--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Bottling Volume: 19.60 L
Estimated OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated Color: 17.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 48.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          71.8 %        1.96 L        
0.88 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         2          21.1 %        0.57 L        
0.25 kg          Crystal Rye Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (157.6 EBC)    Grain         3          6.0 %         0.16 L        
0.05 kg          Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)            Grain         4          1.2 %         0.03 L        
10.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min           Hop           5          16.7 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Lemondrop [5.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min   Hop           6          9.1 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           7          23.0 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Liberty Bell Ale (Mangrove Jack's #M36)          Yeast         8          -             -             
50.00 g          Lemondrop [5.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days            Hop           9          0.0 IBUs      -             
50.00 g          Simcoe [13.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days              Hop           10         0.0 IBUs      -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caveat: I have not had the Coopers XPA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about putting my XPA brew down today but I the LHBS isn't open so my only option is to use DME instead of the LME. 

I'd also have to use tin yeast so I'm not sure. I do have two tin yeasts from the coopers APA here so I could use both and that way I have 14g of yeast. 

Or wait till the LHBS is open and get some us-05 instead... 

Decisions..... 

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The kit yeast is pretty similar to 05 in flavour, so you can probably sub it in without affecting things much. 

The recipe calls for coopers commercial yeast but I'm too lazy for that. It does say you can use kit yeast as a replacement though so will probably just do that. 

I ran out of time to get to it today so will probably be a job one night this week now 🙂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Gazzala said:

I’m brewing my XPA tomorrow - I don’t have any CC yeast and only 1 APA kit yeast - not sure if I should add (or substitute) another yeast?

I have US-05, S04 and Nottingham available.

I'd use the Kit yeast as the recipe says if you do not have access to CC yeast.

I would probably be rehydrating it though as my OG was 1.050 which may be a little high for 7g of yeast to efficiently get through when added dry.

I rehydrated two packs as I had a spare pack in the fridge from a previous APA tin.

Edited by MitchellScott
  • Thanks 1

It’s now in the fermenter.

Pitched the 2 packs of kit yeast about 2 hours ago at 18C - currently sitting at about 18.5. The yeast has formed a circle in the middle of the FV - never seen that before (but this is only my 10th batch). Is that normal?

83266690-FD70-4F6D-9B90-822EADA56B7E.jpeg

E305544A-EE83-40F5-B466-474671E5C291.jpeg

3 hours ago, Gazzala said:

It’s now in the fermenter.

Pitched the 2 packs of kit yeast about 2 hours ago at 18C - currently sitting at about 18.5. The yeast has formed a circle in the middle of the FV - never seen that before (but this is only my 10th batch). Is that normal?

83266690-FD70-4F6D-9B90-822EADA56B7E.jpeg

E305544A-EE83-40F5-B466-474671E5C291.jpeg

Probably from the whirlpool that you would have created when stirring the wort.

Looks fine man :)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I think the yeast are collectively scared of the satan-like dog box on the shelf above & have huddled together in fear.

Cheers,

Lusty.

There’s a nice krausen forming this morning so I think the yeasties must have got over their fear of the dog... 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 1