Coopers Community

Anton Paar Easydens

ozdevil

Hey All

Anyone had the pleasure of using one of these

EasyDensbyAntonPaar_600x.jpg?v=161697662

apperently what you do is draw a small sample into a syringe   into this device and then through there app it will give you the S.g and f.g readings

its not cheap t $630a  but you wont be  using  much wort  to take your hydrometer readings

i'm looking into this after  buy  the bz35l gen4  the reason is my eyes are not as sharpe as they once was 
and trying to read the refractometer or a hydrometer in wort is getting harder

seeing the readings on a screen  where you can zoom in and out to my liking has its advantages  

whats your thoughts

15 minutes ago, interceptor said:

looks like it will do the job. Probably good if you want to keep a good record of things.

I don't bother with readings anymore, have not for sometime.

Guess that saved me $630?

it is a lot of money  for what it does really

i am considering it   , but  there is other things as important if not more important at this stage

after all i get ok readings from my pills

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ozdevil said:

whats your thoughts

I saw a review of it on David Heath Homebrew YouTube channel.  He said it was good, but pricey.

I see Gash, at The Home Brew Network YouTube Channel, uses a Digital Refractometer - https://amzn.to/2Rx9a8f that he uses.  Still expensive at half the price of the EasyDens.

Do either of them work for reading FG?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I saw a review of it on David Heath Homebrew YouTube channel.  He said it was good, but pricey.

I see Gash, at The Home Brew Network YouTube Channel, uses a Digital Refractometer - https://amzn.to/2Rx9a8f that he uses.  Still expensive at half the price of the EasyDens.

Do either of them work for reading FG?

i  know gash has a easyden as well  but i didnt really want to bug him much    as well as a digital refractometer  

i know gash on his last brew day. it was funny to watch him   as forgot to add the mash tun in his gf40   and had to fly sparge.

but at the end of the brew he used the easyden and looked at his numbers on brewfather and the  easyden matched up with his brewfather numbers at fg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MitchBastard said:

We use one at work. Does the trick on brew day and through the entire ferment. Is it worth the money on a home brew scale? Probably not. 

i am very well leaning on a home brew level the price  doesnt justify the cost  as you will be wanting to make alot of batches for the cost

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

$630!  😲   

That's about 25 brews worth of ingredients for me.   Given I rarely bother with SG readings these days I think I'll pass.  

i was only thinking of my eyesight

i have 3 rapt pills and a tilt hydrometer that all work fine and 3 rapt pills interact with my rapt temp controller as well

in which i think i need more convincing  considering  i am nearly going to spend 2 grand with in a week and half

• Like 2

@ozdevil, the gadgets are nice to have.  Goodness knows that I have bought a few and some of them I have never used.  Kegland has some good marketing tactics. 

But one of the questions I ask myself is:  Will it make my beer (or my process) $630 better.  That's how I eventually convinced myself to buy the Grainfather.  Worth every cent now.  I do not have the space for it yet, but I will use the same theory to justify the Gen 4 Brewzilla 65L.  Thank you to Grainfather for teaching me to brew, but I cannot justify the price for the bigger GF units.  The Gen 4 BZ will make me beer just as good as any GF.

Between a $25-30 refractometer, several hydrometers and a couple of iSpindels, I think I get my SG readings close enough.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 5:45 PM, ozdevil said:

but at the end of the brew he used the easyden and looked at his numbers on brewfather and the  easyden matched up with his brewfather numbers at fg

Influencer frog sheet or what?  Remember he gets given these gizmos for free so he (and others) have to plug the sheet out of them so mugs will buy them.  Simples!

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i was only thinking of my eyesight

Like I have mentioned many times before, if you cannot see your hydrometer reading/markings just take a clear pic of the reading with your phone and zoom in on that - simples!

9 hours ago, BlackSands said:

$630!  😲   

That's about 25 brews worth of ingredients for me.   Given I rarely bother with SG readings these days I think I'll pass.  

Agree with @BlackSands , that is roughly 10 x 25 kg bags of grain or 50 kegs of beer in Fred Flintstones language so once again I reckon ya got rocks in ya head!

A classic (no pun intended) case of not seeing the beach for the rocks IMO.

Edited by iBooz2

5 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@ozdevil , ya got rocks in ya head!

i do think it  is well over priced for what it is  to be honest and i cant justify this  even though i love  gadgets that may help 

630 bucks is huge price tag  for homebrewer

• Like 2

5 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Influencer frog sheet or what?  Remember he gets given these gizmos for free so he (and others) have to plug the sheet out of them so mugs will buy them.  Simples!

yes i get that as well.   while it is great to see  youtubers  getting gizmoos for free, but i dont make choices through there eyes only

my pocket at the end of the day dictates what i am wanting to outlay

i am fortunate i dont have kids to support  , so i am probably in better  position then most  to buy gadgets.

however this gadget is staying at the homebrew shop  for me  

yes my eyes are not great anymore but i can still pick a reading on a hydrometer and then match that to my pill hydrometers during ferment anyway

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

i am fortunate i dont have kids to support  , so i am probably in better  position then most  to buy gadgets.

For what it's worth I don't have rug rats either 😬 not now anyway, but I would rather spend that money on something you are going to use that is involved directly with brewing or fridge etc although numbers are very important & @Shamus O'Sean points out they are just gadgets & play a minimal role & won't improve your beer making.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, iBooz2 said:

Like I have mentioned many times before, if you cannot see your hydrometer reading/markings just take a clear pic of the reading with your phone and zoom in on that - simples!

Thank you, that is a great tip! Like @ozdevil my eyesight is not what it once was and this method is very simple to see a very accurate view of the SG reading on the hydrometer. I guess it would also help if I had a clearer test tube to view the hydrometer through, perhaps I should invest in a glass test tube rather than the plazzi Cooper's model.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 10:57 PM, iBooz2 said:

On 3/23/2022 at 8:16 PM, kmar92 said:

Thank you, that is a great tip! Like @ozdevil my eyesight is not what it once was and this method is very simple to see a very accurate view of the SG reading on the hydrometer. I guess it would also help if I had a clearer test tube to view the hydrometer through, perhaps I should invest in a glass test tube rather than the plazzi Cooper's model.

@kmar92 , yes my tip re pic on phone then zoom in is a good hack for these types of things. 

I do not need glasses but my wife does, as in one pair for the TV and another pair for reading.  She was always leaving her reading glasses at home when we went out to a restaurant etc. so I taught her to take a pic of the wine list and menu on her phone so she could decided what she wanted without her hogging the menus / lists trying to read them.   She finds it much easier and not so embarrassing because she does not now have to ask someone else to tell her what this is or what price is that.

Edited by iBooz2

On 3/23/2022 at 10:16 AM, kmar92 said:

I should invest in a glass test tube rather than the plazzi Cooper's model.

I just got myself one of those after seeing someone on the forum using one. Great stuff. I also have a refractor reader but I am not sure how accurate those things are. I can take a reading, then another one straight after and it is different to the first 🤨

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

I just got myself one of those after seeing someone on the forum using one. Great stuff. I also have a refractor reader but I am not sure how accurate those things are. I can take a reading, then another one straight after and it is different to the first 🤨

the refractometer  are no good for final gravity  i was told why but can't recall what was said in the convo i had with a brewer.     however right up to the starting gravity they are  pretty accurate    as long as they are calibrated

• Thanks 1