Coopers Community

What is a your Next Purchase?

Beer Baron

A bunch of hose clamps will be my next purchase. But I'm pretty dense when it comes to these things.

So I have a hose with a 18.5mm outer dimension that I connect to my Guten tap when draining into the cube. But I want to chuck a clamp on it just for some extra security.

Would the below be fine? the hose outer dimension fits within the range of the clamp, so I assume that measurement is referring to outer dimension?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/prime-13-20mm-solid-band-hose-clamp_p3110910

I did look at Stepless clamps, but I cannot be bothered using those for just emptying into a cube.

Hi Fergy, you can also use cable ties to easily secure hoses to taps. Cheap to buy and one size of cable tie can secure a huge range of different hose sizes.

Cable Ties.png

Edited by thebeerpig
Very poor spelling and grammer yet again :-(
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fergy1987 said:

Would the below be fine? the hose outer dimension fits within the range of the clamp, so I assume that measurement is referring to outer dimension?

Fergs can you just race in to Bunners and take your hose with and just try it out for size?

29 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Fergs can you just race in to Bunners and take your hose with and just try it out for size?

That would be the logical thing to do. But I am an illogical person 😁 - I'll probably do that though. I assume there isn't any weird tolerances or some crap with pressure. Just if it fits on good to go.

2 hours ago, Fergy1987 said:

That would be the logical thing to do. But I am an illogical person 😁 - I'll probably do that though. I assume there isn't any weird tolerances or some crap with pressure. Just if it fits on good to go.

if said item was a hose clamp - and wound quite out but not too far so the 'thread' drops out - and it fits over your festive hose and looks like also fitting over the hose once pushed on to a fitting - maybe another mm or two - well then it should work.  Failing that - keep you receipt - and then go back and get a bigger one? HTH 

BB

PS thank goodness we have some illogical persons in the world!  ; )

I had a mate when I was younger who ended up being a Professor in Slavic languages... could speak 5-7 or so languages perfectly... couldn't change an inner tube in bicycle... but was an amazing clever funny bloke and a great sportsman.... so takes all hey ?!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

Fermzilla and maybe a few more 2nd hand kegs, maybe upgrade from plastic disconnects to steel.

Red as you know your way around kegs and pressure - would consider just geting a SS vessel - like a brew-bucket  something from Brewtech - I really think that the plastic balloons now in vogue are not really the biz if you can do it all in SS... obviously without viewing cos SS is not see-through... but the balloons even have some bullllllllshit that they are only rate for like 12 months or so anyway.... brewing under pressure is gold... but am not convinced with the plastic balloons... I got one. 

Yeah Shamus - same as above - consider doing it in an SS BrewBucket or keg... as the plastic ones have their issues and may not have longevity

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Next will be a pressure fermenter - Fermzilla or similar

Edited by Bearded Burbler

1 hour ago, pilotsh said:

Imagine a stout with a hint of smoke! 

Just purchase smoked mail as per Bamberger Rauchbier...

Smoked Malt Beer: Rich and Handsome

The thought of a smoky-tasting beer might not appeal to all beer drinkers, but don't be too quick to judge. The following Smoked Malt Beer Guide might just whet your appetite.

Beer is made from malted grains. The malting process involves wetting the grain, usually barley, which causes it to germinate. However, before the growing plant converts the starch into energy to fuel the plant's growth, the brewer arrests the process by drying out the grain. This preserves the sugars in the grain for brewing. [BK -  and the ALL IMPORTANT ENZYMES PRODUCED BY THE COLEOPTILE - THE BABY PLANT]

For centuries before the modern industrial age, malt was dried out over fires, which imparted a smoky character to the malt. Many Whisky drinkers relish this smoky character in peat-smoked Whiskies, but beer drinkers tend to prefer a cleaner, more refreshing drink. This was especially so as beers started to become paler in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Germans on fire

However, there are pockets in the beer-brewing world that continue to savour the traditional smokiness of their malts. The most famous is the mediaeval town of Bamberg in Franconia, Germany. The local Rauchbier, or smoked beer, is made using malt dried over a beechwood fire.

• 1 month later...

Well after careful thought, I have purchased myself ( with approval from the boss ) a Fermzilla for Xmas, along with pressure kit, spunding valve and various other spares that go with it ( I like spares on hand ) in case the proverbial hits the fan.
‘Now I can ferment under pressure & closed transfer.

Was shipped out of KL this morning as I am in SE Qld.

I was considering the 291 SS kegmenter but the dimensions of it would not fit in my fridge, and there’s bugger all in it but it just won’t fit.

I have read all the pro,s & cons of these things, watched videos on them, but being a Tradie with 30 yrs in Oil & Gas I’m sure I can rectify any little problems I may have eg- leaks. 
If I can build a 4 tap keezer I’m sure I can look after a Fermzilla, looking forward to its arrival & first test run.

• Like 1

@Red devil 44 I have had some great success with my fermzilla pressure fermenting. They can be cantankerous though getting a good pressure seal, I am not sue why but perhaps the actual pressure vessel can be easily distorted and then the o rings lose a seal. Anyway with some frigging around you can usually get a good seal.

12 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@Red devil 44 I have had some great success with my fermzilla pressure fermenting. They can be cantankerous though getting a good pressure seal, I am not sue why but perhaps the actual pressure vessel can be easily distorted and then the o rings lose a seal. Anyway with some frigging around you can usually get a good seal.

Cheers mate, I heard they don’t like boiling water, so mix it separately in another tub & cool if doing a K & K brew, then pour in, is that correct ?

@Coopers DIY Beer Team @PB2

Hi dear helpful Coopers DIY Team.... thanks for the DIY Beer site and all the efforts that go into keeping this running for us.... and for Coopers a Family owned business that makes real beer from Aussie Malt grown by Aussie Farmers.  The Coopers beer range... and more specifically this Site...  is most appreciated and a great asset for both experienced brewers or new starters to Coopers DIY brewing!

Is there anything that can be done about killing the 'bots' off... like this absolute shitttte:

image.thumb.png.6aa6db943728a4847e3b82655b6db039.png

Sadly a thing of the modern electronic world but most disconcerting and certainly not needed on such a great site as the Coopers DIY Beer Community. 

But I appreciate you may be battling against the volume of such evil infiltration... 

Thanks for considering my post - and am sure that I echo many others' sentiments on this site...

Cheers

BB

• Like 1