Coopers Community

Questionable health advice

Malter White

In the 3+ years I've visited this forum a number of other contributors have come and gone due to health concerns and their need to reduce alcohol consumption. You shouldn't ignore your health. It is the basis of a happy existence.
It is with this in mind, Dr. Muzzy (I'm not a health professional by the way) offers his questionable health advice: Brew LAGERS and reduce your added fermentables.
I currently have a lager fermenting. The absolute bare minimum I will ferment it will be 2 weeks. Then add another month minimum in the bottle. We're talking 6 weeks plus from FV to taste buds. If this timeframe doesn't reduce your alcohol consumption I'd be surprised.
I haven't often brewed lagers and while I'm impatiently waiting for this one I now remember why.

*Footnote: This commentary is tongue in cheek with a slight element of truth. Consume responsibly. Cheers.

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

It is with this in mind, Dr. Muzzy (I'm not a health professional by the way) offers his questionable health advice: Brew LAGERS and reduce your added fermentables.
I currently have a lager fermenting. The absolute bare minimum I will ferment it will be 2 weeks. Then add another month minimum in the bottle. We're talking 6 weeks plus from FV to taste buds. If this timeframe doesn't reduce your alcohol consumption I'd be surprised.
I haven't often brewed lagers and while I'm impatiently waiting for this one I now remember why.

1. Pressure ferment and transfer under pressure to kegs, not bottles. Problem solved and hardly any patience needed. 😄

2. A 6 week 'incubation' period is easily overcome if one has the room - a brew per week and in 6 weeks you start on the 1st with new beers available each week after that.  And once the 1st brew is drinking-age, cut back to a brew per fortnight because you should have reasonable stocks by then.

3. Reduce fermentables? Better to increase them and use dry enzyme - you will drink less beer and still get a buzz. And more of the sugars and carbs will be gone, so it's better for you. 😄

** Also not a doctor... 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Got a point both of you fellas. I just tidied up the brewery and discovered loads more stock. Better slow down the beer factory or SWMBO will have a fit (and my liver will pack up on me)

Otherwise get myself down the army surplace store for some camo netting…

2EC15E40-B1E6-4A68-BF4A-1534803DBF3A.thumb.jpeg.f34b90c1b9ea3f0779337767dbb71b4f.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Got a point both of you fellas. I just tidied up the brewery and discovered loads more stock. Better slow down the beer factory or SWMBO will have a fit (and my liver will pack up on me)

2EC15E40-B1E6-4A68-BF4A-1534803DBF3A.thumb.jpeg.f34b90c1b9ea3f0779337767dbb71b4f.jpeg

That lot should see you right for the week, Dave. 😉 
Is that limoncello you've made also? Piace!

• Like 2

Mu second attempt at it Muzzy, this time round quite drinkable. The first lot I had to chuck 🤮

I found a bottle of 95% alcohol in Italy and soaked the zest of 12 unwaxed lemons for a cuppla months. Then made a syrup of 800g sugar in 1.2 litres of water. It turned nice and cloudy. Next time I’d probably put a bit less sugar in: it’s a bit sweet. The main thing seems to be to not get any of the white skin in with the zest - it makes it bitter as hell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Decent stockpile @stquinto  I would have as many stacked in boxes & I have 2 x brews to bottle today. 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, stquinto said:

Wow. I once had stock like that. Took me 4 weeks to get through 🙂 

No, seriously, this is impressive. But yes, maybe you should hold off brewing for a week or two.  Then again, get kegs and it will all look a lot less and keep SWMBO a little more happy 🙂 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Nice one @stquinto  very sneaky indeed. 😄

I have yet to finish my setup mate, for the time being I only have a tap directly on the keg. Not overly impressed with that so far, I think there's something to be said about the length of beer lines as recommended by experienced keggers @ozdevil, @Shamus O'Sean @Itinerant Peasant @iBooz2 and others on the forum .

I am liking not sterilising all of the bottles, even if they look like infantry squares getting ready for the Battle of Waterloo 😂

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 6:42 AM, stquinto said:

Where did you get the different colour caps from mate?

On 10/3/2021 at 11:29 AM, Aussiekraut said:

Then again, get kegs and it will all look a lot less and keep SWMBO a little more happy 🙂 

And, big plus as far as SWMBO goes, no bottles for her to count. 😄

Can be a bit of a negative because there's also no bottles for YOU to count & it's not hard to lose track of how many you've had. 😄

Edited by Journeyman
smelling pistake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Hoppy81 said:

i've been struggling to find them

most home brew stores I've come across in sydney have them in at least a few colours, but in different quantities and prices. Haven't gone down this route myself yet as I'm still a noob, but we built a wine rack into a cupboard we have here, so we ended up getting a bunch of little coloured dot stickers to put on the lids of the wine to tell what the style is without taking it out of the wine rack. Ended up pinching some of these for my beers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2021 at 7:12 AM, stquinto said:

Strewth

Camo netting alone may not cut it

Better grab yourself a ghillie suit too

• Like 1
  • Haha 1