Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Yes definitely is. I'm probably coming across as a pedantic fussy old p#ick 🤣

Nah, it should have a tap on it to make it easier in fact I am thinking of devising a way to connect it to something with a hose/connetor so all you have to do is siphon into the fermenter, I could end up rich. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nah, it should have a tap on it to make it easier in fact I am thinking of devising a way to connect it to something with a hose/connetor so all you have to do is siphon into the fermenter, I could end up rich. 

Hmmmm I might have a think too 🤔   Lets go halves in a patent if it works 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

If I was to put down a can of cooper's draught with a kilo of dry malt extract with 100g of light crystal malt and 100g of carapilis both steeped for 30 mins

When I brought the grain liquid to a boil how much Chinook hops would I add to the boil and for how long to get a nice bitter finish without it punching you in the face and be overpowering? I was thinking maybe 15g boiled for 5 minutes 

Hi BB, I am assuming you have tried the Draught can and found it not bitter enough to your liking.  Hence why you are looking to increase its bitterness.

The can, brewed to 23 litres with 1kg of LDM, will give you around 31 IBU.  Adding 15g of Chinook in a 5 minute boil will add about 2.5 IBU's.  So not a lot really.  See the screenshot of the IanH spreadsheet showing the extra IBU.

image.thumb.png.23500a37b98cc11a5aecf0d82ec0f735.png

If I was aiming to make this brew more bitter, I would go in increments of 10 IBU.  So for the first trial, aim for around 40 IBU.  25g of Chinook boiled for 15 minutes will get you there.  See IanH screenshot below.

image.thumb.png.b0fd48ca5ac5289fc485208edbb9cdd0.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2023 at 7:23 PM, Cheap Charlie said:

Wow, that's a corageous brew! Are you expecting a sour brew? It's an interesting concept though, maybe add the juice at bottling time as a priming agent instead of sugar. I hope you post the results of this brew! 

Thanks mate.

It's been bubbling along great, and I plan to add the grapefruit juice tomorrow.
Maybe I'll consider your idea next time.

I've made two previous brews like this.
For those I timed it for grapefruits to be in season and used the real thing.
This time I'm cheating and using the juice.

Yes it will be a bit sour, but I love grapefruit. And I'm not sure any of my friends will like it.
So it'll just be a lowish alcohol fruity lager to knock back in the summer.
It doesn't clear (at first) and it's best drunk young. I did find a bottle a while after bottling last time.
Clear as, but not as tasty.

I was recently told about this. Seems to be reasonably popular in the UK.

Grapefruit Hefeweizen @ Dan Murphys

So might try it with a wheat beer next.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Graculus said:

Thanks mate.

It's been bubbling along great, and I plan to add the grapefruit juice tomorrow.
Maybe I'll consider your idea next time.

I've made two previous brews like this.
For those I timed it for grapefruits to be in season and used the real thing.
This time I'm cheating and using the juice.

Yes it will be a bit sour, but I love grapefruit. And I'm not sure any of my friends will like it.
So it'll just be a lowish alcohol fruity lager to knock back in the summer.
It doesn't clear (at first) and it's best drunk young. I did find a bottle a while after bottling last time.
Clear as, but not as tasty.

I was recently told about this. Seems to be reasonably popular in the UK.

Grapefruit Hefeweizen @ Dan Murphys

So might try it with a wheat beer next.

This sounds very interesting, I did the Pink Grapefruit IPA pouch from Mangrove Jack once, nice. Also had a Maisel Weizen with Mango once at the German Club in Tempe which was really good. I think they poured some form of mango juice into the glass and filled it with the beer, should have watched making it. Good luck with your brew

• Like 4

Yesterday I put the All Inn Brewing Consequences Pale Lager in the FV.

My assistants and I, decided to go for the cut the corner way of getting it in the FV.
Video posted for your enjoyment.

When I researched this the other week somebody said they contacted the brewery
and the brewery recommended the 34/70 yeast. I now see that's not listed on the box.
The bloke in the LHBS didn't say anything my choice of yeast,
asking if I going to brew it at a low temperature. Anyhow, I'm sure it'll be great.

