Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter 2023?

Shamus O'Sean

Day 3 and the Party's almost over in one of the FV's

363898344_314571088117284_925077091915237101_n.jpg

Above: NEIPA FWK. Recipe - Cloud Nine hazy pale ale. Day 3 - and 2 packs of Lalbrew Verdant yeast seems to have worked a treat so far. Day 6 -7 dry hop 100g of eclipse. then CC.  - 20 litre volume, predicted ABV 5.3%

406851606_888117536370829_7326181436376656565_n.thumb.jpg.2a79ae3c3c0789e85d9268c8747c637e.jpg

Above: Lager FWK. Recipe True Blue Bitter. 2 packs of BRY-97 AWC ale yeast - Party still happening on Day 3. No dry hop additions. Volume 21 litres. Predicted ABV 4.6%

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Day 3 and the Party's almost over in one of the FV's

363898344_314571088117284_925077091915237101_n.jpg

Above: NEIPA FWK. Recipe - Cloud Nine hazy pale ale. Day 3 - and 2 packs of Lalbrew Verdant yeast seems to have worked a treat so far. Day 6 -7 dry hop 100g of eclipse. then CC.  - 20 litre volume, predicted ABV 5.3%

406851606_888117536370829_7326181436376656565_n.thumb.jpg.2a79ae3c3c0789e85d9268c8747c637e.jpg

Above: Lager FWK. Recipe True Blue Bitter. 2 packs of BRY-97 AWC ale yeast - Party still happening on Day 3. No dry hop additions. Volume 21 litres. Predicted ABV 4.6%

Tricky, the Verdant is a pretty wild beast isn't it, mine kicked in violently after about 12 hours & I had it coming out of the airlock, lucky I saw it & was able to clean & re-sanitise it with a fresh one before it had done any damage.

If you used 2 x packets you should have noticed some real action, luckily you have yours in the Coopers FV.

Cheers.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

If you used 2 x packets you should have noticed some real action, luckily you have yours in the Coopers FV.

Hopefully my Coopers Preacher Hefe wheat arrives today. I'll add a little sneaky 1.5 ltr tin of Coopers wheat malt extract with a pack of Lalbrew Munich Classic yeast. I'll think I'll stick to ONE packet for this brew as the last time I did this recipe the wort decided it wanted to leave the party. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tricky Micky said:

Hopefully my Coopers Preacher Hefe wheat arrives today. I'll add a little sneaky 1.5 ltr tin of Coopers wheat malt extract with a pack of Lalbrew Munich Classic yeast. I'll think I'll stick to ONE packet for this brew as the last time I did this recipe the wort decided it wanted to leave the party. 😂

Leave through a coopers FV or a blow off tube?

are those two tins plus a Munich yeast enough for a great Hefeweizen or would you add some hops somehow also?

Edited by NBillett09
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

are those two tins plus a Munich yeast enough for a great Hefeweizen or would you add some hops somehow also?

https://www.diybeer.com/au/thomas-coopers-preacher-s-hefe-wheat.html

Yes, and this is in my humble opinion a really nice beer. Of course you could add hops but would that be to style - not sure.

• Like 2

What's in my fermenter? Currently, a fresh batch of Märzen having the temp dropped readying it for a cold crash and an Irish Red FWK I picked up at the LHBS is cold crashing. It's ready for some ground up plastic to be added. Will keg the latter on the w/e, the other some time next week, then I can brew again. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

What's in my fermenter? Currently, a fresh batch of Märzen having the temp dropped readying it for a cold crash and an Irish Red FWK I picked up at the LHBS is cold crashing. It's ready for some ground up plastic to be added. Will keg the latter on the w/e, the other some time next week, then I can brew again. 

AK, what's your CCC routine with say an Ale? Yesterday I dropped mine from 21c to 10c & it sat overnight & today I was going to drop it to 2c & then keg on Saturday.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

AK, what's your CCC routine with say an Ale? Yesterday I dropped mine from 21c to 10c & it sat overnight & today I was going to drop it to 2c & then keg on Saturday.

With ales, I am usually ruthless and drop the temp straight down to 1 or 2C and leave it for about a week. Lagers get the special treatment, meaning temp will be dropped 3C every day until it reaches CC temps, then I'll leave it there for a week. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

Yes, and this is in my humble opinion a really nice beer. Of course you could add hops but would that be to style - not sure.

I would think a small steep would add aroma & flavour but it's not really necessary, it's great beer anyway.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

With ales, I am usually ruthless and drop the temp straight down to 1 or 2C and leave it for about a week. Lagers get the special treatment, meaning temp will be dropped 3C every day until it reaches CC temps, then I'll leave it there for a week. 

OK, thanks, I am anxious to get this into a keg so a couple of days will have to do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I would think a small steep would add aroma & flavour but it's not really necessary, it's great beer anyway.

Quite so Phil. I've done this one before a few times and I love it as is - like you say it's a great beer anyway. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:
15 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

I could add a dry hop - or as Classic has mentioned a steep of some sort. I choose not to only because I really like this recipe as it is.

But maybe I should have a crack when I next do a batch of TC Preachers Hefe.

22 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I just set it to 2c, it will take a while to come down from 10c but I want to keg on Saturday at the latest so it should at least clear it up a bit.

TC Preachers Hefe extract under way. Slight change up in the recipe.

21.5 litres Volume (instead of 23ltrs) 

Adjusted OG: 1.046

Est FG: 1.011

ABV 4.6%

Yeast pitched at 24 degrees C

Yeast: Lalbrew Munich Classic

Ferment @ ambient temp (approx 18-20 deg C. )  in an old non working kegerator.

