Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

2 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

I loved the IPA and the Holy Grail... but didn't like the flavour of the Velo.  Looking forward to trying others tonight.

I agree. Didn’t like the Velo much at all. The Yorkshire Square was decent too.

I was near Rocks Brewery today in Alexandria and called in for some takeaways.

A 500ml can of the Hangman Pale Ale (for nostalgic reasons), a four pack of Red IIPA and a bottle of the 2017 Russian Imperial Stout.

The Red IIPA is a cracking beer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Smashed Crabs said:

TBH I was kinda disappointed with ones I got from Aldi .. I might of got older stock but found them quite flavorless. Was ok but won't buy again.

I over chilled the IPA in the freezer, not to the point of slushie but over chilled just the same.  Then I poured into a pint glass.  My initial impression was a lack of flavour and aroma but as I drank down the glass and the beer came off the chill it seemed to release its aromas and flavours and by the end of the glass it was very tasty.  I enjoyed the beer revealing itself through the course of a glass like that but it made me wonder how the beer would be presented in Yorkshire - and whether I drink them too cold.  

I didn't chill the Monty Python as much but I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed it - although it was my last pint for the night and would have enjoyed just about anything.  I skeptical given the cheesy marketing but I was very pleasantly surprised.  

One thing I did enjoy was the 500ml bottle sizes.  I have never been happy with stubbies.   500ml a proper sample - and the bottles will come in handy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, James of Bayswater said:

One thing I did enjoy was the 500ml bottle sizes.  I have never been happy with stubbies.   500ml a proper sample - and the bottles will come in handy.

Agreed! I use 330ml Moo Brew bottles with one carb drop for anything I want nice and fizzy and 500ml Weihenstephan Weissbier bottles with one carb drop for more normal can levels. Both are thick and heavy, but I prefer the 500ml serving size.

Although it sort of depends which glass I'm going to be drinking them out of too. Luckily it seems the styles for which I have a smaller glass lines up with higher carb levels.

I have done a fair bit of bulk priming in the past, but stopped in the name of streamlining my process. Has been working well for me!

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

I never got to see the Black Sheep Yorkshire Square at my Aldi but I did enjoy their Ale.  My kind of beer.  

My store only has Venus & Mars, the Velo and the Christmas Ale left - I think I will pass on those but I would definitely take their IPA, Ale and Holy Grail around again.  I like what they are doing at that brewery.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Valhalla - sweet and fruity, not cloying sweet though, a little bitterness at the end to bite through. Another mouthful has passionfruit tang, good mouthfeel, very fruity.

Good beeer, would be in the NEIPA  category.

• Like 1

yes  is a double dry hopped Ipa 8.4% abv  is  actually a lot lighter but is hazy there beers are  and very hop heavy so I think they use a lot of oats to balance them  it is ultra  citrusy and pretty bitter but a smooth finish .Its like a bitter and citrus punch in the mouth but relatively smooth finish on the palate. In saying that they have a west coast a lager and a pilsner that are clear . Most of there styles aren't but amazing tastes there Raspberry Parfait was one of there best IMHO. It sold out in 2 weeks  it was a very tart hazy raspberry ale crisp and refreshing

• Like 1

Grabbed a few cans on the way home. Hawker west coast IPA. A big beer, super hoppy and bitter. Enjoyed it. Having a Hop Nation Jedi Juice now. Doesn't taste like other NEIPAs I've tried, its hazy but its bitter and hoppy. I like it, some of the others I tried were too sweet. Sorry not great at beer descriptions! 

20190201_181404.jpg