Coopers Community

The Friday Night 6 Pack Session

TonyW

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

, "That's really good, what's the recipe?".

This would likely elicit a broad smile from me and I’d tell him to check my beersmith cloud account. No secret recipes in this brewery!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joolbag said:

Not a fan of the style or just the example u bought? Thoughts on some of the more complex, long-aged sours like Flanders Reds and the like?

I've tried a handful of them & can understand why some people like them, but they're just not my thing.

Lacto in my yoghurt, no problem. Lacto in my beer, no thanks.

Cheers,

Lusty.

@Beerlust How about Brettanomyces?

My personal take on Brett beers is that I find them fascinating and enjoy drinking them.  Not too many commercial examples out there, so most of the ones I have tried are from the local homebrew club.

For now, I'm keeping Brett away from my brewing equipment.  Never say never, but not on my journey or "To do" for 2019

I'm not a fan of those beers either Lusty. 

At the end of the day we all like different things. Some of us like a wide range of beers and others don't. There's no point trying to force it if you don't like something just because others do like it, that's not enjoying beer to me, and there is nothing wrong with anyone's preferences in what they drink. 

If some people enjoy sours and whatever other funky brews, great. It doesn't mean everyone has to and it doesn't make them less of a beer drinker if they don't after trying them. It's different to making that decision without trying it.

4 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Like all lagers ha ha ha they can die a slow and painful death in my book.

Once I get this "Enterprising Lager" of mine where I want it, you'll think differently about what can be done with a lager yeast. I'm getting closer to that point with each brewing of it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

57 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Once I get this "Enterprising Lager" of mine where I want it, you'll think differently about what can be done with a lager yeast. I'm getting closer to that point with each brewing of it.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I honestly hope you do get to your grail Lusty. 

34 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I honestly hope you do get to your grail Lusty. 

Thanks mate. I'm getting close, real close lately.

I just finished 1 glass of that Cascade SFWH beer in amongst some commercial beers I really like after I got home from work tonight. It stacks up against them incredibly well to the point I prefer it over those beers. I swear you'd have a hard time picking it is an extract based beer because the balances are really good (IMHO).

Since I got home & read your post, I got thinking about this Enterprising Lager/Grail beer quest of mine. I'm seriously thinking about attempting to contact Tim Knappstein (whom I've met in person before) to speak with him about the original "Knappstein Enterprise Lager" beer recipe. I have a firm hunch he was heavily involved with the development of this beer when it was originally produced & brewed out of the old Clare Valley Knappstein winery/brewery before Lion/Nathan bought it out & diluted the beer to the point a year or so ago it was dropped from their portfolio likely due to withering sales after they @#$%ed it! 🤬

That beer was almost the single reason I got interested in craft beer. The beer as originally brewed would easily stack up against anything in the craft beer market today. An awesome beer on numerous levels!

I'll get the original recipe if it's the last thing I do.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

@Beerlust surely Tim will help ya out. Well at least I hope he will. 

I actually have vague memories of this beer. I can’t remember if it was from my time living in South Australia or back in west aust. 

Unfortunately I was probably a little young and frightened of lagers, truth be know it, I still am a little. 

Surely you’ll ave some contacts to get a hold of Tim, South Australia ain’t that big

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

...Surely you’ll ave some contacts to get a hold of Tim, South Australia ain’t that big

Yeah no probs getting hold of him, as I know where he makes his wines etc.

PorscheMad911 will like this... 

About 10 odd years ago as part of an industry only invite, I got to spend a day as part of a group with Tim Knappstein as he toured us through the winery. As part of the tour & education we got to try tank samples of a number of different wines & even some barrelled Pinot Noir clones that were destined to be carefully blended to craft Tim's Pinot Noir(s). Pinot Noir's are the winemakers wines. It's quite an art making good ones. I know of one brand that claimed to use up to 16 different clones in it's Pinot. For those that don't know what a clone is, it is simply a batch of wine that has had a specific yeast used to ferment it. With Pinot's it is common to make various clones from the same batch of grapes. Just like brewing beer with different yeast strains, each clone has difference flavours etc. due to the different yeasts used on it.

After the winery tour etc. Tim had the group back at his house with his family where we were wined & dined overlooking rolling hills of vines. Quite spectacular. It was one of the best days I've had while being in the industry.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

It was one of the best days I've had while being in the industry.

Sounds like a fantastic day Lusty. A truly special experience!

I've only visited the Clare Valley wineries once, and loved Pauletts - brilliant riesling and shiraz, well priced for the quality, plus they were selling 6 packs of the Clare Valley Brewing Co. ESB at the time which was really tasty. 

I visited Sevenhill as well which was a lovely place, but my determination to zoom over to Gibson's at the Eden Valley end of the Barossa meant I couldn't get to any other Clare wineries. That man is a genius with shiraz, and I couldn't resist grabbing a couple of bottles of his Old Vine Barossa Valley Shiraz as I think he was doing a 2 for $150 deal or something. Not a bad discount considering one bottle is usually $125. I think I still have one in the wine fridge actually.

Come to think of it, I haven't gone through the wine fridge for a while now. It's great having a terrible memory, they'll all be a nice surprise. 

