Coopers Community

Impact of Global Warming on the Future of Beer.

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

...And on the other side of the coin there have been a couple of protests in the inner city area here lately, holding up the whole city during peak hour on a Friday afternoon to protest against a coal mine that's already being built. A pointless exercise, and one that is highly unlikely to get many people on side. Anyone held up for ages will just see them as a nuisance and the message gets lost.

You're driving a bus aren't you? 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

3 meals a day, free medication, all your washing and drying done for you. No bills, groceries at wholesale prices.... It has some perks.

Until, just like Fletch, you meet your cellmate, Ben Dover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I can do without the paperwork and jail time... 🤣

I keep a mask tucked down the side of the drivers seat for just such occasions. 

..."You can clearly see in the multiple bystander mobile phone taken video footage it wasn't me your honour." 😉

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

Interesting thread mate's,

*kind of like that tv show doomsday prepers only with home brew overtones, but its important to know if the world is experiencing some kind of apocalyptic shit storm next week, i can  still brew a honey ipa in the garage. Now that's a silver lining -

*As for the protesters blocking traffic, i was thinking that might be a golden opportunity to introduce the water cannons on the back of the fire trucks, mate they wouldn't even need to pay me to do that job! With a bit of luck they would be super glued to the road.

I haven't got a nasty streak its just where getting our arse kick by the pommys in the cricket....

9 minutes ago, Jumping jack flash said:

*As for the protesters blocking traffic, i was thinking that might be a golden opportunity to introduce the water cannons on the back of the fire trucks, mate they wouldn't even need to pay me to do that job! With a bit of luck they would be super glued to the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulCw7RJ5eE8

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I keep a mask tucked down the side of the drivers seat for just such occasions. 

..."You can clearly see in the multiple bystander mobile phone taken video footage it wasn't me your honour." 😉

😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

That wouldn't work for me though, they'd just get the bus fleet number and link it to my shift. 😂

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

That wouldn't work for me though, they'd just get the bus fleet number and link it to my shift. 😂

So you can't adjust it yourself or blank it out before you decide to break traffic & hit full throttle? 🤣

Edit: Just tell the depot when you get back that a guy messaged you & said you must maintain the bus at 30mph constantly for the said amount of time or it would detonate a bomb he had attached to the bus but then removed after you did what he said. 😉

Something like the movie "Speed".

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Edit: Just tell the depot when you get back that a guy messaged you & said you must maintain the bus at 30mph constantly for the said amount of time or it would detonate a bomb he had attached to the bus but then removed after you did what he said. 😉

Something like the movie "Speed".

Cheers,

Lusty.

I think it was called “The Bus that Couldn’t Slow Down”.

I think humans will destroy the world before global warming will. I read earlier that in 1987 the population was 5 billion and today it’s 8 billion. We will keep breeding and using every natural resource and eventually we won’t have enough food and water for everyone. 

We are a plague!!

• Like 2

I think the problem is only partially breeding but more about the lack of dying. People are living longer and science is preventing disease from wiping out large chunks of the population (despite the best efforts of anti vaxers).

3 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I think humans will destroy the world before global warming will. I read earlier that in 1987 the population was 5 billion and today it’s 8 billion. We will keep breeding and using every natural resource and eventually we won’t have enough food and water for everyone. 

We are a plague!!

100% spot on. I read somewhere that the worlds population will double by 2070. So even if we halve the CO2 emissions per capita we will be right back in the same position. And yes food & water will be the problem. 

• Like 2

On 7/9/2019 at 10:40 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

...Bee numbers might be the same in a given specific location as they've pretty much always been but it doesn't mean a thing when compared to the numbers across the whole planet.

The extinction of most species is often the result of the destruction of their natural habitat. In some cases introduced species or predators also influence these outcomes.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:40 PM, Otto Von Blotto said:

That's a great example of where armchair experts fail to understand the situation. They only ever look in their own backyard.

My other post was just a joke.

At least James got that one. 🙂 👍

Cheers,

Lusty.

On 7/9/2019 at 8:29 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Listened to this on the weekend:

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/quirks/beer-shortages-could-be-a-result-of-climate-change-thanks-to-barley-crop-failures-1.4868096

The study says prices in Canada could double, but poor Europe may see prices rise seven fold! Not sure about Australia.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Typical article with no scientific references and names. 

I can equally state with no reference that more grain was produced around the world in 2018 than any proceeding year.

Whether the grain grown in future will be barley, which affects brewing pricing, will be the result of supply/demand, because that is what drives crop farming.

I suggest climate change does not need to be argued on this brewing forum. Most of us are in the here-and-now as far as brewing goes. On the home front, it is probably not a decades long venture, anyway. 🤔

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Worthog said:

Typical article with no scientific references and names. 

That is not the way I operate Warthog. 

To others who may be reading this thread, there is a link to the actual paper on the CBC radio website. One of the authors, Dabo Guan, was interviewed in the podcast. His name is right there in the description.

Here is a direct link to the paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-018-0263-1.epdf?referrer_access_token=loGGXpVtMcAkYnub_6q-7dRgN0jAjWel9jnR3ZoTv0MFWGRMBT-Y7TXCsg2nTbgikfxv_CBsAnRQoC91VSrVoSe3OFjM5zamVS6gNon4ljHa9hh1S1LoVDy96M9EuCTUESkRV7dIoxsvumXf5RsKI9u0s-pnpILaN2F16NnuISZwem8J_GBvXyOggNZjaDrwhVbbRy103xDwwS4pCQGDtyXp5fwSLCFoxVXnj2S75MFhaAE05iIHps9aNwFtnV71b2dEAibUeIyLb__3zDhaE62oQsUqeJELzArnSTtMBpS9qcDLNCErD8BtEKcQu4QXx_mXSjKzautrpnPSI1datg%3D%3D&tracking_referrer=www.cbc.ca

Cheers,

Christina.

• Thanks 1

I'd have to agree with worthog there. If an article is gonna make scientific claims, it should back them up with scientific evidence to support such claims. Otherwise, the only result is a heap of factual information and misinformation being spread around the web and no way to tell the difference, which is probably why there's seemingly so many people out there who believe a bunch of BS on various topics - brewing included.

I'm not suggesting that what the article contains is one or the other, but including some citations would help its credibility. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto