Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

[lol] Yeah, I know guys. To me, carrying the ~13L of sparge water from the kitchen and tipping it onto the grains doesn't sound as hard as juggling the water around from vessel to vessel outside.

As I said, a pump will probably happen in the future and it won't be an issue.

I think you should consider another burner before/instead of a pump. I also think you should think about a fly sparge set-up. I'm getting 80% Effeciency. This will pay off the second burner with the saving in grain after a while.[wink]

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always heated my sparge water on the stove for BIAB anyway' date=' as my kettle sits on the burner during mashing/lagging.[/quote']

Why do you have the kettle on the burner during the mash? It can't be doing anything durning the mash. as there is nothing in the kettle to boil at this point.

I heat all 32L of liquor for my 21L batch at once in the HLT on the uppper burner. I then let the 12L or so into the MLT from the HLT for my strike water and mash. The remainder of the liquor stays in the HLT for the entire mash and would get reheated to sparge temp. just prior to mash out or sparging.

I really don't see any real benifit to have you burner under the kettle before you've run off. I mean there might be a bit of time savings by heating the first running but that should be a benefit of a second burner rather than a priority.[rightful]

RSVP Phil, I am happy to keep talking about this topic as I'm trying to come up with a good set-up as well.

Why do you have the kettle on the burner during the mash? It can't be doing anything durning the mash. as there is nothing in the kettle to boil at this point.

Because when I BIAB, I heat up 20+ litres of water to mash in, and wanted to do as little lifting of the pot full of water as possible, considering it needs to go back on for the boil anyway. Of course, this won't be a problem when I start mashing in a cooler. [cool] I like quite a runny mash, so I'll usually only have 12-14L of sparge water to move around, which is easier for me to juggle than 20+ litres of water or mash in a much bigger pot.

My upper body strength is pretty poor at the best of times, but it's my back in the long term I'm wanting to keep intact. [crying]

3 tier gravity fed would be good, but pretty effin' high off the ground.

What I'd like one day is an all stainless pump fed 3V, 3 burner setup with a heated MT. [biggrin] [cool]

Aaah, I think I just realised where the confusion is coming from.

When I was talking about the kettle sitting on the burner for the mash, I was meaning a kettle full of mash & BIAB bag, not an empty kettle. I was referring to how I did things with BIAB, not how I was gonna do things with 3V.

Aaah, I think I just realised where the confusion is coming from.

When I was talking about the kettle sitting on the burner for the mash, I was meaning a kettle full of mash & BIAB bag, not an empty kettle. I was referring to how I did things with BIAB, not how I was gonna do things with 3V.

Ah!

I figured you were mashing in a cooler and were draining to an empty kettle. Hence the advice to heat the sparge water and then move the burner under the kettle before draining.

So what are you asking for comments on, BIAB or 3V?

Just kegged:

Coopers English bitter

1kg Light dry Malt

100g Steeped Cascade to 500ml water strained into the Keg

Just put down to ferment:

Morgans Bavarian Wheat kit

1kg Dark dry Malt extract

24g of Danstar Munich yeast

Top to 21L Fermenting at 20\xb0c

Im open to suggestions on a dry hop but this was all about the yeast, maybe a touch of Saaz

So what are you asking for comments on' date=' BIAB or 3V?[/quote']

I have no idea anymore. [crying]

Roll a dice and run with whatever number you get. I would really love to see your 6V system when it is up and running.

Brew day whatcha haven't got is more like it. I ordered four recipes on Wednesday and none of them have turned up, I am pissed!

This means my effort to get my bottle count back up has been hampered.

I am not happy, I was looking forward to the sweet smell of grain , and those hop aromas.

Now I contemplate an extract brew, not quite the same, particularly the process![annoyed]

That sucks Sticky.

The last two hose barb fittings I needed for my new mash tun arrived today, so it looks like we're all systems go for the 3V run on Sunday. [biggrin]

Hey, Stick. Do you have a mill mate? I can't remember the last time I got caught out without the ingredients. I've usually got a 55L tub full of base malt and all my crystals, wheat, choc, roast, munich are in 5kg bags which get replenished when they start to look sad.

Avoids having to skip brew day. [happy]

Hey Phil

I am interested to see how you compare the techniques, not that I would change, I am happy with what I have at the moment. If I wrap my Keggle in a woolen blanket and dooner, I dont lose much heat at all.

I dont have a mill, that is probably my next investment. I am sure it is the way to go for one obvious reason, no brew day this weekend, and I am sure it is more economical. I am pretty sure the SWMBO has got me a stir plate for my birthday, so thats another bit kit I will have.

Sticky, do you have a LHBS?

I usually give mine a call in the morning or the day before. Then I collect it and it is ready to go. But it is only about a 15 drive for me.

I will occasionally go through Craftbrewer but the postage is a killer.

Looks like a mill will be a good investment, for both of us. There is a mill bulk buy on at AHB at the moment. I haven't looked into the quality of the unit though.

Hey Hairy,

I do have a LHBS, but his mill is buggered at the moment so I cant go there. I dont fancy cracking each bit of grain with a hammer, so that wont happen.

The guys at Six String Brewing are great blokes, and the last time this happened they sorted me out with the grain I needed for a few bottled of my best, but I dont want to make a habit of that.

