Coopers Community

Recipe of the month/free shipping, where are youuuu?

Malter White

23 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

That would be a bummer, sometimes you have to grab something you want when you can otherwise you miss out.

I have always wondered about secondhand kegs, I have seen them on Gumtree & the odd sale but can't help thinking what if they weren't looked after properly, are they hard to clean or can they get damaged ?

I got 10 secondhand kegs from one old brewer ages ago.  The kegs were all fine except for one that has some of the rubber base broken off.  This makes it less stable.  I had to replace a post that had a nasty gouge in it.  

Kegs are pretty bullet-proof.  You can replace all the seals pretty cheaply.  Even the parts (liquid and gas posts, dip tubes, poppet valves) are not too expensive.  Probably the worst thing that could happen with a corny keg is to cross thread the male thread when screwing on a liquid or gas post.

9 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got 10 secondhand kegs from one old brewer ages ago.  The kegs were all fine except for one that has some of the rubber base broken off.  This makes it less stable.  I had to replace a post that had a nasty gouge in it.  

Kegs are pretty bullet-proof.  You can replace all the seals pretty cheaply.  Even the parts (liquid and gas posts, dip tubes, poppet valves) are not too expensive.  Probably the worst thing that could happen with a corny keg is to cross thread the male thread when screwing on a liquid or gas post.

Fair enough my nephew works in a Winery & has a massive line-up of kegs but he has done it all on the cheap & looks fairly primitive, I realise if it works it's OK but I tend to like a fancier set-up with bells & whistles, but then you have to start somewhere.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2021 at 9:09 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have 4 second hand kegs - two are amazing, one is a little battered but works - yet never cleaned properly. However the last one has a leak in one of the posts that I can't fix no matter what I do. The keg is old, and as such has the older style posts - I have replaced all the seals, taken apart (where I can) the post and cleaned it out. Nothing so far has worked. Its frustrating!

Its getting to the point where I would be happy to pay the asking price for a couple more kegs. Hope I don't outbid you @Shamus O'Sean

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Yuley said:

I have 4 second hand kegs - two are amazing, one is a little battered but works - yet never cleaned properly. However the last one has a leak in one of the posts that I can't fix no matter what I do. The keg is old, and as such has the older style posts - I have replaced all the seals, taken apart (where I can) the post and cleaned it out. Nothing so far has worked. Its frustrating!

Its getting to the point where I would be happy to pay the asking price for a couple more kegs. Hope I don't outbid you @Shamus O'Sean

After my bottling session this afternoon with my wand clogging up with hops I chucked in, Kegging is looking very attractive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got the Australian IPA and ordered the Voyager American Pale Ale advanced pack too.  Between the two it took my order over $80, so I get the Voyager pack delivered for free.

Yep, I could probably shop around for the individual bits and pieces and pick them up in person and save a few bucks, but I like the convenience of these packs coming straight to my door.  It's like Christmas.

I just missed out on some secondhand kegs because I wanted to haggle to get $40 off.  Somebody else popped up and offered to pay the asking price.  I lost, for the sake of a few dollars.  Life's too short.

Great post.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 4:54 PM, CLASSIC said:

After my bottling session this afternoon with my wand clogging up with hops I chucked in, Kegging is looking very attractive.

I've never looked back since I kegged @CLASSIC   Also I don't know if it's just me but my beers seem to taste smoother and you have that pub pour. But each to their own.

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I've never looked back since I kegged @CLASSIC   Also I don't know if it's just me but my beers seem to taste smoother and you have that pub pour. But each to their own.

Well to me the ultimate would be a 3 Font Kegerator, 2nd choice would be to convert my trusty old brew fridge but as it is outside in another room it would mean going outside to pour a drink.

For the moment I will have to press on but who knows down the track something might turn up. I can tell by the photos posted  by you keg guys the difference in the pour.

Cheers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Well to me the ultimate would be a 3 Font Kegerator, 2nd choice would be to convert my trusty old brew fridge but as it is outside in another room it would mean going outside to pour a drink.

For the moment I will have to press on but who knows down the track something might turn up. I can tell by the photos posted  by you keg guys the difference in the pour.

Cheers.

When you finally go to kegging it will not mean you have to drop the bottling  , as you can still can go from keg to bottle  which will leave alot of sediment out of the stubby/longneck

now if you was to purchase a kegerator  i assume this will be indoors where as your brewer fridge now is outdoors ..  why couldnt you just bring that brew fridge
indoors ..   as you still have to find a space indoors for the kegerater?    this could be a temperary solution till you save your brass for a 3 font kegerator..

in the end once the kegerater turns up  you simply take the brew fridge back outside and you can still  have beer on tap outside specially on a Adelaide summer evening when you want to sit outside  and you dont have to trounce inside for  classic ultimate delicious brew

just a thought 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2021 at 10:17 AM, Pale Man said:

Hey @Pale Man  I just priced a 3 Font Keg Land Kegerator with all of the internals & 2 x 19 litre kegs, Gas Bottle ( 2.6kg or 6kg avail ) about $1,000, probably not bad.

There is a brand new LHBS opened in the Adelaide Hills just up the Freeway from me so I might have to start planning for my Xmas present. 🎄

Cheers

18 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @Pale Man  I just priced a 3 Font Keg Land Kegerator with all of the internals & 2 x 19 litre kegs, Gas Bottle ( 2.6kg or 6kg avail ) about $1,000, probably not bad.

