Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

13 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Transferring the AG German Kolsch from cube to SS Fermenter, was unable to find any Kolsch LalBrew (Koln) Yeast at the LHBS, so have gone with K-97. 
I’ll ferment at 18 degrees, then bump up to 20, then CC. 

IMG_4694.jpeg

Looks good RD, I found a photo of the one I did back in August, it was a nice drop.

GermanKolsch.thumb.jpg.ce94a9b6a3e09379dd71240b11549824.jpg

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Red devil 44 said:

Transferring the AG German Kolsch from cube to SS Fermenter, was unable to find any Kolsch LalBrew (Koln) Yeast at the LHBS, so have gone with K-97. 
I’ll ferment at 18 degrees, then bump up to 20, then CC. 

IMG_4694.jpeg

Is that the kegland cube?

• Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 8:11 PM, Malter White said:

After a few beers on Sunday I started to harvest some lager yeast from the bottles. Put the bottle in the fermenting chamber and forgot about it until this morning. My intention was to use an extract tin of lager with it but I didn't have time to get to the shops to buy one.
The only extract I had on hand was a Coopers APA. The yeast starter was active and smelt fresh, so this evening I've added the lager yeast to an ale tin brew.
I searched the recipe spreadsheet and couldn't see any recipes that use lager yeast with APA.
Has anyone used lager yeast with APA?
Were you happy with the outcome or am I in for an unpleasant result?

I'm not good at describing flavours but it's turned out very palatable. It was a good mistake to make. 🙂 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Malter White said:

I'm not good at describing flavours but it's turned out very palatable. It was a good mistake to make. 🙂 

WOOHOO 🥳 Gotta love it when you take a punt and it turns out a winner 🥇 👏🍺🍺

So much better than drinking a couple of disappointing cold ones each night 🙄🥴☹️ - mind you, it makes your next brew taste amazing 😉😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Japanese Lager fwk just cooling the hop tea for flavour. Steeped 30 gram each of citra and cascade in 1.2 litres of water with lid on for 45 minutes. Was cooled to about 80 degrees as a guess with lid on pot.  Strained about a litre of extra hop tea to go in fermenter on day 5.

Bloody ATO the maggots got stuck on phone to them only wanted a 20 minute steep.

Probably heaps more bitter now. Still rather it go in to test effect than tip it out and waste 60 grams of good hops.

20231127_153311.jpg

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

Japanese Lager fwk just cooling the hop tea for flavour. Steeped 30 gram each of citra and cascade in 1.2 litres of water with lid on for 45 minutes. Was cooled to about 80 degrees as a guess with lid on pot.  Strained about a litre of extra hop tea to go in fermenter on day 5.

Bloody ATO the maggots got stuck on phone to them only wanted a 20 minute steep.

Probably heaps more bitter now. Still rather it go in to test effect than tip it out and waste 60 grams of good hops.

20231127_153311.jpg

Interesting hop choice for a lager.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

You should be alright because, unless the container was very well insulated, it would have dropped to a temperature where very little bitterness would have been being extracted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The new brew in the ferment fridge is banging away, airlock is getting a workout. The Verdant yeast certainly gets things moving quickly. It is hard to see through these opaque Ampi FV's but there is a nice krausen forming, giving off a nice smell too.

I feel this one will ferment fairly quickly so I will do a cold crash before I keg it.

verdant.thumb.jpg.fbdb2e1d2a008c2b672eeb9e6b9e9177.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The new brew in the ferment fridge is banging away, airlock is getting a workout. The Verdant yeast certainly gets things moving quickly. It is hard to see through these opaque Ampi FV's but there is a nice krausen forming, giving off a nice smell too.

I feel this one will ferment fairly quickly so I will do a cold crash before I keg it.

Just from experience ( If you didnt already know ) I would remove the airlock before Cold Crashing.

When the beer temp drops it tends to suck in, taking all the contents of your airlock with it.

I cover the lid with cling wrap or sanitise some foil and whack it tightly around the grommet.

Thats just whats happened to me in the past anyway.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Just from experience ( If you didnt already know ) I would remove the airlock before Cold Crashing.

When the beer temp drops it tends to suck in, taking all the contents of your airlock with it.

I cover the lid with cling wrap or sanitise some foil and whack it tightly around the grommet.

Thats just whats happened to me in the past anyway.

Cheers Paley, I was aware of that, but I appreciate your input all the same.

I haven't CC for a while but there was a large amount of crud at the bottom of the tank & hop spider & even when I took a reading some was in the hydrometer tube, but it will settle.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers Paley, I was aware of that, but I appreciate your input all the same.

I haven't CC for a while but there was a large amount of crud at the bottom of the tank & hop spider & even when I took a reading some was in the hydrometer tube, but it will settle.

I sort of knew you'd know that, but drop it out there too for anyone else wanting to Cold Crash for the first time.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You should be alright because, unless the container was very well insulated, it would have dropped to a temperature where very little bitterness would have been being extracted.

yes I hope so Shamus I did flick the stovetop on a few times for less than a minute to try and maintain temp but never boiled it. 

Smelt ok and am sure will still be nice but a bit annoying when things don't go to how you plan it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I sort of knew you'd know that, but drop it out there too for anyone else wanting to Cold Crash for the first time.

Great advise for other people and wish I knew this back when I used airlocks. 

The only few infected brews I had were from not cleaning the tap and suspect from the airlock sucking back in. I used to move fermenter around the room in and out of cool water tubs and think it sucked back in then.

• Like 2

Before I  did my first CC I did a lot of reading and found a solution which I posted on here

Before I done the CC I cracked the fermenter lid off a quarter of a turn and started cold crashing and keeping a really watchful eye on the s lock 

All the while getting down to 2c the s lock levels never changed once

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Back Brewing said:

Before I  did my first CC I did a lot of reading and found a solution which I posted on here

Before I done the CC I cracked the fermenter lid off a quarter of a turn and started cold crashing and keeping a really watchful eye on the s lock 

All the while getting down to 2c the s lock levels never changed once

I always cold crash all of my brews, before I package them into kegs. I find it provides really beautifully clean, clear beers - Mmmmm 🍺😋

Yep you’re right, the significant temperature change when cold crashing (I only go down to 3 degrees personally for 2 days) will definitely cause a vacuum to be pulled, causing a small amount of the fluid in the airlock to be inadvertently sucked into the fermenter.
Because of this, I have always filled my airlock with StellarSan Sanitiser. I have never had any erupting ferments that have caused contamination of the airlock fluid during fermentation and the airlock fluid levels are only very minimally affected during cold crashing, so I have never had any contamination issues (touch wood) with this method. 

Cheers to a summer of clear, clean, ice cold beers 👏🍺🍺🍺🍺😎

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nice one Phil @Classic Brewing Co you’ll love the freedom a dedicated ferment fridge will give you mate - Any type of beer, any time of the year - WOOHOO !! 😉

Happy brewing cobber 👏🥳🙌🍺🍺🍺🍺

7 hours ago, Triple B Brewing said:

Nice one Phil @Classic Brewing Co you’ll love the freedom a dedicated ferment fridge will give you mate - Any type of beer, any time of the year - WOOHOO !! 😉

Happy brewing cobber 👏🥳🙌🍺🍺🍺🍺

I have had many fermenting fridges over the years, in fact the current keg/tap fridge used to be one. 

• Like 1