I think your right we need a mill. The thing is Marks Home Brew is cheap, and it comes measured and milled, that's grain and hops, so pretty convenient really.

I think its time to be a bit more prepared myself, I am just concerned about losing freshness with the storage of a lot of specialty grains.

I think its time to be a bit more prepared myself, I am just concerned about losing freshness with the storage of a lot of specialty grains.

I put all my grains (and hops) in vacuum sealed bags, even the base malts. I mainly do this because I don't brew all that often so they tend to sit in storage for long periods. I have a mill though so I just buy grains uncracked. Perhaps a vac sealer could be another addition to the equipment list. [biggrin]

Chad, i dont think i've contributed to this thread, cos i "got nothing" but its been great reading everyones stories.

Great thread mate[biggrin]

Thanks for saying so, Nick! I have been enjoying this one myself.[joyful] I seem to remember a thread of your's not so long ago having quite a good run.[smile] I still have the Grizzly Adams/Canadian Eh!L photoshop creation that Muddy came up with for a wallpaper back drop on the ol' computer![biggrin]

Hey, if you've been brewing beer then you must have a story of your own to tell[rightful]. Lets hear it!

Ok, determination means I am brewing today. I have had to pay about double the norm for my ingredients, but I have them, and are going to brew an American Pale Ale. A recipe of my own, I have named the Cascalaxy Pale Ale.

Grain Bill

Ale Malt 5KG 87%

Caramalt 250g 4.3%

Wheat malt 500g 8.7%

Hops

East Kent Goldings 30 g @ 60 min

Cascade 20g @ 10 min

Galaxy 20g @ 10 min

Cascade 15g @ 1 min

Galaxy 15g @ 1 min

Cascade 35 g dry hop

Washed US-05

Where there's a will there's a way! Just heating strike water now. My only reconsideration is changing the 10 min hop additions to 20 mins any thoughts?

Just threw the Roasted Barley in the fridge after giving it the rolling pin treatment so I can get Mr Sinister going tomorrow.

Can I count this is my first tentative steps at grain brewing? And where can I go to learn how to decipher Sticky's above post!

Hey William,

What I have written above is a recipe for an All Grain brew. The first three ingredients are malted grain and the amounts that were used.

The next lot of ingredients are the hops, and the amounts that were used, and when they were added to the boil. The hops depending on when they were added will impart different qualities either bittering, flavour, aroma or a mix of all three.

Basically there are three types of brewing, the most basic using pre bittered kits, sugers, malts, hops, etc.

Extract and partial extract brewing using using dry and liquid malt extracts, and using a boil to add hops and grain, The brewer has more control and recipes available.

Lastly All Grain brewing, where the brewer mashes to extract the sweet wort and a boil to add hops.

You will find lots of videos on the net that relate to all the different brewing techniques, that's how I got interested in AG brewing.

But yes now that you are steeping some grain, you are on your way, and it is a slippery slope from here, if you are anything like myself and some of the guys on the forum, you could be AG brewing before you know it. Its a great hobby bud, and the guys here will help with any question you have.[happy]

I had a brew day yesterday and it went great. I have definitely sorted out my volumes and processes. Now I just need to slip into my comfort zone and stuff something up [biggrin]

It is some sort of amber ale. Details are:

OG - 1051 (expected)

FG - 1013 (expected)

ABV - 5.4%

IBU - 31

4.7kg Marris Otter

300g Wheat malt

350g Light Crystal

230g Medium Crystal

120g Dark Crystal

60g Carafa II special

10g Magnum (13%) @ 40 minutes

10g Cascade (6.2%) @ 10 minutes

5g Galaxy (14.3%) @ 10 minutes

10g Cascade @ 0 minutes

5g Galaxy @ 0 minutes

20g Cascade - steeped/ hop tea

10g Galaxy - steeped/hop tea

No chill

23 litres

US-05 yeast

I love no chilling; I can brew when I have the time. I now have a brew ready to be bottled today and two cubes of wort ready to be fermented.

Way to go Hairy [cool] at least one of us is going well. [crying]

Been trying since last night to get a seal on my esky mash tun and am now thoroughly pissed off.

Just failed my 5th attempt. S**t loads of pink thread tape, silicon gasket and SS washer on BOTH sides, tightened to hell and still leaking.

Couple that with an inflamed lymph node in my jaw from a wisdom tooth that got removed a month ago and I'm absolutely livid. Heading to Bunnings for some silicon, but if that doesn't work I'll be BIABing this weekend. [pinched]

Like Hairy brew day went well, missed SG a little but not a significant amount, was aiming at 1050 and got 1048. I did experience a larger drop in temp than normal, maybe its just the way I wrapped the Kettle in blanket and doona.

I feel your pain Phil, it is frustrating when the plan doesn't come together. Look on the bright side the alternative is pretty good, and your 3v system is pretty close to complete.

Good luck with the silicon! [annoyed]

My esky mash tun had a slight leak. I got an extra 2nd silicone washer for each side of the mash tun and now it is a very, very slight leak. Nothing to worry about but a little annoying.

I found tightening too much started to warp the plastic making it worse. Just a matter of finding the right balance.

Phil, let me know if you find a solution and I will try it too.

Archived