Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

I'm gonna try one more time without the silicon as it requires 72hrs to cure.

I've got a silicon baking tray that I will cut come gaskets out of and see how I go.

Still pretty mad, but goo to know I'm not the only one who's had the problem. Cheers Hairy.

My kettles sealed first time, every time. [pinched]

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep' date=' it sure did Chad, I've tried that one and several silicon ones. F**k it, I can't afford to start any later, so the pillow case it is! [pinched'] [crying]

[crying] Sorry to hear that, Mate. Don't give up! Life is full of adversites.

Don't Panic!![biggrin]

BTW, I believe it was you and PB2 talking about an AG version of a Cooper's SA? I would like to try my hand at that one. Would you (or Paul) remind me of the recipe?

Well, ended up getting so frustrated with the whole deal that I'm not brewing at all today. [crying]

My face hurts, my mash tun is still leaking, and my dog keeps ripping disgusting farts. I mean, seriously, my eyes are burning.

I'm going to persevere during the week with operation mash tun, but I don't think I will find any enjoyment in it today. It's Battlestar Galactica and hot cups of tea for me until beer o'clock hits later on.

Sorry for not having anything positive to post about my brew day guys, but Chad did say he wanted successes and failures. [pinched]

My face hurts, my mash tun is still leaking, and my dog keeps ripping disgusting farts. I mean, seriously, my eyes are burning.

Sorry to here about your brewday disasters Phil and theres not much advice i can give you. But as far as the dog is concerned, i am sure that you get plenty of revenge if your Madras Curry does to you what it did to me[crying] [sick]

I agree Phil, ones brand is pleasant.

Mate, I wish your brew day had got off the ground.[annoyed]

On another not I do like how quickly washed yeast gets going, I hadn't washed any since the dreaded infection, or at least that's where I reckon it came from. Couldn't be sure though![sad]

Got the Mr Sinister under way as I limp my way towards doing my first AG brew. OG came in at 1065, but I couldn't find anywhere if that was right? If I did my sums right though and provided the yeast stuffs itself stupid and eats everything in sight it should get me pretty close to the advertised 7.2% ABV

Thanks for that run down too Sticky, and yep I'm pretty keen to have a crack at doing an all grain brew. But surprisingly for me, I'm easing my way into it with the kits first just to make sure I can get the basics right first. Normally it's more like who needs instructions? Pfft not me!

My ultimate goal will be to make something thats pretty close to my favorite beer, Chimay Blue and from what I've read so far doing that will make rocket science look like colouring by numbers! I have a long (fun!) way to go.

got celebration ale nearly ready to bottle.

another brand European lager nearly ready

RI stout down to 1028

put a double down today another brand (fish) classic blonde) with ultra brew sugar and Amarillo hops added for a tester

got 135 l in fermenters.

the other half reckons I have a problem !

Woohoo! [biggrin]

Hairy mate, THIS STUFF is what you want for your mash tun. Tested tonight and she's leak free! So excited I can't even think of a lame prostate related drip joke. [lol]

I just used the tiniest amount around the spigot hole on the inside of the cooler and quickly put the bulk head and washers in and tightened them. Silicone squished out around the washer and I'm guessing it must have bogged up the all-thread as well. [cool]

Might be tricky come time to take apart and clean, but feck it, I'm happy!

Sorry for the unhappy posting yesterday gents. Hopefully this coming weekend I will have mega rad news to post about my first 3V brew day.

Woohoo! [biggrin]

Hairy mate, THIS STUFF is what you want for your mash tun. Tested tonight and she's leak free! So excited I can't even think of a lame prostate related drip joke. [lol]

I just used the tiniest amount around the spigot hole on the inside of the cooler and quickly put the bulk head and washers in and tightened them. Silicone squished out around the washer and I'm guessing it must have bogged up the all-thread as well. [cool]

I have some of that stuff in the garage. I might give it a go. Although the tun only had a very slight leak on the weekend, like one drip every 5 minutes. I just wrapped a hand towel around it.

Thanks mate. I hope next weekend is better for you; both your health and your brewing.

ryy.jpg

This is a picture of my 3V gravity feed set-up. I have just put it together today. It is very low budget. It consists of a 35L HLT, a 40sishL esky, a 35L kettle, a baker's rack, 2 burners, a couple scraps of plywood, a couple length of hose, 50' of garden hose, a step ladder and one ski pole.

I can say that I am very excited to try this new set-up. Thanks Phil for making me think about my set-up more clearly![cool]

That's wicked-cool Chad! [cool]

A picture is definitely worth 1,000 posts. [biggrin]

Now that my leaking problem is solved (along with my mash tun sealing correctly [innocent]) I can hit it this weekend. I'll take photos as I go.

Am I correct in assuming that you get fewer losses to evap with your taller narrower kettle than I would with my short & fat one?

That's wicked-cool Chad! [cool]

A picture is definitely worth 1,000 posts. [biggrin]

Now that my leaking problem is solved (along with my mash tun sealing correctly [innocent]) I can hit it this weekend. I'll take photos as I go.

Am I correct in assuming that you get fewer losses to evap with your taller narrower kettle than I would with my short & fat one?

Thanks Phil, I'm stoked to give it a whirl in the morning. You see what I mean about needing some height on the HLT? You deffinitely need a step ladder to see what's going on up there.

Yea, The tall, narrow vessel performs way better as the kettle for that very reason as well as a couple of others. The tall one (kettle) is AL and the HLT is SS. The AL kettle is way lighter to lift when it is time to move the entire brew into the ice bath. The other reason is that the AL kettle doesn't have a tap (yet) so it works best at the bottom of the set-up.

Nice work Chad; let us know how she goes.

My 50l kettle is sized inbetween yours. Fatter than your boil kettle but taller and thinner than your HLT.

Is that the ski pole holding up the mash tun? [biggrin]

Hey Gang,

I had a wicked brew day today. My new 3V set-up worked amazingly[biggrin] ! I brewed a APA with some Pale malt some Crystal 40L, some cascade, centenneal, perle, magnum, and citra. The Citra was leaf. I don't really like how the leaf clogs up my system so I tried something new. This time it was Mash Hopping. I threw 16g Citra whole leaf in with the grist for a 90mins mash. Don't know to what effect[unsure]. Has anyone tried this one before?

The other new trial run was a quickly designed/built (during the mash) fly sprage drip manifold. This thing works pretty darn good for the time/thought/$$ invested.

Archived