385532797_1551314662277979_5044032421576561594_n.jpg

Edited by Tricky Micky
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Tricky Micky said:

TC Preachers Hefe extract under way. Slight change up in the recipe.

21.5 litres Volume (instead of 23ltrs) 

Adjusted OG: 1.046

Est FG: 1.011

ABV 4.6%

Yeast pitched at 24 degrees C

Yeast: Lalbrew Munich Classic

Ferment @ ambient temp (approx 18-20 deg C. )  in an old non working kegerator.

385532797_1551314662277979_5044032421576561594_n.jpg

Should have put the Krausen collar on @Tricky Micky, with Munich Classic it likes to climb out of the FV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Back to beer discussions, my CC has been a slow process, the brew started at 21c & after fermentation I brought it to 10c for 24 hours & then 2c but the coldest it has got down to is 2.5c, now 2.7c.

I suppose I could turn the fridge right down, but I don't want to risk freezing it if something went wrong. I have decided it's going in a keg tomorrow no matter what, the krausen & mess inside the FV caused by a vigorous ferment have subdued & the yeast has settled to a nice tight cake on the bottom. This was a Pale Ale with Verdant yeast.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Back to beer discussions, my CC has been a slow process, the brew started at 21c & after fermentation I brought it to 10c for 24 hours & then 2c but the coldest it has got down to is 2.5c, now 2.7c.

I suppose I could turn the fridge right down, but I don't want to risk freezing it if something went wrong. I have decided it's going in a keg tomorrow no matter what, the krausen & mess inside the FV caused by a vigorous ferment have subdued & the yeast has settled to a nice tight cake on the bottom. This was a Pale Ale with Verdant yeast.  

yes you need to turn the fridge thermostat all the way down or it still overrides the inkbird or whatever controller you use. It will be fine as long as your controller works well.

You may also need to unplug the controller for half hour or so because the controller and fridge fighting can sometimes overheat switches that tell the compressor to kick in.

Edited by Uhtred Of Beddanburg
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

yes you need to turn the fridge thermostat all the way down or it still overrides the inkbird or whatever controller you use. It will be fine as long as your controller works well.

You may also need to unplug the controller for half hour or so because the controller and fridge fighting can sometimes overheat switches that tell the compressor to kick in.

I won't be doing that as it has no chance of freezing this way. I have been caught before.

I have used a Mangrove Jack STC-1000 for over 10 years & I know it's settings.

As I have said before I am not over-fussed about CC anyway, but a little bit is better than nothing, I will be kegging in the morning.

• Like 2

On Tuesday I put The Hoff Hefeweizen in the craft FV, after I put it in the fridge to begin fermenting I forgot I plugged the fridge into the PowerPoint and not the Inkbird, so set to 20deg and then left. Came back in the morning, fridge is at 12 deg… realized and rectified my mistake, plugged into the ink bird at 20 am left the door open for an hour or two. Sure enough, 4 hours later krausen getting going 😌 couple days at that temp and it’s got a nice 30mm krausen happening. This was the one I misread the lines on the side of the FV and filled to 9.5L not 8.5L, hopefully still turns out ok.

Today I put together my All Inn Brewing Mosaic XPA FWK:

300g Carapils cold steep overnight

20 hot steep of 20g of Mosaic

topped up to 20.3L fermenting at 20 deg to start. Will bump up to 22 in a few days

1 packet verdant ipa yeast.

OG 1.046

Will dry hop with 80g of mosaic.

Looking forward to both these brews in a few weeks! 

IMG_5911.jpeg

IMG_5925.jpeg

IMG_5929.jpeg

IMG_5930.jpeg

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I just cold crash to 3.8 to 4 degrees seems to get a good result! I don’t see the point in going lower just thrashing my fridge especially in summer. I use gelatine in my clear beers at that temperature with good results!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I just cold crash to 3.8 to 4 degrees seems to get a good result! I don’t see the point in going lower just thrashing my fridge especially in summer. I use gelatine in my clear beers at that temperature with good results!

My fridge didn't get any lower than 2c & I know I could turn the fridge down to its lowest but that is asking for trouble as it would probably freeze the beer. I will be kegging this morning as 3 days is as long as I care to wait.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NBillett09 said:

On Tuesday I put The Hoff Hefeweizen in the craft FV, after I put it in the fridge to begin fermenting I forgot I plugged the fridge into the PowerPoint and not the Inkbird, so set to 20deg and then left. Came back in the morning, fridge is at 12 deg… realized and rectified my mistake, plugged into the ink bird at 20 am left the door open for an hour or two. Sure enough, 4 hours later krausen getting going 😌 couple days at that temp and it’s got a nice 30mm krausen happening. This was the one I misread the lines on the side of the FV and filled to 9.5L not 8.5L, hopefully still turns out ok.

Today I put together my All Inn Brewing Mosaic XPA FWK:

300g Carapils cold steep overnight

20 hot steep of 20g of Mosaic

topped up to 20.3L fermenting at 20 deg to start. Will bump up to 22 in a few days

1 packet verdant ipa yeast.

OG 1.046

Will dry hop with 80g of mosaic.

Looking forward to both these brews in a few weeks! 

IMG_5911.jpeg

IMG_5925.jpeg

IMG_5929.jpeg

IMG_5930.jpeg

The Mosaic hopped XPA is quite a nice beer 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1