Coopers Community

My First Brew

52 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Tried the Bluey when my brother-in-law dropped in with 6 one day.

Nearly the worst beer I’ve ever had. Even VB had more flavour.

That's a feat, when VB has no flavour.

In these days of craft beer and its excesses, the megaswill merchants still rely on lots of marketing to sell complete crap. You can see the pattern - Iron Jack, Crap Northern and Bluey - pee yellow bland beer in clear bottles. They think really people are dumb enough to buy a local marketing version of Corona? Yep. 

Edited by Lab Cat
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

It was a Mexican so I thought it may need a slice of citrus but on beers 2,3 & 4 I decided it needed no more....

nice drop tho.... also picked up a six pack of bluey..... anyone ever tried it, its new I think!

😄 I always thought, if you have to strain it through a piece of lemon, you are drinking the wrong stuff. 😄 (or you're in Mexico where they squeeze the lime/lemon into the bottle and then wipe the bottle mouth with it to stop the flies. 😄 )

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Well I got up this morning and I reckon my hydrometer is buggered as a 20c water test showed .990 😫not good, how do I try and make this brew ok with a faulty hydrometer, it’s all guess work from here😭

Get a new hydrometer. In the meantime, how long has it been in the fermenter and how constant have the temps been? Get yourself a glass one - they have them with 3 scales to also show estimated ABV but I have no idea how accurate that bit is.

Attached is IanH's spreadsheet - near as I can tell this is the latest HE uploaded. (there was some discussion about a later version that had a difference in OG/FG - don't know why but also I think someone else may have uploaded it) Put your ingredients into the SS and see what it thinks the FG will be and when you get your hydro, check it and see if you're anywhere near it.

Kit & Extract Beer Designer V4.1 (1).xls

Edited by Journeyman

7 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

I’m at day 9, temp has been around 23-24 daytime and dropping a touch over night.

i will try and tack a new hydrometer down today but may be hard with all the lockdown stuff

It's a basic kit brew, right? And you're using PET's?

I'd bottle it. If you have a fridge, CC it for a day, if not see how clear it is - if it's cloudy and you don't want that you can get a small tin of gelatin at the supermarket - 1 tspn in a cup of boiling water, stir to dissolve and pour it around the top of the brew and leave for a day. I have a jar that I punched nail holes in 1 half the lid and one larger hole in the other half as a breather so I get a watering can effect.

So as my hydrometer is dropping to .998 and is stuffed and I won’t get one until this brew is done, I am experimenting, I have chopped the red of and am taking the little ball bearings out till I get to my designated level of 1.0 in 20c water..... will this work or is the hydrometer stuffed once the cavity has been compromised?

1 minute ago, Titan said:

If the cavity is indeed compromised, then its stuffed.

Cheers, the hydrometer was about .13 out of whack so I was just buggerising around to get it down to 1.0 which I have got it too but I’ve removed about 25 ball bearings to get it to 1.0

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just now, Titan said:

Im not familiar with the coopers hydrometer. So cant comment further.

All gd I’m gonna push on with this one as it seemed to be all in the right zone’s re time in FV ,  and allowing my DIY servicing got the hydrometer to 1.0, my brew test came up as 1.1 FG, I won’t be getting a new hydrometer in the next day or so, and it tastes ok. 🙏🙏🙏

Did one of these couple of weeks ago and bottled in PET bottles. Maybe 5-6 days in bottle and they were completely clear with the yeast settled and almost compacted on the bottom. You can pour one into a glass with no sediment at all or you can roll it pale ale style. I reckon after 9 days your good to bottle. Cant hurt to leave hydrometer wet but best practice would be to drain and dry your tube

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

So as my hydrometer is dropping to .998 and is stuffed and I won’t get one until this brew is done, I am experimenting, I have chopped the red of and am taking the little ball bearings out till I get to my designated level of 1.0 in 20c water..... will this work or is the hydrometer stuffed once the cavity has been compromised?

find something to block it but you'll have to allow for that weight too. I'm thinking the plastic end bit from a BIC pen might be a close fit

Edited by UncleStavvy
  • Like 1

1.010 more likely. Which sounds about right for FG on a kit brew. 

I have a glass one with an ABV thing on it but I don't take much notice of it because the scale appears to be designed for wine. It also has a grams per litre sugar content scale, and the usual SG scale. I use the OG and FG to calculate approximate ABV. Mine reads .998 in 20 degree water, so I just add .002 to every reading. Much easier than trying to remove the weights in the bottom, obviously doing that with a glass one would break it anyway. 

24 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

1.010 more likely. Which sounds about right for FG on a kit brew. 

I have a glass one with an ABV thing on it but I don't take much notice of it because the scale appears to be designed for wine. It also has a grams per litre sugar content scale, and the usual SG scale. I use the OG and FG to calculate approximate ABV. Mine reads .998 in 20 degree water, so I just add .002 to every reading. Much easier than trying to remove the weights in the bottom, obviously doing that with a glass one would break it anyway. 

Yeah for sure my biggest problem was it wasn’t just .002it was like.102 out.... but we will push thru and I’m confident it’ll be ok

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

I have a jar that I punched nail holes in 1 half the lid and one larger hole in the other half as a breather so I get a watering can effect.

Yep I reckon this brew is done, forget about the hydro until new one and next batch.  Time to cold crash this baby for a few days then bottle it.  Gelatin best works if the batch is already cold so do it second day of CC.

If if do the gelatin thing (which is rarely as I always cold crash at 2 C for 7 days) I have one of these Parmesan cheese shakers from woolies $6.  They are stainless steal and easy to sanitise and distribute the gelatin mix over the surface of the brew and hence no need to stir it in therefore taking away another possible risk of infection.  Very similar to  @Journeyman Mark's idea.

Cheers - AL

Parmesan cheese shaker.PNG

• Like 1

Loving all the feed back, cheers everyone, unfortunately the cold crash mybe something for future as I have no space or fridge for this.... I’ll keep pushing on nd see where we end up in 2 weeks time free bottling this arvo, bottles in the sodium percarbonte mix since 9 this morn..... so. Good 6 hr soak then a solid rinse should see this baby thru....

If rinsed properly & drained no need for them to be dry. 

I use a double sink and have cleaner in one and a mild solution of stellarsan in the other, clean then rinse in the stellarsan then a quick spray of proper strength stellarsan down the neck (of the bottle, 😄 not me) roll it around and onto the bottle tree. Just for the Irish... (2B sure, 2B sure 😄 )

I also do the washing a day or so early and when I have 2 brews to bottle I stand one lot on the bench and cover them with a damp chux that's been sprayed with stellasan.

7 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Did one of these couple of weeks ago and bottled in PET bottles. Maybe 5-6 days in bottle and they were completely clear with the yeast settled and almost compacted on the bottom. You can pour one into a glass with no sediment at all or you can roll it pale ale style. I reckon after 9 days your good to bottle. Cant hurt to leave hydrometer wet but best practice would be to drain and dry your tube

Enjoying the fruits of my labor after mowing the lawns. 2.5 weeks in the bottle, lovely and clear. Little light on fizz so you can slam it down fast

IMG_0831.JPG

• Like 1