Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhh, stop it you guys, you must be of similar vintage Dave, I am a bottle of 69.

It sounds like we have all been at the same gig at some stage. Particularly the Fishos, must have seen the Rifles there or the Mona a over 25 times.

Did either of you guys see the Cramps or But..hole Surfers at the Dee Why?

I wonder who you both are?

I'm 1965 vintage

So I'm guessing this was around '80-'85

I used to love live music, but the pubs I guess made more money with a disco.

And they ruined The Narrabeen Antler - it used to be a great surfie pub - when they did it up and changed it to The Sands, it completely ruined the vibe

Yep about that time, The Cramps visited twice, probably 81 and 85, cant be sure on that.

Hey Muddy, did you know some of the guys from the old Manly Beach front beer crew? Maybe Googs, Grogy, Navy, Missile, Forey, Nobes or any of those boys?

I'm glad they didn't have smart phones and youtube in those days.

Don't think I would like my teenage daughters seeing their father slam dance at a WW XXIV gig[lol]

Here here, although the photos my parents have shown my kids of Mohawks, Dr martins, Leather, Bristles, Studs and Acne. They dont leave much to the imagination.

I did a brew day last Thursday, which was another Hellesraiser.

4kg Pils Malt

500g Munich II Malt

250g Carapils

100g Carared

It was mashed for 90 minutes at around 65/66C then did a 10 minute mash out at 75C. Pre boil gravity at 32 litres was 1039.

Hops were

20g Hersbrucker as a FWH addition

7g Magnum at 60 minutes

25g Hersbrucker at 20 minutes.

Half a whirlfloc at ten mins.

I don't know how much I got out of it, but it's somewhere between 23 and 25 litres and its gravity was hovering around the 1044 mark post boil.

My modified hop sock also got its first run and performed well. It's similar to Muddy's hop spider except I have three stainless steel rods attached to it which are bent into shape to snugly fit over the edge of the urn and stay put during the boil. [cool]

Brew Day #50 and I put down my first Lager, the Oktoberfest . I'll have to thank Hairy for the inspiration and cross my fingers that it works out. The FV is sitting on the floor in my brew cupboard, where the temps has been a max of 13'C over the last week. So heat mat set at 12'C.

After dinner I am going to put down my Hop Burglar [bandit] .

Brew Day #50 and I put down my first Lager....

After dinner I am going to put down my Hop Burglar [bandit] .

Hop boil completed, 60 grams counted in from 45 minutes, 20 minutes into the chill down, 1056 smack pack is about to burst, another 20 minutes and she'll be all over.

Ok so I am about to drop a brew which was going to be the unreal ale but I am wonder what the best beer I could get from my ingredients or what to use!

So I have the real ale kit, 500g LDM, 1kg Dex 1kg brew enhancer 1 1 kg brew enhancer 2 25g of cascade pellets & 25g of Amarillo pellets. Just wondering is there any benefit to hopping this? & how much of the other stuff should I put in for a nice beer! Oh & 2 packets of kit yeast! should I use both or just 1?

Cheers guys for any help on this! & im prob gonna drop it within the next hr or so!

How strong do you want it?

I'm not a huge fan of the brew Enhancers but you could try:

Real ale kit

1kg BE2

500g LDM

All the hops

2 yeast packets

Or

Real Ale kit

500g LDM

300g dextrose

All the hops

1 yeast packet

You can use the hops however you like. Perhaps 10g each at 10 or 15 minutes and 15g each dry hopped.

Real ale kit

1kg BE2

500g LDM

All the hops

2 yeast packets

Or

Real Ale kit

500g LDM

300g dextrose

All the hops

1 yeast packet

You can use the hops however you like. Perhaps 10g each at 10 or 15 minutes and 15g each dry hopped.

The first brew above will have 750g LDM, 500g dex and 250g maltodextrin. This one has more fermentables then the second recipe and will be stronger.

Real ale kit

1kg BE2

500g LDM

All the hops

2 yeast packets

Or

Real Ale kit

500g LDM

300g dextrose

All the hops

1 yeast packet

The first brew above will have 750g LDM, 500g dex and 250g maltodextrin. This one has more fermentables then the second recipe and will be stronger.

Ah ok Cheers Hairy!! Well im going to take your advice & drop the top one then!! & again cheers for the advice!![happy]

Brew day over, just beautiful [love]

Edit: Just read about Dman's rocket fuel brew, mine is aiming at 3.8%. I find that I can't stop at two of these hoppy brews, so best off keeping them in the mid range [rightful] .

Brew day over' date=' just beautiful [love']

Edit: Just read about Dman's rocket fuel brew, mine is aiming at 3.8%. I find that I can't stop at two of these hoppy brews, so best off keeping them in the mid range [rightful] .

Haha Cheers Scottie! I wish it will be rocket fuel but im not counting on it! Just steeping the hops at the moment then its game on!!

Had a smell of my fruit salad ale before CCing it! Holy ....... fark it smells absolutely amazing!!! I really don't know how long it will last in the bottle tho! & on that subject im currently tasting cant stop drinking my first brew! The lager1 Although I don't think its quite ready yet! been nearly 3 weeks its still quite yeasty & only a little bit fizzy!! but still even at this stage its not bad!! Cant wait for my Irish ale & fruit salad ales to be ready!! [biggrin]

Ok well brew day/ night is done!

Real Ale kit + 1kg BE2 500g LDM 500g Dex with 25g of both Cascade & Amarillo & 14g of kit yeast for good measure! OG 1055. Does anyone know the expected FG? Im hoping for around 1010 as that equates to 6% ABV oh hell yeah!! [love]

Cheers Kelsey & Hairy for your help!!

That FG would equate to around 6.3% ABV after you account for the bottle priming sugar. I reckon the Cascade and Amarillo would be good in that brew. How did you add the hops?

I only ever brewed the Real Ale kit once and didn't particularly like it, but it was just a quick thrown together recipe without much thought just to fill some bottles really. [lol]

Hey All,

I just got back from working out of town for a week. I'm glad to see that this thread is still going strong![cool] Lots of good stuff going on here.

I'm hoping to get a brewday in before I'm gone again.[unsure]

I just found out that while I was away, my car was stolen out of the front yard![annoyed] So I might be sorting all that shite out instead.[annoyed]

Archived