Coopers Community

Looks like your prayers have been answered... Coopers XPA Clone

I'm hearin' ya on this one mate. It is a nice feeling. 🙂

I don't do a lot of clone recipes these days, so when I do it's nice to know my regular thought processes & knowledge can produce something very close to the commercial version right off the bat.

I wasn't even born when the Tooth's Ale was originally sold over the bar, so my planned Mt. Hood version should be interesting. I just pitched the vial into the starter.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I tasted my 'Mark's Kicker' beer - only 4 days in the bottle but it was a potential bomb waiting to blow so I figured I'd rather try it than lose it.

I had an XPA can immediately prior to opening it (carefully 😄 ) and the Kicker was quite close - had more flavour I think, darker colour and slightly red-tinge head but it wasn't that different to what I got from the can. Stronger though, because it's a toucan of 2 x Coopers Draught and clocks in on the SS at 8.2%, but very drinkable and promises to be a great beer in a couple of weeks.

I may have to rename it next time to 'Mark's XPA Older Brother' 😄 

• Like 1

Hey guys,

Got most of the ingredients for this. Looking at the recipe though, if you don't use the commercial yeast culture it recommends kit yeast.

Seems a little light on yeast for the amount of fermentables, what do you think?

Cheers

Steve

54 minutes ago, SG114 said:

Hey guys,

Got most of the ingredients for this. Looking at the recipe though, if you don't use the commercial yeast culture it recommends kit yeast.

Seems a little light on yeast for the amount of fermentables, what do you think?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve.

Yes I would be putting two tin yeasts in. I just used US-05 for mine, turned out fine. Although the commercial yeast would have influenced the flavour somewhat.

• 1 year later...

ell   its time to rebrew this Xpa  however i havWe  made my changes from the  past 2 brews i had made

coopersxpa2.thumb.jpg.27f1e5ea6baf1b6b9acea1e4af333530.jpg

It is my take on the coopers XPA

its an all grain recipe    i have previously made this in the past using   Gladfield Ale malt(nz)   and Joe white crystal   as my 1st attempt

2nd attempt was with gladfield again  and gladfield light crystal 

This atempt  still using gladfield but going to use simpsons light crystal  

20200923_155023.thumb.jpg.035916d1586b3e8a5e45afc959665e66.jpg  This was the 1st attempt in this pic

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Hairy said:

The grain bill for my beer today was:

4.25kg American Ale malt 

500g Wheat malt

250g Munich I

Nice easy drinking grain bill for an XPA or Australian Pale Ale.

Yes, no bloddy crystal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started to brew the batch this morning

mash in  has just finished and the colour is looking almost like coopers xpa lol   just started to do a mash out

i'm looking forward to this one when its finished

I did contemplate putting some wheat in but I opted out at the last minute

i will brew this again in the near future  and i will add wheat to it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

today was kegging day of my coopers clone ,  i am very well looking forward to this one  , at around 6%  its up there     started at 1.057  and finish a 1.011

this is just a sample  in a pony glass   without any carbonation   and its from the bottom dregs of the fermzilla

20210324_172009.thumb.jpg.40b65d03329eda800fd18a34a14b0f7f.jpg

the light hasnt done  its justice  as its little bit lighter then   that..

i cant wait till it carbs up  and conditions more

• Like 2