Coopers Community

My First Brew

@Goldcoast Crow by the look of it, your hydro is reading about 5 points less than it should be.  Keep checking it in water.  Say leave it in some water overnight and compare readings before and after as the hydro may have a crack / faulty seam and leaking fluid into its cavity hence will sit lower and lower in water over time.  If it does that bin it and get a real one.

If it does not change over time with overnight test you could gain about 3 points by snipping off nearly all the red bit at the top but be careful not to go too far and create a hole.  Snip little bits at a time and test, snip a bit more and test again or just get a real one.

Cheers - AL

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

So the water temp was 21.7c when I took the water reading and the beer reading has dropped significantly throughout the day

202FC5B8-B99B-49D7-9768-6CCA6BA0563F.jpeg

CA0BE3A5-6509-48FE-A202-C3790EFB3BBF.jpeg

Stick to brewing as your photography skills needs some improvement. 🙃🙃

• Haha 2

So I did a quick check this morning and overnight the og went back to 1.02 but relative to the other day when it was 1.027 it is dropping, even if it is slowly, as for the water test, I am leaving it in for a while and rechecking the marking to see if it changes.... it was reading .995 this morning.

6CE7BDAC-D634-4AAD-8572-3F5850D06E81.jpeg

7 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

.... and wife yelling from the deck to start cooking the fish😂😂😂

Once a while back, my daughter in law stuck her head out the sliding patio doors and yelled out "I'm hungry" when my son and I were standing around the BBQ waiting for it to heat up.

I waved the tongs at her and said "well come here and I will cook you some tongue".

In the same situation now, she send the grand daughter out to ask where her lunch is. 🤣

Cheers - AL

4 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Ok so overnight my batch dropped to 1.011 so I’ll be bottling tomorrow👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽, one quick question, if I am to run a new brew they the FV, do I need to full napisan soak the FV our can I give a quick scrub and start up?

If your brew dropped overnight it is likely NOT at FG. FG comes when it STOPS dropping for at least a couple of days. Bottle and condition before FG and you risk bottle bombs and glass exploding along with beer all over the place is not a pleasant task to clean up. And if you're bottling into PETs they spring leaks and put beer everywhere.

No need for the soak but after the scrub DO sanitise it. (unless Napisan IS your sanitiser?) I have a 2L pressure spray bottle with stellarsan in it - pump it up, adjust the brass nozzle for fine spray and a 3 second burst coats the entire FV insides.

On 4/6/2020 at 9:46 AM, Thecko said:

Hi Guys first time here and first time at brewing really excited and nervous as well don’t want to stuff the first batch of course. Just got the Coopers DIY kit With the Coopers lager but a bit concerned with the temperature here in Melbourne dropping to low teens over the last couple of days. I note some of the comments suggest lager can ferment in cooler temps, I’m planning to do the process in the laundry where this time of year temp inside the house can drop to 15 overnight, during the day it should heat to b/t 18-20 inside. This fluctuation shouldn’t cause any issues should it? I also thought about throwing either a space blanket or sleeping bag around it at night to keep temp moderate is this recommend? Any help or advice would be great thx brewers! 🍺

If getting too cold overnight while you are counting zzzzz is a concern, one solution is to get a temperature controller and a heat belt. For less than 80 bucks you could get a belt and a temperature controller that has heating and cooling plugs, and with high and low temperature alarms, with all temperatures customisable. Then just program it to turn on the heating socket at 18c (or your choice) and you won't have to worry about the overnight lows of 15c 🙂

Edited by pilotsh
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Ok so overnight my batch dropped to 1.011 so I’ll be bottling tomorrow👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽, one quick question, if I am to run a new brew they the FV, do I need to full napisan soak the FV our can I give a quick scrub and start up?

@Goldcoast Crow  Never ever scrub your Coopers FV or any plastic FV, you will root it!  Micro fine scratches on the inside will almost ensure you will infect subsequent batches.

I give mine a hose out on the lawn fill with soaker right to the top, let a bit out through the tap to flush, don't be tempted to rub of the Krausen stuck to the inside, let the soaker do its work and soften, it will rinse off ok next day.  if persistent crud the use a soft cloth only no brushes or scrubbers.  Rinse thoroughly with hot water, disconnect the tap and disassemble it.  Some boil their taps, I don't for fear of damage, just soak dis-assembled tap parts (O rings off) in a bleach solution overnight.  Next day rinse again re-sanitise and you are good to go.

Don't rush this process as it not worth loosing a batch.

Cheers - AL

On 4/6/2020 at 7:00 PM, Titan said:

You really want to keep it in a dark place, certainly out of the sun. Just cover with an old sheet. You dont want skunked (light struck) beer before it goes into bottles.

I kept it in a dark spot in the sun room anyway its smells great and is bottled in the kit box it came with. The bottles were squeezed and now they are very firm I hope they wont explode  

1 hour ago, Lab Cat said:

If your beer needs fruit in it, there's not enough beer in the beer.

It was a Mexican so I thought it may need a slice of citrus but on beers 2,3 & 4 I decided it needed no more....

nice drop tho.... also picked up a six pack of bluey..... anyone ever tried it, its new I think!