Coopers Community

HOME BREW SUPPLIES IN YOUR AREA

How many of you that buy Coopers & other brands of Home Brew Supplies have a fully stocked Big W/Woolworths/Drakes etc in your area.

I know some of you live in remote areas & of course there is an endless list of suppliers online but sometimes it's nice just to duck out & get something when you want it without a wait or shipping charges.

I have 6-7 LHBS in my area but this morning I visited the Big W on Cross Road ( Cumberland Park ) for a few things & they seem to be increasing their stocks. I have been going there for years but it is a good thing to see, I am thinking given the economic climate & rising prices are driving people to save money any way they can. 

The other good thing is they have a lot of specials & you can always be assured of fresh stock.

20220612_115012.jpg

20220612_115027.jpg

20220612_115032.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Do you mean near the old Brickworks Market ? If it's on Ashwin Parade, it's Torrensville. I do go there but not so much nowadays.

Yes that one, Torrensville.

It's not far out of the way from West Beach to Bridgewater on our Friday runs to visit grandkids and Mum.

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Yes that one, Torrensville.

It's not far out of the way from West Beach to Bridgewater on our Friday runs to visit grandkids and Mum.

The only problem with them is their prices - they do not sell any Coopers products, all of their own & of course Mangrove Jacks etc, don't get me wrong they have some great products I have bought heaps of stuff from there, even from their 2 other stores  but when I got a quote for a few AG recipes it was way too much. I can buy 100gm of hops for the same price they sell 15-25gms.

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

The only problem with them is their prices - they do not sell any Coopers products, all of their own & of course Mangrove Jacks etc, don't get me wrong they have some great products I have bought heaps of stuff from there, even from their 2 other stores  but when I got a quote for a few AG recipes it was way too much. I can buy 100gm of hops for the same price they sell 15-25gms.

I live nearby and yes unfortunately they’re quite expensive.

I’ll go there in a pinch (i.e. they’re open on a Monday) but much prefer Beerbelly in Pooraka even with the drive.

23 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Eastern suburbs in Melbourne (Australia) I've used SSZ Brewing (Formerly triple J brewing), Grain and Grape, and Kegland. Mostly online purchases.

I love Grain & Grape, I bought my kettle from there and their service and knowledge is next level.

I bought plenty from Kegland when setting up my kegerator and they’re fantastic too. If I need something from them I’ll usually buy yeast and other bits to pad out the order and soften the shipping cost.

1 minute ago, Dustin Frothman said:

I live nearby and yes unfortunately they’re quite expensive.

I’ll go there in a pinch (i.e. they’re open on a Monday) but much prefer Beerbelly in Pooraka even with the drive.

Yeah I won't mention names on here but it's not really a friendly place, I would rather go to Holden Hill & say G'day to Bill as he is a Coopers ambassador & a really nice bloke.

He has been in business for 32 years. As you say BB are great & also very competitive, I can get any item no matter how big or small delivered for $6.50, sometimes same day or next.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

How many of you that buy Coopers & other brands of Home Brew Supplies have a fully stocked Big W/Woolworths/Drakes etc in your area.

I know some of you live in remote areas & of course there is an endless list of suppliers online but sometimes it's nice just to duck out & get something when you want it without a wait or shipping charges.

I have 6-7 LHBS in my area but this morning I visited the Big W on Cross Road ( Cumberland Park ) for a few things & they seem to be increasing their stocks. I have been going there for years but it is a good thing to see, I am thinking given the economic climate & rising prices are driving people to save money any way they can. 

The other good thing is they have a lot of specials & you can always be assured of fresh stock.

20220612_115012.jpg

20220612_115027.jpg

20220612_115032.jpg

Ain't never seen a  Big W stocked that well. 

In the West of Sydney as the name says and I have a country brewer about 2km away. It's a bit pricey for hops but is ok for full bags of grains. I have been buying speciality malts pre weighed from hop and grain which is at marrickville and now moorebank as well. I like that as it stops me having leftover grain hanging around. I buy for 3 or 4 batches at a time. I usually buy hops there as well unless I want a lot of one type of hop then I will buy online.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Greenyinthewestofsydney said:

Ain't never seen a  Big W stocked that well. 

