Coopers Community

Brew Day!! Whatcha' got?

Canadian Eh!L

Hey guys,

yesterday was brew day, but I didn't get a chance to post while I was at it.

I started out a brew of Coopers Canadian Blonde, which I'm doing K&K by the book; other than the fact I'll be dry hopping with some Hallertau (about 20g) in a couple of days, so it's the Canadian Blonde can, 1kg BE1, and filled up to 23 litres with water.

I pitched at 22c, and it's sitting nicely at 20c at present.

As my brew space is the dining table in an open plan villa, ambient temp will vary from 18 - 22, but the brew should be pretty right, as I don't have it too close to any heat source or in direct sunlight.

I can always stick a hot water bottle next to it, or wrap it in towels if it looks like it's cooling down too much, but I don't think I'll need to.

As of this afternoon it's bubbling up nicely and the krausen is looking good.

BTW Chad, your set up looks great - very home lab; somewhere between MacGyver and Breaking Bad!

I wish I had the space co-ordination and technical know how to do something like that!

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish I had the space co-ordination and technical know how to do something like that!

Hey Ben, see if you can go along to a brew day with someone in your area who uses a setup like this. You'll be suprised how easy and not-technical it is. The space required is definitely the biggest issue.

Hey Gang,

I had a wicked brew day today. My new 3V set-up worked amazingly[biggrin] ! I brewed a APA with some Pale malt some Crystal 40L, some cascade, centenneal, perle, magnum, and citra. The Citra was leaf. I don't really like how the leaf clogs up my system so I tried something new. This time it was Mash Hopping. I threw 16g Citra whole leaf in with the grist for a 90mins mash. Don't know to what effect[unsure]. Has anyone tried this one before?

The other new trial run was a quickly designed/built (during the mash) fly sprage drip manifold. This thing works pretty darn good for the time/thought/$$ invested.

Glad it all went well and the ski pole held up [biggrin]

I tasted a home brewed pale ale last week that was mash hopped with cascade and finished off with willamette. I could pick the cascade in the beer but it seemed much more subtle or subdued.

It was a nice flavour but I prefer cascade a bit more upfront.

Hey Ben, see if you can go along to a brew day with someone in your area who uses a setup like this. You'll be suprised how easy and not-technical it is. The space required is definitely the biggest issue.

Interested enough to consider seeing it in "real life" not so interested in actually doing it. Our place is tiny, you can walk from the front to the back door in about 10 steps, and need to keep the place accessible for SWMBO who uses a wheelchair.

As interesting as I find other more advanced methods, it's going to be K&K with some hops for practical reasons for a while.

Perhaps when finances improve I may purchase some wort from the LHBS, as it's really only about $10 more than my current method, but the process brewing from grain and the like is just too logistically difficult for me, and I don't have the patience or the ability to do all the tasks required, without risk of stuffing it up.

Maybe one day if I can find a like minded local home brewer who has more space we can do it at their place, but for now, it's just a dream.

i would like to try AG one day, but like Ben, it is not something i cant seriously consider at this time. Time and space restrictions and the fact that i have to put my house on the market very soon, means that AG is on the backburner for now.

I will still churn out K & K though as the results are outstanding, thanks to the advice and encouragement from this forum. I CC'd a European lager that i dry hopped with 50gms of cascade and if last nights taster is anything to go by, i think i will have a new favourite brew.

I have been selling anything that i've not been 100% happy with to the guys at work, and one of them asked if he could buy a carton of stout, so i ratted around in the shed last night and found a secret stash of stout that i'd forgotten about. It is about 8 months old and is without doubt, the best stout i've ever tasted. All it is, is an OS Stout with a kilo of DME and 500gm of dex, so nothing really special. If only i have the patience to leave it another 8 months!!!

The other new trial run was a quickly designed/built (during the mash) fly sprage drip manifold. This thing works pretty darn good for the time/thought/$$ invested.

Good stuff Chad did the fly sparge affect your brewhouse efficiency?

finished off with willamette

How did the Willamette go Hairy? Im struggling to pair it with a beer, Ive just put about 30g Willamette and 20g Saaz (leftovers) in a Wheat style beer thats halfway through its ferment.

