Coopers Community

Pale Ale or Sparking Ale

Oldbloke

7 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I lean towards liking an ale, malty, if you like. I will need to buy a slab early next week. Which should I buy? 

neither of these beers are malty , in my opinion.

but i would say the pale is closer to malty in what your thinking possibly could be

49 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

I lean towards liking an ale, malty, if you like. I will need to buy a slab early next week. Which should I buy? 

According to my untrained palette the Red is maltier than the Green.

12 hours ago, ozdevil said:

neither of these beers are malty , in my opinion.

but i would say the pale is closer to malty in what your thinking possibly could be

If the bottles are rolled as per Coopers suggestions/instructions, it does unlock the full flavours & there is a notable malt presence IMO.

5 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

I'm personally not a fan of the pale, i enjoy the sparkling on tap when out for dinner at our local, good beer.

Agreed. I mean I don't mind Pale but Sparkling is definitely 5 notches above.

• Like 2

I like them both, it's hard to choose between them but if I had to make a lifesaving choice it would be the Sparkling Ale.

While we are all Googling everything this is the result.

Coopers Sparkling Ale

Coopers is renowned for its expertise in top fermentation and natural bottle conditioning. This process gives the iconic ‘Red Label’ Sparkling Ale a cloudy appearance and a fruity and floral aroma. Generous use of malt and hops deliver a delicious malty palate and a well-balanced after bitterness.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

Sooo, if I go to a pub, will try both if I can. Or just buy a box of the sparkling ale. 

Both ideas sound good but you'll be fine buying a carton of Sparkling, sensational beer 

• Like 1

I love them both. Sparkling was our to go beer when I arrived in Oz some 35 years ago. Pale Ale  I prefer on warm summer afternoons, it's a bit lighter and fresher. I never buy the stubbies. Maybe it is just my imagination but I find the long necks and even the cans taste so much better.

Edited by Brauhaus Fritz

21 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

If the bottles are rolled as per Coopers suggestions/instructions, it does unlock the full flavours & there is a notable malt presence IMO.

i agree  if they are rolled as the suggestions from coopers  ,  i personnelly dont get an overly malt pressence but thats me.

mind you i havent had a pale in years from coopers  

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i agree  if they are rolled as the suggestions from coopers  ,  i personnelly dont get an overly malt pressence but thats me.

mind you i havent had a pale in years from coopers  

Yep, my neighbour always drinks Pale & I am always telling him to roll it, but he usually forgets, I always do & that's the way I like it.

There is a distinct difference in the overall flavour between rolling or not.

I am not a clear beer freak so each to their own.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I love them both. Sparkling was our to go beer when I arrived in Oz some 35 years ago. Pale Ale  I prefer on warm summer afternoons, it's a bit lighter and fresher. I never buy the stubbies. Maybe it is just my imagination but I find the long necks and even the cans taste so much better.

I find the Sparkling Ale tallies to have superior flavour to the stubbies, but I struggle to understand why. I've not purchased the cans. I might have to do some "scientific" testing one weekend. 🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yep, my neighbour always drinks Pale & I am always telling him to roll it, but he usually forgets, I always do & that's the way I like it.

There is a distinct difference in the overall flavour between rolling or not.

I am not a clear beer freak so each to their own.

at a pub , you cant roll it .   use to hate it when the pubs that had pale in S.a when i lived there turned the keg up side down, to avoid the goodness of the sediment.

i used to love the remaining  liquid out of coopers pale keg.  golden grove tavern used  to make sure every friday a tap was very close to finishing  as they knew i would polish it off with that goodness.

• Like 1

Just now, ozdevil said:

at a pub , you cant roll it .   use to hate it when the pubs that had pale in S.a when i lived there turned the keg up side down, to avoid the goodness of the sediment.

i used to love the remaining  liquid out of coopers pale keg.  golden grove tavern used  to make sure every friday a tap was very close to finishing  as they knew i would polish it off with that goodness.

At my local (The Watermark) the Pale Ale out of the tap is always good as they look after their beer lines well. Some Pubs it goes very flat & insipid looking, but I get your point about the keg running low.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Instigator said:

I find the Sparkling Ale tallies to have superior flavour to the stubbies, but I struggle to understand why. I've not purchased the cans. I might have to do some "scientific" testing one weekend. 🤔

I personally would rather have the glass but if there are only cans, I can live with that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Instigator said:

I tend to believe that it has to do with the second fermentation in the bottle, the stubbie is just too small, ha ha. Even in my home brews I prefer the pint and long necks to stubbies. Or maybe it is just all in our heads. Happy investigating

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I personally would rather have the glass but if there are only cans, I can live with that.

I used to be a glass package snob. In days gone by you could taste the can in the beer. These days are a different story. The cans seem to have gotten better and don't impart flavour any more, plus there's no chance of the beer getting sun/light damaged. Unless I want to keep the bottle, I don't really discriminate anymore. The only time would be if I'm going bush - I prefer cans then as they are lighter, don't break, and easier to bring the empties home.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Instigator said:

I used to be a glass package snob. In days gone by you could taste the can in the beer. These days are a different story. The cans seem to have gotten better and don't impart flavour any more, plus there's no chance of the beer getting sun/light damaged. Unless I want to keep the bottle, I don't really discriminate anymore. The only time would be if I'm going bush - I prefer cans then as they are lighter, don't break, and easier to bring the empties home.

Yeah, I agree with all of that but really the only commercial beer I buy these days is what's on special in between HB. 

I recycle what I am left with & usually spend that at the bottle shop.

• Like 1