any feedback on that recipe.

You don't see too many commercial varieties of Scottish Ales around here. Red Hill do a nice one and you should have seen my excitement when I walked into Panthers Leagues Club last month and saw Malt Shovel's Wee Highlander (a wee heavy) on tap.

It was delicious [love]

Brew Boys in Adelaide do a wee heavy called 'Seeing Double'.

It's a nice drop, but usually the last thing I remember for the evening (or day). [innocent]

Anyone in Adelaide who hasn't stopped in for a Maiden Ale or Ace of Spades should really make the time to swing by. [love] [love]

I'll let you all know how it goes in a few weeks. You'll need to take my review with a grain of salt though as I'm pretty new to this so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just think its amazing. I thought my OS Lager with BE1 was amazing so......

I thought my OS Lager with BE1 was amazing so......

[sick] [biggrin] [innocent]

Hey A-tron,

Did you use one packet of yeast or two? There is a lot of stuff in your recipe for the yeast to chomp through. One packet(7g) might be an under-pitch. I always try to use two(14g).

Hey A-tron,

Did you use one packet of yeast or two? There is a lot of stuff in your recipe for the yeast to chomp through. One packet(7g) might be an under-pitch. I always try to use two(14g).

If you're talking about my scotch ale I only used one. Have been a bit worried because og was 1.055. Only read afterwards I might need more. Got good krausen and smells coming out though so hopefully it'll be alright. Decided on Sunday night to put it on so had to use what I had. Do you think I might have problems? I hope not because I'm really looking forward to this one.

Archived