Coopers Community

My First Brew

So my bottling got sidetracked today by iso jobs, but the completed task will aid my brewing experience as I now have working double sink plumbed and drained in, the bottles may get a slightly longer soak than first expected but I’m sure it won’t effect it, and from what I’m reading the extra day may help to clean it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UncleStavvy said:

Enjoying the fruits of my labor after mowing the lawns. 2.5 weeks in the bottle, lovely and clear. Little light on fizz so you can slam it down fast

IMG_0831.JPG

I don't mind light fizz but a friend of mine suggested to me my beers were a bit flat. I used to use 2 carb drops per long neck, I now use 1 plus a CSR sugar cube and it's increased the level of fizz. Carb drops are about 3 grams, sugar cubes 4.5g.

11 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Yeah for sure my biggest problem was it wasn’t just .002it was like.102 out.... but we will push thru and I’m confident it’ll be ok

If it was that far out then the liquid level would have been down around the bulb at the bottom or way up near the top of the thing itself, which could happen I guess if liquid got in it and weighed it down.

Each 10 on the scale represents .01, not .1, and each little black line between them is .001 I think on the Coopers ones. On mine the graduations are .002. Since it sits one graduation above 1.000 in water, the reading is .998. 

28 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

So as I’m still at work, looks like the bottling will be held off for another day.... plenty of clean up action going on hopefully.... how far over when you think it’s ready can you go and will it effect the beer?

Will be fine dont worry about it, another day or so wont matter.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ian2020 said:

after let bottles sit for 2 weeks have had a problem all but 4 were flat any help with this and im using coopers bottles are lids reusable 

What did you add to the bottles when you filled them? How much sugar/carbonation drops?

32 minutes ago, ian2020 said:

added 2 carbon drops p/bottle

Where were they stored? Bottles need 2 weeks at or above 18C. If cooler, they'll take longer. The lids shouldn't be a problem, They need screwing on tight.

Edited by Lab Cat

Just cracked a stout thats been 10 days in the bottle and it was flat as. May have been too cool so off to the shed with them. Was a West End twist top bottle though...but capped with a bench capper with a fresh cap!

Edited by UncleStavvy

I've had flat ones in Coopers bottles so I give them a miss. The lids felt tight, but probably not tight enough.

A Pommy mate of mine bottles into 1.125L Coke bottles and they come out perfectly. They're also the perfect size - 2 pints!

Edited by Instigator
  • Like 1

Here’s a little querie, if the idea Ferment temp is 20-22c, would it be better to keep a constant 24c day and night or fluctuation that ranged from 20-24c? As I won’t be getting a fridge anytime soon, I thought I could jimmy up an insulation setup to stop the fluctuation pretty easily.

15 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Here’s a little querie, if the idea Ferment temp is 20-22c, would it be better to keep a constant 24c day and night or fluctuation that ranged from 20-24c? As I won’t be getting a fridge anytime soon, I thought I could jimmy up an insulation setup to stop the fluctuation pretty easily.

Where did you get the 20-22c from? Most here would say 18c is ideal.

17 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

The ideal is a constant temp for fermenting. Pick 22° or 18° and keep it as close as possible to that figure. Above 22° and you'll possibly get odd flavours with some yeasts. Many ale yeasts don't like going much below 18° either. 

One of the reasons I like Nottingham is the wide range of temps it works in, down to lager temps and higher than most ale yeasts. But I still keep my brew at constant temp.

16 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

20-22c was from the coopers diy DVD YouTube clip, also most say up to 26c is workable, above that is a no go.... will be trying for a lower temp for sure but more so wondering if the fluctuation as opposed to a constant slightly higher temp will be better

Everything I have heard since circa 1984 or so has been, constant temp is best. The ups&downs mess with the yeast activity.

16 hours ago, ian2020 said:

after let bottles sit for 2 weeks have had a problem all but 4 were flat any help with this and im using coopers bottles are lids reusable 

If it was the 2nd use of the bottles the ring that gets left on could jam & not let the cap seal, I always cut them off. If 1st use I put a rag over lid & tighten lid & twist the bottom of bottle to put extra pressure on lid seal. 

• Like 1

Ok, I got it done, first batch bottled, Fg seemed to be settled on1.011.... mind you with a self calibrated hydrometer 😂😂.... got 10 750ml pet bottles out of it.... and I’ve already worted the coopers lager into the fv with 11ltrs🙏🙏..... about to check the SG!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

On a bright note, I am looking at getting a larger FV, looking at picking up a Malt Shovel Vessel with glass hydrometer.... any body know much about them? They look sound, just not clear so would be able to see what’s happening😭

Have a look here. https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/malt-shovel-kit-fermenter.24786/

• Like 1