Coopers Community

argument settler.....dextrose v sugar

worry wort

A simple answer they both do slightly different things and as a brewer it depends what you want. Been a while since used mainly only these in a brew but going by memory.  Just sugar will give a slightly more cidery thin taste. Dextrose less but pretty much same thing in the end. But then prime a bottle with dextrose and you will have to use slightly more than sugar. It also makes the beer have a bigger head but the taste is different.

Really dont waste your time just use Dry or liquid malt then maybe a tiny bit of these.

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 2

The chemical structure.   Put simply sugars are defined by their structural arrangement.  The sugar molecule is made from the general formula C6 H12 O6  which is 6 carbons,  12 hydrogens and 6 oxygens and are know as saccharides However, those chemicals or saccharides can be arranged in different shapes and can form mono or poly saccharides.  Mono saccharide is just one repeating molecule of the same shape the other polysaccharide are repeating molecules of different shapes.  White sugar is glucose and fructose combined and is a polysaccharide and dextrose is just a monosaccharide of the dextrose molecule.    Now glucose, fructose and dextrose all have 6 carbons,  12 hydrogens and 6 oxygens  but have different shapes.  

I have tried to make it simple but the reality is organic chemistry can be very confusing. 

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

The chemical structure.   Put simply sugars are defined by their structural arrangement.  The sugar molecule is made from the general formula C6 H12 O6  which is 6 carbons,  12 hydrogens and 6 oxygens and are know as saccharides However, those chemicals or saccharides can be arranged in different shapes and can form mono or poly saccharides.  Mono saccharide is just one repeating molecule of the same shape the other polysaccharide are repeating molecules of different shapes.  White sugar is glucose and fructose combined and is a polysaccharide and dextrose is just a monosaccharide of the dextrose molecule.    Now glucose, fructose and dextrose all have 6 carbons,  12 hydrogens and 6 oxygens  but have different shapes.  

I have tried to make it simple but the reality is organic chemistry can be very confusing. 

Well put Marty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

Oh well! Look at that, surprise surprise...

Somebody always has to answer a question with some cold, hard science

There's always one

😉😉😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Marty_G said:

What he said ☝️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Cee said:

Oh well! Look at that, surprise surprise...

Somebody has to answer with some cold, hard science

There's one

😉😉😉

Yeah.  There's always someone ready to kill a discussion with *facts*.

😀

If I may give a practical difference between sugar and dextrose when priming...  One is readily available in "drop" form  for £1.95 for a bag of 80 that are easy to put into a bottle one handed.  The other is a funny granulated thing that you have to shovel into a bottle with a small measuring scoop.  Multiply each task by 40 and decide which one you can be fussed to do.

Edited by Space
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I think the gentleman has a background in Chemistry/Science.  🧑‍🔬

Yes, I do. Undergraduate and post graduate degrees in Environmental Science majoring in Ecosystems and Microbial Ecology.   Microbial Ecology is basically cell metabolism at the microbial level.  You know yeast, bacteria and that sort of shite.   At different stages of my life I have worked for a couple of Government organisations like the DPI and the CSIRO and two universities  as researcher and a lecturer.  Mind you have also been a barman, a club manager, a postman, a businessman,  a bottle shop attendant, Maths and Biology  Teacher, a toolmaker/fitter and turner and a bankrupt.  Diversity is the spice of life.  Oh and married 3 times.  Also sometimes I over share. 

Edited by Marty_G
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

The OP asked the question: What are the differences between white sugar and dextrose?

The main difference is just a single water molecule, H2O, and a molecule of another sugar called fructose.

(Dextrose is really just another name for glucose. And fructose is a sugar found in fruit, honey and root vegies. White sugar is the common name for sucrose and in Australia it is derived from sugar cane. Note that you can tell if a chemical is a sugar because its name ends with the letters ose)

To make a molecule of sucrose (white sugar) you simply join a molecule of glucose (dextrose) to a molecule of fructose by using a single water molecule (H2O) as the glue. Break the sucrose molecule apart and it will revert to a glucose molecule, a fructose molecule, and a free water molecule is released.

This joining and breaking apart of molecules is readily done by a class of chemicals known as enzymes, eg. amylase (enzymes can be identified by the letters ase at the end of their names). The thing about enzymes is that while they join or deconstruct other molecules into different substances, they themselves remain unchanged in the process. So they are free to act again and again.

The diagram below might help further understanding, but don’t get hung up on chemical diagrams or terminology that you don’t know. Because you don’t have to know it to understand what happens. image.png.2cd56ae80b3c8243b24ae0da9a88f04f.png

Edited by SRN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marty_G said:

Yes, I do. Undergraduate and post graduate degrees in Environmental Science majoring in Ecosystems and Microbial Ecology.   Microbial Ecology is basically cell metabolism at the microbial level.  You know yeast, bacteria and that sort of shite.   At different stages of my life I have worked for a couple of Government organisations like the DPI and the CSIRO and two universities  as researcher and a lecturer.  Mind you have also been a barman, a club manager, a postman, a businessman,  a bottle shop attendant, Maths and Biology  Teacher, a toolmaker/fitter and turner and a bankrupt.  Diversity is the spice of life.  Oh and married 3 times.  Also sometimes I over share. 

Looks like you have tried everything once @Marty_G except for the one thing you should have tried only once 🤣

Just kidding mate. Hope you found the right one eventually.

• Haha 2

On 1/13/2022 at 10:47 AM, Marty_G said:

🤣🤣🤣

good on yer mate ! Nothing wrong with a bit of over sharing...

• Haha 1