Coopers Community

Looks like your prayers have been answered... Coopers XPA Clone

5 hours ago, Gazzala said:

What temp did you ferment at Mitch? And how long will you dry hop for?

Cheers, Gaz.

18.5C ferment temp.

Today is day 8 and will dry hop tonight, then remove on day 12 before CC'ing, so approx 4 days.

I find anywhere from 3-5 days dry hop is fine.

Mitch.

• Thanks 1

After 6 days mine is at 1.010 - started at 1.050. Current ABV 5.25% - seems a bit high...

The sample tastes good but no hoppyness (taste or aroma).

Planning to dry hop tomorrow - might put a few more than the recipe suggests.

14 hours ago, Gazzala said:

After 6 days mine is at 1.010 - started at 1.050. Current ABV 5.25% - seems a bit high...

The sample tastes good but no hoppyness (taste or aroma).

Planning to dry hop tomorrow - might put a few more than the recipe suggests.

Does seem a little high, nonetheless, a bit of extra ABV never heard anyone 😛

I was going to add a flameout hop addition or extra dry hops but thought I would stick to the recipe for the first one, then make adjustments the second time if I feel the need to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

I think a few were having trouble getting hold of the Lemondrop hop used in the Coopers XPA. Beerbelly here in SA didn't have it on their hop lists a few weeks ago when I checked, but do now.

For those interested in maybe brewing the Coopers homebrew version of the recipe & are having trouble sourcing the hop, perhaps try Beerbelly as you can order online & they deliver nationwide.

I purchased some to have a play with. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hi guys.

I think a few were having trouble getting hold of the Lemondrop hop used in the Coopers XPA. Beerbelly here in SA didn't have it on their hop lists a few weeks ago when I checked, but do now.

For those interested in maybe brewing the Coopers homebrew version of the recipe & are having trouble sourcing the hop, perhaps try Beerbelly as you can order online & they deliver nationwide.

I purchased some to have a play with. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

I've noticed a few places now stocking it since the launch of the Coopers XPA which is great. 

There is also a guy on the homebrewers Australia Facebook page that sells it very well priced but only sells in 500g/1kg bags. 

My XPA has been cold crashing for just over a week. Will be going into the keg tonight and will hit it with 40psi overnight then back to serving pressure. Should be able to have a sample Sunday night 🙂

Mitch. 

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 1

Well gave it a taste on Sunday and was a little undercarbed so left it at serving pressure until now. 

Has carbed up well now. Can certainly taste a malty backbone and with 400g of crystal you can definitely taste it. 

Definitely has a lingering lemony/mandarin taste that is unlike anything else I have had before. Mild bitterness, nothing too strong. 

Overall quite nice. Have had two tonight and quite enjoying them. Definitely different tastes to anything I've had before but I guess that's because I've never had lemondrop hops before 😛

Will try to get a better pic in the sun this weekend. I'm guessing the first few pulls will be a little cloudier then the rest too so it may clear out a bit over the next few schooners. 

Will have to try and find the commercial version somewhere to do a comparison. 

Cheers, Mitch. 

20190808_193229.jpg

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Like 7

Looks good Mitch!

I bottled mine 6 days ago - I kept 3 PETs in the door of the brew fridge for squeeze tests - 2 of them were rock hard after 2 days which seemed very fast.  Will try one this weekend to see how it is.

• Like 2

I have to say after just 7 days in the bottle I wasn’t t expecting much - but this is great! I’m really happy with it. Nice aroma of citrus and mandarin and tastes fantastic - with a nice smooth bitterness. Great head and body.

85905965-54B6-4CF0-ADCF-4659A13FA91A.jpeg

Edited by Gazzala
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Gazzala said:

I have to say after just 7 days in the bottle I wasn’t t expecting much - but this is great! I’m really happy with it. Nice aroma of citrus and mandarin and tastes fantastic - with a nice smooth bitterness. Great head and body.

85905965-54B6-4CF0-ADCF-4659A13FA91A.jpeg

Our brews look identical 🙂

I thought mine was a little dark however this makes me feel a little better. 

Will try to get a better pic in the sun tomorrow. Cheers. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I got the side by side test on the go now. Got a slab of purple cans last weekend and dropped a dozen over the two happy hours at the in-laws, but tonight was the first chance I got to do a comparison.

Get on with it I hear you say!

Purple can: lively carbonation for a Coopers product, but first time I’ve had one of theirs from a can. Nice malt carrying through very reminiscent of the Pale Ale. Hops are fresh but not as hoppy as I thought it might be. Nice citrus and almost a “fake” lemony taste.

The ROTM: Bit flat but carbonation has been slow here. A vigorous pour will generate a reasonable head however carbonation lasting through the glass. Maltiness is similar however a good bit of sweetness carrying through even though I hit the FG target. Hops are somewhat subdued compared to the commercial version, probably could have done with another 5g in each dose. Colour is significantly darker on the kit version but that is to be expected. Probably would leave the crystal out.

Overall, both beers are very enjoyable but would I make the kit recipe again? Probably not based on the fact I think I could do a better match using AG. The commercial beer is excellent, based on it being an Australian Pale Ale but amplified, whereas a lot of other XPAs seem to be based on an American Pale Ale base. Would I buy it again - definitely. Is it my favourite XPA? Probably not quite there.

F36E0534-8F1E-4ACD-8CF4-F5901ACF9810.jpeg

C0641C0B-7DB0-4C2E-AA3A-B5AAFB34B3E8.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice review @NewBrews!

I haven’t been able to find the purple cans anywhere yet - despite Dan Murphy’s showing it available at 3 local stores none of them actually have it.

I find my ROTM very nice but was expecting (or maybe hoping for) more hoppyness. 

I’ll do a side by side once I find the elusive cans...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Did a side by side comparison tonight - aside from the obvious colour difference, they’re actually quite similar. I’m surprised (but happy) - I thought the commercial brew would be hoppier as it’s an XPA - but it is a very nice beer. I think mine might be a bit hoppier (I was probably a bit heavy handed with the dry hop). I like them both - and am very happy I can make a beer that’s not far off the commercial one. Will definitely make this again but will experiment with the dry hop.

6B56D4F3-FB13-499E-BB1F-112CC75AA804.jpeg

• Like 4