Coopers Community

What is a your Next Purchase?

Beer Baron

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Where did you find one for $12? I was thinking buy a lamp with an old fashioned incandescent bulb but $12 is competitive where the more usual $20+ is not.

triplejhomebrew.com.au

Free shipping if in Melbourne. I had to pay $11 shipping to SA but I also ordered some hops.

Use the code TRJ5 to get 5% discount.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2020 at 5:33 PM, Beer Baron said:

This might be next 🤔 

The list of things I want to buy is too long

359E3457-4515-4D9C-BFFF-A59FC7D79E32.jpeg

Think bigger...

BeefSmokingAway_17-2-20.jpg

This bullet sized vessel is 3 tiered. They are not that much more expensive & offer more capability & versatility of cooking. If you just want to "weber" meat" in the config of your pic you can simply remove the middle section(s) of these 3 tiered vessels & lay the top lid on the bottom section.

The weber config is great for roasting, but due to being close to the coals, the meat will cook faster so you are a little limited with how long you can cook meats etc. with them due to their close proximity to the flame. That said there are clever people who know how to load & position their coals to maintain a lower temp for longer in the weber setup.

I like the versatility of the bullet setup. It's great for cooking larger volumes & for late cooking veggies, steak, fish parcels, breads, chicken blah blah blah that you may wish to cook for shorter time frames along side a larger slow cooked parcel of meat that benefits from longer, lower temp slow cooking. The extra shelving allows you to do the lot in one cooker should you wish.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Think bigger...

BeefSmokingAway_17-2-20.jpg

This bullet sized vessel is 3 tiered. They are not that much more expensive & offer more capability & versatility of cooking. If you just want to "weber" meat" in the config of your pic you can simply remove the middle section(s) of these 3 tiered vessels & lay the top lid on the bottom section.

The weber config is great for roasting, but due to being close to the coals, the meat will cook faster so you are a little limited with how long you can cook meats etc. with them due to their close proximity to the flame. That said there are clever people who know how to load & position their coals to maintain a lower temp for longer in the weber setup.

I like the versatility of the bullet setup. It's great for cooking larger volumes & for late cooking veggies, steak, fish parcels, breads, chicken blah blah blah that you may wish to cook for shorter time frames along side a larger slow cooked parcel of meat that benefits from longer, lower temp slow cooking. The extra shelving allows you to do the lot in one cooker should you wish.

Just my 20 cents,

Lusty.

Maybe I can get both!!😂

Thanks for the tip Lusty. I have looked at a bullet smoker and the kettle and I was leaning towards the kettle. You can get plenty of accessories for the kettle these days including a deflector plate which can limit the direct heat. 

I also have a Traeger pellet smoker which I use for low and slow so I wouldn’t use it for low and slow. 

You do make some great points so it’s time to do more research before buying or maybe I’ll just go and get both.

Beer Baron

A3922A6F-690F-45A4-83F6-771A65DB3A52.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MUZZY said:

triplejhomebrew.com.au

Free shipping if in Melbourne. I had to pay $11 shipping to SA but I also ordered some hops.

Use the code TRJ5 to get 5% discount.

I'm no expert but they look like some good prices. 25L SS fermenter for $109? Not sure what postage would do to that but if I can find someone coming from Melb this way... 😄

46 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'm no expert but they look like some good prices. 25L SS fermenter for $109? Not sure what postage would do to that but if I can find someone coming from Melb this way... 😄

I think the prices are pretty good from what I've seen but I won't say I've seen a lot. I initially just placed a hops order through ebay with them and they sent a coupon about the TRJ5 discount across their website, so my curiosity took me to have a look at the site to discover they sell more than just hops.
You can do a dummy order to determine what the postage will be. You don't have to give any credit details before you get the pricing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

You can do a dummy order to determine what the postage will be. You don't have to give any credit details before you get the pricing.

Yep... did that. And ran into the same issue I have with my LHBS & other postage sources - as soon as I add a few things to try and reduce the per-item cost for postage, I very quickly get to the price of petrol for a trip to Adelaide. 😄 e.g. my LHBS wants $60 for 5kg LDME - Beerbelly sells it at $41 so right there is my fuel and everything else I buy while there is 'postage free' so to speak and cheaper (significantly) than the LHBS. 

Triplej doesn't have 5kg lots and 10 x 500g is $45 + $16.50 post...   le sigh... 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

IMG_20200220_143104.thumb.jpg.5239b0d562016c02c4f1a925cb4c8b6b.jpg

I blame the process, not the man. You don't fail at anything when it comes to making food! 😋

Edit: Opening up your own Continental food store just copped a short setback. 😉

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve recently got promoted at work and got a nice little increase which is being backdated 4 months. To celebrate I’m putting an order into kegland for a conical fermenter and all the fixtures and fittings , spunding valve etc and also getting all the brewing salts and ph meter as I’ve recently educated myself on water chemistry.  In a few weeks should be able to do enclosed transfers from fermenter to keg. Beware the rabbit hole 🐰 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 3/1/2020 at 6:05 PM, PaddyBrew2 said:

I’ve recently got promoted at work and got a nice little increase which is being backdated 4 months. To celebrate I’m putting an order into kegland for a conical fermenter and all the fixtures and fittings , spunding valve etc and also getting all the brewing salts and ph meter as I’ve recently educated myself on water chemistry.  In a few weeks should be able to do enclosed transfers from fermenter to keg. Beware the rabbit hole 🐰 

Hey Bugs, in a few weeks I think a ferret would have a hard time finding you in the rabbit hole you'll be in! Getting pretty deep! 😉

Cheers & best of luck with it.

Lusty.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Went to drop the $$$ on a 35l BrewZilla, only to find they are out of stock until next week.

So can’t order it til Wednesday or Thursday now, but I do believe there will be a midweek brew day some time the following week.

After that, kegs and associated fridge (with enough room for everyone else’s drinkies  as well)!

The only bottling I intend doing after Christmas will be left overs and give always.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Hops. Today I bought 600g Saaz, 250g Cascade, 200g falconer's flight and 100g galaxy for $83 or whatever it was. Came to $99 with shipping from cheeky peak. Should keep me going for a while. 

That's going well Kelsey ; ) 

More than a kilo of hops - Gold!

Yeah have bought hops from CPB and found their prices pretty reasonable and the hops pretty good.

And at less than $9 for a 100g average including postage is a pretty good deal as far as I can see...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

That's going well Kelsey ; ) 

More than a kilo of hops - Gold!

Yeah have bought hops from CPB and found their prices pretty reasonable and the hops pretty good.

And at less than $9 for a 100g average including postage is a pretty good deal as far as I can see...

Yeah I figured with the dollar being down against the greenback I'd end up paying too much buying them from Yakima valley. This should do me for the next half dozen batches which is probably about 3-4 months worth of brewing.

• Like 2