Con Pale Lager.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Graculus said:

Yesterday I put the All Inn Brewing Consequences Pale Lager in the FV.

My assistants and I, decided to go for the cut the corner way of getting it in the FV.
Video posted for your enjoyment.

When I researched this the other week somebody said they contacted the brewery
and the brewery recommended the 34/70 yeast. I now see that's not listed on the box.
The bloke in the LHBS didn't say anything my choice of yeast,
asking if I going to brew it at a low temperature. Anyhow, I'm sure it'll be great.

Con Pale Lager.jpg

Nice video fella. Let us know how that particular brew goes flavor wise.

• Like 3

Given my last one turned out like a pale ale instead I’m giving the All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK a second crack. Recently watched Gash’s video on The Homebrew Network about using oat malt extract in a hazy ipa and I thought what’s good the the hazy ipa is probably good for the NEIPA 🤔

v2.0

Boil 500g of dry oat malt extract in 4L water for 15 mins

Took off the boil and steeped 40g Citra and 20g Eclipse between 85-80deg for 20 mins

Left this in the pot with the lid on to cool to room temp overnight.

Added this to a sanitized FV, added 1kg ultra light dry malt and 500g dextrose then poured the FWK in last and gave a good long stir. This gave me about 20L of wort in the FV.

Took a gravity sample, 1.090 😳 ooft, so I added another 1.5ish L of water and took another sample, 1.082 a bit better. 

Took the 2 packets of Lallemand New England yeast out of the fridge to warm up a little and acclimatize for while.

Put FV in the fermentation fridge set to 20deg, gave a final good stir with re-sanitized spoon and as the whirlpool slowed almost to a stop I sprinkled both packets of yeast on top.

When it hits high krausen I’m gonna do a first dry hop of 80g Eclipse for 3 days and then fish it out and put in second dry hop of 100g Eclipse and 100g Galaxy in on day 7.

First crack at a double dry hop, trying it because the yeast boasts about its bio transformation properties and trying on day 7 as another thing I learned on THN, apparently its the best day for dry hopping. We shall see. 

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5543.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5548.jpeg

IMG_5549.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Given my last one turned out like a pale ale instead I’m giving the All Inn Brewing NEIPA FWK a second crack. Recently watched Gash’s video on The Homebrew Network about using oat malt extract in a hazy ipa and I thought what’s good the the hazy ipa is probably good for the NEIPA 🤔

v2.0

Boil 500g of dry oat malt extract in 4L water for 15 mins

Took off the boil and steeped 40g Citra and 20g Eclipse between 85-80deg for 20 mins

Left this in the pot with the lid on to cool to room temp overnight.

Added this to a sanitized FV, added 1kg ultra light dry malt and 500g dextrose then poured the FWK in last and gave a good long stir. This gave me about 20L of wort in the FV.

Took a gravity sample, 1.090 😳 ooft, so I added another 1.5ish L of water and took another sample, 1.082 a bit better. 

Took the 2 packets of Lallemand New England yeast out of the fridge to warm up a little and acclimatize for while.

Put FV in the fermentation fridge set to 20deg, gave a final good stir with re-sanitized spoon and as the whirlpool slowed almost to a stop I sprinkled both packets of yeast on top.

When it hits high krausen I’m gonna do a first dry hop of 80g Eclipse for 3 days and then fish it out and put in second dry hop of 100g Eclipse and 100g Galaxy in on day 7.

First crack at a double dry hop, trying it because the yeast boasts about its bio transformation properties and trying on day 7 as another thing I learned on THN, apparently its the best day for dry hopping. We shall see. 

IMG_5538.jpeg

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5543.jpeg

IMG_5547.jpeg

IMG_5548.jpeg

IMG_5549.jpeg

IMG_5552.jpeg

Good luck with this one.