In the West of Sydney as the name says and I have a country brewer about 2km away. It's a bit pricey for hops but is ok for full bags of grains. I have been buying speciality malts pre weighed from hop and grain which is at marrickville and now moorebank as well. I like that as it stops me having leftover grain hanging around. I buy for 3 or 4 batches at a time. I usually buy hops there as well unless I want a lot of one type of hop then I will buy online.

The only thing is they only sell Galaxy which is nice but there are plenty of LHBS for Hops. I am not using extract anywhere near as much now but it is handy for bit's & pieces.

I'm near Dubbo in Central West NSW, which has a population of 38,000. Unfortunately there is no home brew shop. Big W and Dan Murphy's have a very limited range of Coopers equipment and ingredients. I recently ordered a few tins of brew extract and brew enhancer from Coopers. With the Coopers Community discount and the flat rate $15 delivery that wasn't too bad.  I suppose when I get adventurous and want to add some extra ingredients, I'll have to mail order too.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I'm near Dubbo in Central West NSW, which has a population of 38,000. Unfortunately there is no home brew shop. Big W and Dan Murphy's have a very limited range of Coopers equipment and ingredients. I recently ordered a few tins of brew extract and brew enhancer from Coopers. With the Coopers Community discount and the flat rate $15 delivery that wasn't too bad.  I suppose when I get adventurous and want to add some extra ingredients, I'll have to mail order too.

I have travelled all through your area over the years & I was amazed at the lack of LHBS. I don't remember seeing any in the Riverina all the way to Bourke although I wasn't actually looking for them. There are quite a few good reliable online stores stocking everything you would need & most of them are reasonable with shipping charges.

I would stick to the bigger ones & go online & compare their prices & shipping costs.

Good Luck.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jennyss said:

Hi Jenny,

If you get the Coopers email about the Recipe Of The Month (ROTM), you might see that, for about 5 days, they have free postage for orders over $80 or $100 (it varies from month to months for some reason).  The ROTM are already free postage.  However, if you order the ROTM, it is included in the value of the order.  So if you order a $55 ROTM, you only have to order $45 of extra stuff to get free delivery for your whole order.  You can, of course, order the whole $80 or $100 of whatever you want.  The one constraint is that you can only order 6 cans of concentrate.  But the cans in the ROTM, if it is part of your order, do not count in the six.

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Jenny,

If you get the Coopers email about the Recipe Of The Month (ROTM), you might see that, for about 5 days, they have free postage for orders over $80 or $100 (it varies from month to months for some reason).  The ROTM are already free postage.  However, if you order the ROTM, it is included in the value of the order.  So if you order a $55 ROTM, you only have to order $45 of extra stuff to get free delivery for your whole order.  You can, of course, order the whole $80 or $100 of whatever you want.  The one constraint is that you can only order 6 cans of concentrate.  But the cans in the ROTM, if it is part of your order, do not count in the six.

Interesting @Shamus O'Sean I did not realise that the ROTM cans do not count towards the 6 can limit, handy to know.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, Dustin Frothman said:

but much prefer Beerbelly in Pooraka even with the drive.

Thanks guys, I never noticed the extra price (in Torrensville).

I pick up a bit online from Coopers and others but have worked out a way to visit the Beerbelly (with out driving to far out of the way) in a week or so to stock up in bulk.

Love the help, Thanks

• Like 2

I have 2 LHBS up my end of town, one just mainly deals in K&K gear, not much AG gear, and what gear they have is super expensive.

‘The other one is a lot bigger and has more variety and runs brewing classes (as yet I haven’t attended one but I will), they cater more for the AG brewer, so since I turned to AG I get my chosen brew from Brewfather, email it through an hour ahead, then go pick it up. 
When I did kits it was always BigW, Tuesday always seemed a good day as they reduced the cans a few bucks. 
I do buy on-line at Kegland for parts and occasional ready made AG kits.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 5:22 PM, DavidM said:

Thanks guys, I never noticed the extra price (in Torrensville).

I pick up a bit online from Coopers and others but have worked out a way to visit the Beerbelly (with out driving to far out of the way) in a week or so to stock up in bulk.

Love the help, Thanks

David, just a "heads up", if you're including a visit to Beerbelly they are not open on Sundays or Mondays. 

16 minutes ago, GregT5 said:

David, just a "heads up", if you're including a visit to Beerbelly they are not open on Sundays or Mondays. 

Thanks,

Coming from Goolwa, I always check opening times.

It will be Friday.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...