Coopers Community

What is a your Next Purchase?

Beer Baron

Ha ha mate... right... 

This should be it:

image.png.dd5c9901da4a8bbd2729e4e256e6d5eb.png

But there are plenty bigger mate.

Think mine says 45 just below the top... 

image.png.cd2b4ec340f0f029835b0714cb28de69.png

The above double-pronged element - do not get the cheap arrrrse single thing - burn on potential.

If you get SS basket you do not need false floor.  Talk to Jezza - can be hard to get hold of - but is v good.

1 X 50L Vessel Suited 304SS 300 Micron Mesh Basket  

The 50L Baskets are there -- on the site -- but don't jump out at you - the CPB website is a bit hard to handle.

Was easier to go there -- big trip for me -- but worked out well.

Note you will lose a a good few litres of volume in the below-tap trub layer... but think that is to be expected. 

And I got the little mag drive pump and like 4m of high temp Si hose... which was plenty... Prolly only need 2m.... depends what your setup is.

Ask for Jezza at CPB - he is really good. 

I upgraded the pump head to Stainless steel (impeller still plastic)...

image.png.b3c45ec986d60ad65c934560a23b1bd5.png

But if you want to do 60L.... then maybe go to 70L i.e. maybe you need bigger than 50?  That is why maybe ask to talk to Jezza.

image.png.66d8f8121a234dbb03a9d0f94d258780.png

Hope that helps Boozer.

Hope everything comes through - pics etc - dunno whether it was the site - the net - my dodgy connection - or my PC - but did not have a easy time getting this all in here... cheers Cob.

BB

image.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Thanks 1

OR @iBooz2

Just cut out the mid term business development and go straight to the top..... and suggest you commission @Red devil 44 to do your cool room and dozen tap install to accompany it mate?!

image.png.f2db14510a50c2b4594b28d923d1cf54.png

And I think

@iBooz2 Boozer you have the music already sorted with all of your guitars or maybe get in touch with @The Captain!! the Captain for assistance there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Bearded Burbler Thanks mate, you've done a ripper job here Burbler.  Appreciate all your hard work and effort in order to educate a mug punter like me. Cheers to you.  Hope it did not take up too much of your precious brewing time.

It's great to get such good feedback from more experienced brewers and I say that not only on behalf of myself but also for all new brewers or old brewers returning back to this hobby.  Good job.

Just been taking a second and third look at going down this path and realized a kettle / tun like this would need a thermostat to switch off the heating element otherwise it would be either full on or full off therefore difficult to maintain a constant temp.

Once again Burbler mate, over to you, how have you got yours setup with your heating element?

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 8:33 PM, iBooz2 said:

Once again Burbler mate, over to you, how have you got yours setup with your heating element?

Correct Boozer - you need to be able to do temp control.

It is called an Inkbird... surely you would have come across that before in your temp-controlled brewing journey.... or are you a free spirit like the great Master Brewer @Ben 10 Ben who just goes with the ambient temp flow?  And there are other brands of course.

image.png.7935626d7587d59ef4eb9a84842005ab.png

• Thanks 1

@Bearded Burbler Yes sorry Burbler, have corrected my insubordinate ways and have ticked all your thank you boxes.😁

When I went back to re-read your post after I replied to you, then did notice the Inky hanging out of the tub.   Subsequently went to their web site and found it has a temp probe port as on option that goes through one of the spare holes.  That way I can use my exiting controllers and it all makes sense now.

Shot them an email as I further found they have complete kits with all the bits except for the pump and wanted to find out about freight costs.  But their reply said no stock until mid July even though they are showing as in stock on their web site.  Sneaky buggers, but that being said it would be a full time job updating their shopping site to show actual stock levels.  Hopefully they catch up with this flaw soon.

So its looks like the purchase is off for the time being and big batches of AG will have to wait.  Thanks again BB.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

no stock until mid July

Phhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaarque.  Yeah tis the times Boozer hey.  I lucked in big time as I finally bit the bullet and bought a freezer like in Feb... and had also got a fair bit of malt and stuff before the trouble started... next time I was at the freezer shop the nice lads who sold it to me advised that they were clean out of every freezer they had....

Yeah and mate - CPB are a great mob...  but (don't tell them I said this) their website is not as legendary as their products and skilful assistance...

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Haha no worries Muzza!

Sorry Burbs. Can't find the seller on eBay anymore and the email for my order has a link to them but when I click on it, redirects to some weird sh1t. They were from China. Not sure if that would please you or not anyway.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Sorry Burbs. Can't find the seller on eBay anymore and the email for my order has a link to them but when I click on it, redirects to some weird sh1t. They were from China. Not sure if that would please you or not anyway.

Might turn up with a few dead bats in the box do you think Muzzy?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Might turn up with a few dead bats in the box do you think Muzzy?

Who knows? I ordered mine just before restrictions started and they just arrived this week. I'm at work currently using my phone to search. When I get home I'll get on the PC and see if I have more luck finding them.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Lashed out about $3 for two 100ml test tube beakers to do SG readings. My last one didn't have a steady base and always got knocked over. 

Hope you can see through it. 😄 Looks rather opaque for readings.

Edited by Journeyman

23 hours ago, MUZZY said:

@Bearded Burbler Well I'm home now and found the seller on my PC. Their price has gone up from $6.80 for 2 delivered to $13.43 for 1 plus delivery extra. Sheesh!!

Ha ha Stinkin' Cheats.... everyone in Australia musta ordered one Muzza?!

I'll continue with my fancy schmancy super glass hydro in me Coops Plazzi 'Leaning Tower of Pisssa'... Broke all the other cylinders so have to do penance for a while ha ha ; )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah the glass ones I have are the best I've used. Can read it properly at eye level given they're obviously see through. Wouldn't use anything else now. 

Ha ha the Glass ones are GOLD Kelsey but after somehow having been able to break two lovely glass ones I have reverted to the old Coops Plazzi and just do micro adjustments under its base to bring it back to the vertical 😜

• Haha 2

I had 2 x glass and a Coopers one. First brew I went to put a glass one into the tube and let it go a bit high - the bottom came off and I had slivers of glass everywhere and bare feet. Had to call the missus to bring a broom. Been VERY careful of the other one. 😄

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Journeyman said:

I had 2 x glass and a Coopers one. First brew I went to put a glass one into the tube and let it go a bit high - the bottom came off and I had slivers of glass everywhere and bare feet. Had to call the missus to bring a broom. Been VERY careful of the other one. 😄

Talking about the sample tube not the hydrometer itself. Either way I use a glass one, but mine is a one piece construction so there's no bottom to fall off. If it breaks the whole thing breaks. 

I used to have those plastic sample tubes but I found them too narrow and the hydrometer would always stick to the side making it harder to read accurately. With the glass ones I have they're wide enough for it to float freely without contacting anything but the wort/beer it's floating in. Easy to clean as well, being borosilicate glass they can tolerate boiling water. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Talking about the sample tube not the hydrometer itself. Either way I use a glass one, but mine is a one piece construction so there's no bottom to fall off. If it breaks the whole thing breaks. 

I used to have those plastic sample tubes but I found them too narrow and the hydrometer would always stick to the side making it harder to read accurately. With the glass ones I have they're wide enough for it to float freely without contacting anything but the wort/beer it's floating in. Easy to clean as well, being borosilicate glass they can tolerate boiling water. 

The plastic tubes I just got are quite a bit wider than the Coopers plastic tubes.

• Like 1