There is a brand new LHBS opened in the Adelaide Hills just up the Freeway from me so I might have to start planning for my Xmas present. 🎄

For $1000 I got my 4-tap fridge, all the fixings (incl. gas bottle, Harris reg etc.) and 7 x 2nd hand kegs plus a ferment fridge. Actual work time to make the fridge was about 2 hours and a good part of that was making triple sure I wasn't going to drill through a pipe in the fridge. I had to do a bit of shopping around - got some from CPB, some from BB and some from KL, but that was just sit in the chair and browse the sites.

CPB also do kits for fridge or freezer conversion - it gave me a good idea as to what I needed but I changed up some parts due to advice on here. e.g. Harris reg instead of the cheaper one, CMB disconnects instead of the cheaper ones, that kind of thing.

As a bonus, there is an immense level of satisfaction in putting it all together and later pouring your first beer, almost perfect, and knowing you did it all yourself. I'm not sure I'd have gotten that with an Ikea level of build of a kegerator.

9 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

For $1000 I got my 4-tap fridge, all the fixings (incl. gas bottle, Harris reg etc.) and 7 x 2nd hand kegs plus a ferment fridge. Actual work time to make the fridge was about 2 hours and a good part of that was making triple sure I wasn't going to drill through a pipe in the fridge. I had to do a bit of shopping around - got some from CPB, some from BB and some from KL, but that was just sit in the chair and browse the sites.

CPB also do kits for fridge or freezer conversion - it gave me a good idea as to what I needed but I changed up some parts due to advice on here. e.g. Harris reg instead of the cheaper one, CMB disconnects instead of the cheaper ones, that kind of thing.

As a bonus, there is an immense level of satisfaction in putting it all together and later pouring your first beer, almost perfect, and knowing you did it all yourself. I'm not sure I'd have gotten that with an Ikea level of build of a kegerator.

Sounds good, I agree with your points, I am worried my old brew fridge maybe is getting to old to set-up. I am not handyman savvy as I have been in sales all of my life, having said that I realise that even if I bought a Kegerator I would have to unpack & assemble it. I hate flat packs as I always end up with left over parts.

It is on my wish list at the moment so there is no hurry.

Cheers.

Just now, CLASSIC said:

Sounds good, I agree with your points, I am worried my old brew fridge maybe is getting to old to set-up. I am not handyman savvy as I have been in sales all of my life, having said that I realise that even if I bought a Kegerator I would have to unpack & assemble it. I hate flat packs as I always end up with left over parts.

It is on my wish list at the moment so there is no hurry.

Cheers.

Well, when you get to it, the screws through the wall to hold the manifold are longer than you think. i.e. if it measures (say) 50mm get 65mm bolts.  Also get a 2nd 2-way manifold for the outside wall of the fridge - then you've got a gas line outside for other work and don't need to have the fridge open. 

Also, get yourself one of these to do the tap holes - much better than trying to use a hole saw bit.

Step drill bit
Craftright 10-30mm Step Drill Bit

3 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Well, when you get to it, the screws through the wall to hold the manifold are longer than you think. i.e. if it measures (say) 50mm get 65mm bolts.  Also get a 2nd 2-way manifold for the outside wall of the fridge - then you've got a gas line outside for other work and don't need to have the fridge open. 

Also, get yourself one of these to do the tap holes - much better than trying to use a hole saw bit.

Step drill bit
Craftright 10-30mm Step Drill Bit

Cheers for that, I know for a fact if I was to do it I would have to enlist the help of a mate with more knowledge of it all as I wouldn't attempt it myself.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I snuggled up to my wife in bed looking for some "affection". She said apologetically, "No, darling. It's that time of the month."
I said to her, "I know it's that time of the month but Coopers haven't released this month's recipe and free shipping offer yet, so I'm bored and decided to pester you to keep me entertained."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

I snuggled up to my wife in bed looking for some "affection". She said apologetically, "No, darling. It's that time of the month."
I said to her, "I know it's that time of the month but Coopers haven't released this month's recipe and free shipping offer yet, so I'm bored and decided to pester you to keep me entertained."

Muzzy you are definitely are  in need of a hug after a life shattering rejection like that, however I feel you should reach out to other fellow Crow Eaters for some sort of solace.

I am not the man for it but I feel you will work it out or just toughen up Princess & just wait for the bloody ROTM 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

I got my order in... >$80 free shipping! 😄

@Journeyman  I am going to make the Black IPA, I can source the ingredients locally as Brew Maker sell the Mr Beer extracts & stock a wide range of grain/malt/hops etc.

It's only because I really don't need any extra stock ATM. Good luck with yours, which one did you get or both ??

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

I got 3 x cans LME, 2 x Brew A & 1 x APA. The kits are a bit expensive for me but I like your idea of sourcing the ingredients.

Well as it turns out I have done that with the last 2 ROTM's that impressed me, I am having ATM the last months AUS IPA ( bloody beautiful ) all I did was ring Bill at Brew Maker, Holden Hill & put my order in - he sorta acts as Coopers retail outlet in SA ( maybe @Coopers team ) could clarify that ) then I went out & picked it up the next day.

I didn't really check to see if was cheaper but I am impatient, if I decide I want something, I want it now !!

I guess you could say that about a lot of things. 🤔

Classic Pale Ale.jpg

• Like 1