Coopers Community

What is a your Next Purchase?

Beer Baron

42 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Yeah I figured with the dollar being down against the greenback I'd end up paying too much buying them from Yakima valley. This should do me for the next half dozen batches which is probably about 3-4 months worth of brewing.

I guess that has to be the way of the future for the time being... unless we can rise to the levels of excellence that our Fellow Brewer @Maurice79 Maurice has delivered recently hey:

image.thumb.png.e91dd41d345fa8bd6f9e607b891fb560.png

Champion effort @Maurice79 Maurice!

Maybe next year for the rest of us laggards ha ha ; )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

Waiting on my delivery for a few things, Magnetic stirrer + 2L flask, Counter pressure bottle filler. Australia post takes a very long time these days haha

Yeah at least they are still churning through their load and we are getting the deliveries ha ha!

• Like 1

Yeah I'm still waiting on a parcel from the UK that left on April 7. Not brewing related but I need the stuff so I wish they'd hurry up. Usually only takes a couple of weeks if that. I expected it to be longer than that, but it's getting ridiculous now. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Sad 1

@NewBrews so you and your mate got the last of the 35L Brewzilla's in recent run huh!

My next purchase will now be the 65 L Brewzilla.  Surprised to learn that the heating elements on either the 35 or the 65 cannot be replaced if they go.  Is that correct, anyone had a problem and had to try and fix?

Will be looking at a simple AG recipe or two to start myself off on the training wheels with this baby in the coming weeks - thanks.

Also what software does everyone like the best for AG?

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
typo

2 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@NewBrews so you and your mate got the last of the 35L Brewzilla's in recent run huh!

My next purchase will now be the 65 L Brewzilla.  Surprised to learn that the heating elements on either the 35 or the 65 cannot be replaced if they go.  Is that correct, anyone had a problem and had to try and fix?

Will be looking at a simple AG recipe or two to start myself off on the training wheels with this baby in the coming weeks - thanks.

Cheers - AL

Yeah. Seems like it.

i was watching on Monday waiting for them to come into stock and ordered as soon as I saw it. Assumed they would have got more but then I saw them sold out on Wednesday.

I was considering the 65l but didn’t have the 15 amp power point yet.

I’m using Beersmith for my recipe prep. Had it for a while and getting used to it.

The ESB I’m doing is pretty straight forward, got the recipe from my LHBS as a kind of kit. I’ve done a few small BIAB brews in my 20l Big W pot, it will become my new hot liquor tank from now on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

I started using the Grainfather app, but my brew results were all over the place.  I have Beersmith, but have not properly got my head around it yet.

Now that I am a few AG brews in I have dialled in my Grainfather app parameters so that I am getting actual results (OG and Volume into fermenter) that match what the software says I should.  Still do not completely trust it yet.  It is like having two thermometers that read differently.  One might be correct, or they could both be wrong.  Until I get a third to match one of the two, I guess I will never know.  And just because it has a digital display does not mean it is right.

I have heard a few on the Forum speak well of BrewFather as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I started using the Grainfather app, but my brew results were all over the place.  I have Beersmith, but have not properly got my head around it yet.

Now that I am a few AG brews in I have dialled in my Grainfather app parameters so that I am getting actual results (OG and Volume into fermenter) that match what the software says I should.  Still do not completely trust it yet.  It is like having two thermometers that read differently.  One might be correct, or they could both be wrong.  Until I get a third to match one of the two, I guess I will never know.  And just because it has a digital display does not mean it is right.

That has pretty much been my experience with it too. 

I use Beersmith and then transfer the info to the Grainfather app. Things get changed around a bit - IBUs and gravity - and I have to tinker a bit to get it to where I want it.

I like Beersmith (still on version 2) but like Shamus, I have heard good things about Brewfather - I have even downloaded the app - but am yet to really use it.  It's free and looks pretty intuitive, so maybe a good place to start @iBooz2

• Thanks 1

I've used beersmith since I started AG, didn't take me long to get the hang of it. There are a number of parts to it that I don't use but for what I need it works really well. I haven't used anything else so nothing to compare it to personally, but I'm happy with it so not much point changing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2020 at 10:54 AM, NewBrews said:

Not sure what my next purchase will be, but my latest one just arrived!

Ordered some ingredients for an ESB so probably have a play on Sunday and do a brew on Monday!

Yee Haa!

FE992D90-D0CE-41ED-94E8-3D4DFFFF3151.thumb.jpeg.29f9709f71fa2c29857ac2e4288e21ec.jpeg

Cool, except for the made in China part.

Australia really needs to get back to making things for itself. Hopefully all this COVID crap wakes our governments up to a few things.

Best of luck with the shift to AG. 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.

21 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Surprised to learn that the heating elements on either the 35 or the 65 cannot be replaced if they go.

That's why I went down the basics pathway.... big pot... and a hole in it you put the element in through... the big SS Vessel itself is not likely to fail I am hoping in my lifetime...

False floor and bag -- or SS Mesh Basket...

And if the element goes - yer get a new one... and slot it back through and lock in with the Tri Clover Mount...

image.png.bc4798dce680d0c9d832bc339486e33a.png

image.png.f493d7a4d93e1dd0628db1c8bf8a2737.png

But there are many ways to skin the proverbial Brew Cat hey.

And although Cheeky Peak are in Wodonga and good Aussie folk...  stainless will be made OS...

Edited by Bearded Burbler

18 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

That's why I went down the basics pathway.... big pot... and a hole in it you put the element in through... the big SS Vessel itself is not likely to fail I am hoping in my lifetime...

False floor and bag -- or SS Mesh Basket...

And if the element goes - yer get a new one... and slot it back through and lock in with the Tri Clover Mount...

image.png.bc4798dce680d0c9d832bc339486e33a.png

image.png.f493d7a4d93e1dd0628db1c8bf8a2737.png

But there are many ways to skin the proverbial Brew Cat hey.

And although Cheeky Peak are in Wodonga and good Aussie folk...  stainless will be made OS...

Thanks Burbler, made me take a look at these.

I am guessing I would need the 70L electric nano brewery triple based brew kettle if I want to do double batches or full boil single batches.

Plus 1 x 3600 watt element (I already have 15 A power outlet), 1 x 446 mm grain stopper false bottom if I want to do BIAB.  OR 1 x 300 micron 304 SS mesh basket so I can throw grains straight into it.

Then there is a need for a pump, a few SS fittings and some PCV hose.

What size pot and element do you use Burbler?

Also what pump setup have you got and are you happy with it.

TIA

Cheers - AL

On 5/5/2020 at 7:47 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am trying to stay away from apps as such, just some software that I can run on the PC in the brew cave for my own use.  Not interested in running from or storing stuff in the cloud.  Don't need to wi-fi monitor stuff or want to watch whats happening in the brewery on my phone. There is too many apps spreading PIF POX as it is (phone in face pox).  Everywhere you look someone has this disease.

Have played with Beersmith demo in the past but the trial ran out before I could get to look at all of its bits and pieces. plus you need to use it while you brew so you can see if the software figures get close or you get close to them.  Watched a recent YouTube video on a comparison of a few of the 1 V brewing systems and the GrainFather firmware and software/app got a bit of a toweling.

The Beersmith demo does something to the hard drive so it cannot be re-installed again as a demo on the same system even if uninstalled.   Have not found the registry keys or files to delete in order to re-install it as a demo yet, would like to have another play with it before committing to a purchase.  I know it's not expensive in the scheme of things.

Probably never use the full features of the software as OVB says, just be nice to be comfortable with it and what I choose to use.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1