I've had problems with Willamette as well. Two amber ales I brewed with it came out pretty ordinary. However, I discovered recently after going back through recipes that my 196 Pale Ale contains a 20g addition at 10 minutes, and it is one of the best brews I've ever done. So now I'm not sure whether it was the Willamette in those amber ales or something else that contributed to the yucky taste. I'm still leaning towards it though because it was the predominant hop in those ambers, whereas the pale ale contained 50g of Cascade and 10g Super Galena, as well as 30g Cascade dry hop, which may well have overpowered the Willamette.

How did the Willamette go Hairy? Im struggling to pair it with a beer' date=' Ive just put about 30g Willamette and 20g Saaz (leftovers) in a Wheat style beer thats halfway through its ferment.[/quote']

I didn't stand out much. It was quite a subtle APA. I have never used it personally but from what I tasted here it was quite pleasant. I couldn't tell you the additions though.

i would like to try AG one day' date=' [/quote']

Hey Nick

That day is fast approaching for me [pinched]

I finally got my order processed at CB, after some technical internet issues. I have ordered some grain for my next two brews which will be partials:

Helles Lager using the Coopers Euro Kit, Pilsner Malt and Carpils with Helga hops.

B52 Hop Bomb(er), using Perle (Ale) Malt, Torrified Wheat, Crystal Malt, Coopers LME, bittered with Magnum and tooped off with Simcoe and Columbus.

Partial mash will take place in my newly acquired 19l Coleman Beverage Cooler, using water at a rate of 2.5l/kg of grain. I will be avoiding a mash out ion these two brews but will sparge at a rate of 2.5l water to 1 kg grain.

I am all geared up and ready to go, but due to the technical issues brew day will now be next weekend.

I didn't stand out much.

Sorry to hear that Hairy, I had the same problem but mostly when I was in Primary School [lol] .

And

I didn't stand out much.

Have you tried wearing hi-vis? [cool] [lol]

Hey, it's my job to make the smart arse comments around here. And also Muddy and Phil.

OK, you too Greg but i expected better from Scottie [crying]

You are better than us Scottie, don't become one of us. I'll admit it was amusing though [bandit]

Glad it all went well and the ski pole held up [biggrin]

I tasted a home brewed pale ale last week that was mash hopped with cascade and finished off with willamette. I could pick the cascade in the beer but it seemed much more subtle or subdued.

It was a nice flavour but I prefer cascade a bit more upfront.

Maybe mash hopping would be nice as as a compliment to other additions of the same variety?[unsure] I threw it in as a solution to the problem of the whole leaf clogging up the system. I knew it would give a more subtle profile similar to FWH which I've had some good sucess with.[cool]

Good stuff Chad did the fly sparge affect your brewhouse efficiency?

You know Graham. I forgot to check the OG[pinched] . In my experience though, with FS I get great efficiency. The last brew I put down was 80% with a FS.

This hasty build I did makes my fly sparge a little less hands on and easier to control.

I knew it would give a more subtle profile similar FWH which I've had some good sucess with.[cool]

Might try this with the new system this weekend now that 3V is happening.

Phil,

It's a piece of piss! And you might as well give it a go now that you've gone 3V.[wink]

just put odnw the house favourite, to build up stocks, [biggrin]

Great thing the other half is out, i can make a huge mess in the kitchen without issues.

I hit up the LBS about some crystal grain to steep for my next brew, i think the next APA will be my first steps into grains.

keep up the AG talks, i am learning heaps from this forum and Youtube.

Nut Brown & Stout is the order of tomorrow's Brew Day. My stocks are up on summer swillers, so it's time to use up some ingredients on hand. Plan is to go with 500g Crystal Malt in the Nut Brown & a touch of cinnamon as well, with US-05.[biggrin] In two minds about the stout, have 500g of LME that I might work into it. Not sure how it will go, thinking this.....

1.7 Coopers Stout

500g Liquid Amber Malt Extract

500g LDME

500g Dex

150g malto dex

23L

Kit yeast

Any thoughts??

I'm planning a brew day for tomorrow. Doing another of my series of Hellesraiser Lagers, but this time with a honey. I won't be using her in the brew but she should be coming around to have a couple of the first Hellesraiser batch and check out the brew day. [innocent] [lol]

Archived