Is there actually any difference between a Hazy IPA and a NEIPA? According to my somewhat limited but enthusiastic research they are basically the same thing (much like Claret/Bordeaux/Cabernet Merlot).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Kegory my understanding is same as yours, I gather the BJCP does not recognize New England IPA as a specific category, and as such some breweries refuse to recognize it either, and so some call it a “Hazy IPA” instead. So yes they’re basically the same thing. As there’s no definition as to exactly what parameters it must fit in, the product of what people call hazy IPA/NEIPA can be quite broad 😅 

• Like 2

Coopers Stout

Time to get a Stout in and give it a bit of time to age, should be ready for Winter.

Coopers Stout Can

1.4k Dark Dry Malt, 200g Chocolate Malt steeped for 40 minutes, 200g Maltodextrin.

Also chucked in a 25g bar of Dark Chocolate at the end of the steep, see how that goes!

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Coopers Stout

Time to get a Stout in and give it a bit of time to age, should be ready for Winter.

Coopers Stout Can

1.4k Dark Dry Malt, 200g Chocolate Malt steeped for 40 minutes, 200g Maltodextrin.

Also chucked in a 25g bar of Dark Chocolate at the end of the steep, see how that goes!

Interesting.

I admire your forward planning. I've put my stouts on hold for a few months. I don't really have sufficient cool storage (or even luke-warm storage for that matter).

• Like 1

Another FWK. All In Brewing IPA again. It's a lovely beer so why not. Cut a corner for the pour as recommended by lovely people here. Easy peasy @NBillett09  didn't spill one drop. This is the way to go. Poured in about 10 seconds. Good oxygenation too for yeast health. Using Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast. One of my favourites.

20231117_153743.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A few days into my Blue Moon clone I am calling Scooby Broo, named after what we named the ring tail possum we met on brew day and the socks I was wearing.

Note to self (and other brewers), Lallemand Belgian Wit foams up as much as Lallemand Munich Wheat yeast.  Luckily I had a blow off tube fitted but it still made quite a mess.

IMG_4022.JPG.5512ede93b74f254bbf2b923ab9d1584.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 11/16/2023 at 4:23 PM, Kegory said:

Interesting.

I admire your forward planning. I've put my stouts on hold for a few months. I don't really have sufficient cool storage (or even luke-warm storage for that matter).

I have my beer dungeon, the Harry Potter room under the stairs, coldest place in the house. Have two potent stouts and a high ABV lager in storage there, as all my other beers. what does not fit I have to drink

IMG_8437.JPG

IMG_8436.JPG

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Brauhaus Fritz said:

I have my beer dungeon, the Harry Potter room under the stairs, coldest place in the house. Have two potent stouts and a high ABV lager in storage there, as all my other beers. what does not fit I have to drink

IMG_8437.JPG

IMG_8436.JPG

Very handy.

I picked up a little bar fridge for $50 that I'm gonna use for aging. It won't hold much, though. I'm going to stow a dozen or so of my Irish Red Ale on the top shelf and on the bottom and in the door I'll squeeze in a few of my stouts plus a few bottles of my Coopers Dark Ale and my Devil's Brew Porter just to see how they go.

I've got another Inkbird to run it. I'm hoping it can hold at around 14.5C through the hot Summer days and nights.

• Like 5

On 11/11/2023 at 3:27 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

They used to come in 15l "jerry cans" but a fella in an LHBS told me they had to change it to those bladders for sanitary and health reasons. I can't see why a bag in a cardboard box is better than a canister with a screw-top lid but hey, what do I know? 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

They used to come in 15l "jerry cans" but a fella in an LHBS told me they had to change it to those bladders for sanitary and health reasons. I can't see why a bag in a cardboard box is better than a canister with a screw-top lid but hey, what do I know? 

You would think we would know how to be sanitary by now! My thoughts are cost-cutting.

Either way it doesn't look they will ever bring back the HDPE containers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

You would think we would know how to be sanitary by now! My thoughts are cost-cutting.

Either way it doesn't look they will ever bring back the HDPE containers.

Not sure there would be all that much in the packaging. Container versus bag and box. But it would be massive savings in freight efficiency. Probably 10 boxes more per pallet.

• Like 3