I think I'm going to have to try a Tim Knapsteinn pinot noir! If you feel so inclined to try a nice pinot from Canberra way, Maipenrai from Brian Schmidt is the best, most interesting and complex I've had. Back when I had some spare cash I used to get a 3 pack of every vintage and try one straight away, give one to my Mum and cellar the other. I think I might have a couple of vintages in the wine fridge still?

Edit: I just realised you're probably talking about his winery up in the Adelaide Hills rather than the Clare Valley winery that bears his name. Doh! Unfortunately I've never visited any Adelaide Hills wineries ☹️

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 1

Sounds like you had a good time of it last time you were over Barossa way John. You certainly visited some lovely wineries. I've actually met Rob Gibson when I was arranging wine clubs for a liquor group I was working for about 6-7yrs ago. He co-hosted their wines for my wine club members. A real gentleman of a bloke with terrific knowledge. I'm quite partial to his sparkling Merlot, it's very moreish as not a lot of wineries make sparkling Merlot.

The Adelaide Hills areas have been traditionally terrific for Sauv Blanc, sparkling whites, & cool climate reds, but in recent years are branching out into some really interesting varietals. I reckon I might grab a bottle of Tim Knappstein's Pinot Noir & see if I can get hold of some Maipenrai you mentioned & do some comparing.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Something different today, passion fruit saffron farmhouse ale with Brett. 

4C7FED37-B401-4B00-A2CD-6EA3C804425D.jpeg

That looks like orange juice to me. 😜

What bird did you kill for that feather in the photo? What is that?......OMG that looks like a Kookaburra feather??!!! 😲

Expect a call from the Australian Wildlife Conservancy ya cruel b@$#@&%!

Lusty.

• Haha 1

Hi all,

Having an involuntary break from brewing for a bit so it’s back to buying commercial beers for the near future for me!

Feel like I am selling my soul paying $70 and upwards for hoppy beers that I can make just as good (bit biased maybe)!

Anyway spotted one of my favourite breweries on spesh at Dans - Ballast Point Big Eye IPA for $17 a sixer - happy days!

Got 3 of em and after a day chilling down cracked one and all I got was onion and garlic on the nose and taste !!!

Bit of reading on the net points to Colombus throwing this sometimes?

After 5-6 days on the fridge  the samboy BBQ chip aroma has subsided and now is a nice IPA.

Think the Big Eye is being discontinued by Ballast Point?

Anyone ever experience garlicky aroma / flavors with Colombus?

Will be avoiding  beers with that in future - store bought and home brewed!

Cheers

James

46 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

That looks like orange juice to me. 😜

What bird did you kill for that feather in the photo? What is that?......OMG that looks like a Kookaburra feather??!!! 😲

Expect a call from the Australian Wildlife Conservancy ya cruel b@$#@&%!

Lusty.

It was a very interesting beer indeed. Nothing like juice, ha ha ha. Certainly looked like it though. 

Well Kookaburras are not indigenous to Western Australia so I’m ok with that ha ha ha. 

Might have been a Owl of some description 

2 minutes ago, James Lao said:

...Anyone ever experience garlicky aroma / flavors with Colombus?

Will be avoiding  beers with that in future - store bought and home brewed!

It's how the hop is used in the brew James.

My first time with it I followed some online advice to do with using it as a bittering hop & used it as such with my Mosaic Amber Ale recipe as it seemed from the descriptors that it would work well. To be blunt, I hated it!

I have since used this hop numerous times but only very late in the boil, steeping, &/or dry hopping. It's been really, really good, especially when mixed in with a some other suitable hops as part of the late steeping & dry hopping.

Don't write it off, just use it the right way. It's a really good late flavour & particularly aroma hop (IMHO).

Cheers,

Lusty.

16 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

It was a very interesting beer indeed. Nothing like juice, ha ha ha. Certainly looked like it though. 

I think this is where all this sour stuff is at &/or headed. All this pretentious, high faluting, over exercised & fermented beer that basically ends up at the consistency of fresh fruit juice. What ends up costing fermented wise by the glass I could probably buy at Woolies & get 10 litres worth of something similar to drink. 😜

22 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

...Well Kookaburras are not indigenous to Western Australia so I’m ok with that ha ha ha.

That's not what the Australian Wildlife Conservancy told me when I phoned them.

23 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

...Might have been a Owl of some description 

We'll see about that. I don't think the experts on Australian native bird wildlife will fall for that BS story. It's a good thing you posted a high def picture that they can magnify for true verification. I've got a killer Photoshop type editing software program I reckon I can add some blood into the pic with as well.

The fact you have this all sitting next to a bottle labelled "Lucifer" is not gonna look good for you mate. If I was you, I'd be getting a lawyer pronto. 😜

😁

Lusty.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I think this is where all this sour stuff is at &/or headed. All this pretentious, high faluting, over exercised & fermented beer that basically ends up at the consistency of fresh fruit juice. What ends up costing fermented wise by the glass I could probably buy at Woolies & get 10 litres worth of something similar to drink

Yep, and he has the nerve to say lagers are crap. Got nothing on this nonsense that tastes nothing close to beer 😜😂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Think the feather came from one of these tawny frogmouths. Clearly had too many of lustys enterprise lagers. Either that or an ounce of meth.

91E0CA74-1777-40F3-860F-979BFFBFE097.jpeg

Crikey!! The tawny frogmouths are even more endangered than Kookaburras!

You're in some deep shite now Capt.!! 😨

• Haha 1