Coopers Community

My First Brew

35 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

So my first batch of amber ale has been bottled for 6 days and all bottles are firm as, just wondering will the alcohol content grow in the second fermentation?

If you're using 2 carbonation drops for a long neck, the increase in ABV is approx. 0.5%.

• Thanks 1

Ok so my second brew has been in the fv for 6days now, haven’t checked sg yet but will do my first check tomorrow, starting from 1.044 (with a not trustworthy coopers hydrometer) what should I be expecting tomorrow (with a decent glass hydrometer)?

And also my lager has had really low/non existent klausen since around day 3, basically like light air bubbles in a circular group around a tea saucer size, with plenty of condensation apparent, is this ok? 

1 hour ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Ok so my second brew has been in the fv for 6days now, haven’t checked sg yet but will do my first check tomorrow, starting from 1.044 (with a not trustworthy coopers hydrometer) what should I be expecting tomorrow (with a decent glass hydrometer)?

And also my lager has had really low/non existent klausen since around day 3, basically like light air bubbles in a circular group around a tea saucer size, with plenty of condensation apparent, is this ok? 

If your initial SG reading is with the Coopers hydrometer I'd stick with it for this brew to give you accurate data comparisons.
FG readings will always be lower than OG readings but they'll vary from brew to brew depending on what fermentables you've added eg. if you add only dextrose which fully ferments into alcohol your FG reading will be lower than if you added something like light dry malt which doesn't fully ferment into alcohol and because it doesn't fully ferment out it adds body and flavour to your beer.
KRAUSEN reduces over the fermenting process. That's perfectly normal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

KRAUSEN reduces over the fermenting process. That's perfectly normal.

So does a completely collapsed and disappeared Krausen indicate fermentation has stopped? Or you can still have continuing fermentation even though there is no Krausen?

28 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

So does a completely collapsed and disappeared Krausen indicate fermentation has stopped? Or you can still have continuing fermentation even though there is no Krausen?

Fermentation can still be happening without krausen. Your hydrometer (even one that's a bit askew) is your greatest ally. Once your hydrometer reads the same for 2-3 days in a row you know your fermenting is done.
Late edit: The hydrometer will tell if your ferment is done or, heaven forbid, stalled.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Late edit: The hydrometer will tell if your ferment is done or, heaven forbid, stalled.

Thanks Muzzy. For future reference (so I can be aware of it), if the hydrometer reading is steady, what other ways can one tell the difference between a completed versus a stalled brew? Anything other than expected-ish date?

(assuming you don't have an expected FG figure to look for)

Edited by pilotsh

5 minutes ago, pilotsh said:

Thanks Muzzy. For future reference (so I can be aware of it), if the hydrometer reading is steady, what other ways can one tell the difference between a completed versus a stalled brew? Anything other than expected-ish date?

(assuming you don't have an expected FG figure to look for)

If you're like me and only doing Coopers kits and sticking fairly close to the recipes, your OGs will be in the 1.036-1.046 range and will usually ferment down to 1.006-1.012 range (roughly). 
So if you get a steady reading in the 1020s-1030s you might have a stalled brew.
However, this won't necessarily be the case for all grain or kits with bits brews because additions of certain ingredients that don't ferment out will increase SG (density).
Also, the rough figures I point out above are for 23 litre brews. If your brews are less in volume they will have higher SG readings.

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Also, the rough figures I point out above are for 23 litre brews. If your brews are less in volume they will have higher SG readings.

Ohhh, I'm not so worried about my 1018 after 11 days then..... 😎

• Like 1

Also, these were part of my new fv, obviously the lid has an air trap but the red thing I’m guessing is for sugar measuring but the little black thing has white powder in one end and black stones in the other, one side has little holes, I’m guessing a filter of some sort??

DEFC5403-63BA-49F2-B4FB-CBFFACD0FB2E.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Yeah I’m getting thirsty so I’ll be throwing a couple in the fridge Friday night I’d say🍻🍻🍻

I have two brews that have been carbonating at serving pressure in kegs since Saturday.  I will be giving them a try this Saturday, even if that might be a bit early from a flavour perspective.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Also, these were part of my new fv, obviously the lid has an air trap but the red thing I’m guessing is for sugar measuring but the little black thing has white powder in one end and black stones in the other, one side has little holes, I’m guessing a filter of some sort??

DEFC5403-63BA-49F2-B4FB-CBFFACD0FB2E.jpeg

That b&w thing looks a bit like the water filters you get in some coffee machines. At a guess the black is activated charcoal - the white? NFI!

• Haha 1

So the trial period has begun, yes I am starting a little early but it’s a learning process and I am not planning on chugging down 10 pets in one weekend.... it will be 9 days tomorrow night so I’ll document on my app each day over the weekend to see if there is much difference...... to be honest I am tongueing for a taste😂😂😂

936B04B1-C391-4B78-B4BC-D60BE24B9F0C.jpeg

So day 9 and I had a big day at work, got home, slayed the lawns then cracked my first homebrew..... went down a treat, like a light dark ale, I guess that’s why it’s amber😂😂😂, nice enough to knock over 2 tallies and put another two in the fridge, interesting to see how they change over the next week.... I did notice it was a battle to get a good head on it, and it died pretty quick, not a lot of fizz but had that real sark/old ale consistency to it, really yum.

0C323E3F-024A-443D-8816-2D10A8341C48.jpeg

• Like 3