Coopers Community

Coopers IPA. Better left alone?

Segrigs

I am new to brewing and have only done two batches so far. I want to do an IPA for the summer since I love the grapefruit taste I get from them. Is coopers IPA good left alone or should I add more hopes like citra to get more of that flavour?  Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

I think it depends on your tastes. If you like lots of citrus bite, the standard can may not have it. Citra would be a perfect addition if you decide to hop up.

I found with most cans, even the 'crafty' ones, they're still targeted at the average drinker, or brewer who wants to brew as simple as possible.

5 hours ago, Instigator said:

Welcome to the forum @Segrigs. What did you brew for your first two batches?

My first batch was a brew Canada red beer. I have a coopers draught brewing right now and I plan on starting an IPA next weekend when my hops come in. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Segrigs said:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will be doing some dry hopping. From what I read I think that may give me the results I want. I think citra and maybe cascade

My first brew was just as per the Coopers recipe and was ok but the next one (APA) I hopped with Citra and the difference is amazing.

I am looking forward to trying it with dry hopping. I’m just wondering how much to use. I was thinking 1/2 ounce of citra and 1/2 ounce cascade or just 1 ounce of citra. How much did you use?

I used 12g hop tea then dry hopped with 12g at day 2, but this was a 10lt brew. Tried a bottle the other day and the hops were really up front. I expect that to mellow out as it conditions but as this is the first time I have used hops I am just guessing!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2019 at 11:00 AM, ozlizard said:

My first brew was just as per the Coopers recipe and was ok but the next one (APA) I hopped with Citra and the difference is amazing.

How much citra did you use and did you dry hop or step?

I'm about to do one this weekend.

9 minutes ago, Navigator said:

I'm not a big bitter fan, I'm hoping for a citrus fruity taste.

I'm doing 23 ltrs.

Then IPA probably isn't your style - the hops for IPAs are bittered to get bite. I'm not big on them either, but gave the Anarchy IPA a go and bittered 25g Chinook and dry hopped another 75g of two hops. It's a pretty mellow beer after 6 weeks in the bottle. Hop forward beers don't hold their flavour for very long.

If you dry hop, you get more aroma and some flavour and low bitterness. Citra or cascade good for citrus flavours

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Navigator said:

I'm not a big bitter fan, I'm hoping for a citrus fruity taste.

Me too. That's why I used Citra, agree with Lab Rat that Cascade is good as well, used both in my NEIPA. If you scale it up for 23lt you should be fine. I used a heap in the NEIPA and it's far from being bitter, but yeah a different style.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Played around tasting hoppy beers this summer. At the start the bentspoke crankshaft was too much for me, but I quite enjoyed the Capital Red IPA. Been a long time since I tasted LCPA, so a case of that over summer and it was superb. The panhead XPA went down a real treat. Another IPA I don't remember which I chased with another crankshaft, which was acceptable by then. Maybe because I'd had enough real hoppy beers over a few weeks or maybe because I'd had a lighter IPA immediately prior.

Anyway, long and short of it being my mum brought me an IPA tin by accident a few months back. Is it pretty true to commercial examples? I'm always a bit suspicious of commercial milder tasting IPAs (ie, IPAs I don't find offensive), just can't tell how much the hops have faded, or if they are milder examples of a style. 

I'm thinking of hitting this one with 1.5 kgs light dry malt or slightly more, about 200-300 g of toffee malt with 25g citra boiled for 15ish and 25 dry hopped, up to 25 litres I'm thinking. Hoping for a more tropical fruity flavour and not too much bitterness, at least, no more than the commercial varieties. Any thoughts, contributions?

Edited by alilley

58 minutes ago, alilley said:

Played around tasting hoppy beers this summer. At the start the bentspoke crankshaft was too much for me, but I quite enjoyed the Capital Red IPA. Been a long time since I tasted LCPA, so a case of that over summer and it was superb. The panhead XPA went down a real treat. Another IPA I don't remember which I chased with another crankshaft, which was acceptable by then. Maybe because I'd had enough real hoppy beers over a few weeks or maybe because I'd had a lighter IPA immediately prior.

Anyway, long and short of it being my mum brought me an IPA tin by accident a few months back. Is it pretty true to commercial examples? I'm always a bit suspicious of commercial milder tasting IPAs (ie, IPAs I don't find offensive), just can't tell how much the hops have faded, or if they are milder examples of a style. 

I'm thinking of hitting this one with 1.5 kgs light dry malt or slightly more, about 200-300 g of toffee malt with 25g citra boiled for 15ish and 25 dry hopped, up to 25 litres I'm thinking. Hoping for a more tropical fruity flavour and not too much bitterness, at least, no more than the commercial varieties. Any thoughts, contributions?

A mate of mine made a craft batch using the Mr Brew Diablo IPA without adding anything. It made a very drinkable beer but it didn't have the punch that I associate with the IPAs I drink at the pub. I'm not sure what can you've got but it wouldn't surprise me if you'd need a hop steep/dry hop to really take it to the next level. Maybe some of the seasoned vets around here could confirm or deny.

I’ve done the Coopers IPA twice, used 12g Citra hops the first time, came out great, nicely refreshing.

The second IPA is currently in the fermenter and has 12g Galaxy hops ( teabag ), let you guys know how it turned out when I keg it, looking forward to it actually.

Cheers RD 44

2 hours ago, alilley said:

If you want tropical flavours, dry hop with some Galaxy. It adds some nice stone fruit flavours which should complement the Citra hops. I'd also drop the 25g Citra in the boil to maybe 10g. Citra bitterness can be rather harsh. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

If you want tropical flavours, dry hop with some Galaxy. It adds some nice stone fruit flavours which should complement the Citra hops. I'd also drop the 25g Citra in the boil to maybe 10g. Citra bitterness can be rather harsh. 

I agree Aussiekraut, I’ve had a few cracks at the Stone & Wood Clone and Galaxy gives off fantastic tropical flavours, getting thirsty just thinking about it, but at the moment my S & W is still fermenting, had 2 kegs full at Xmas, but myself and my brother, plus his in laws drained them 🤣🤣☹️☹️

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

I agree Aussiekraut, I’ve had a few cracks at the Stone & Wood Clone and Galaxy gives off fantastic tropical flavours, getting thirsty just thinking about it, but at the moment my S & W is still fermenting, had 2 kegs full at Xmas, but myself and my brother, plus his in laws drained them 🤣🤣☹️☹️

I'll be making a quick and dirty k&b Pacific Summer Ale tomorrow and then an AG pacific ale with a twist on Sunday. Both featuring plenty of Galaxy 🙂 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yep. Only used Citra a few times, but it's very up front. My HBS calls it Cascade on steroids.

Citra is high AA, with some varieties of it getting to 15%. Means you can use far less to get the same level of bitterness as a lower acid hop. For e.g. 25g Citra on a short boil could be as much as 50g of Cascade.

It's a bit more sciencey than that, depending on the make up of the hop. But it's a thumb rule I use. Something I learnt plugging hop amount and boils into the IanH recipe sheet.

Edited by Lab Rat
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Yep. Only used Citra a few times, but it's very up front. My HBS calls it Cascade on steroids.

Citra is high AA, with some varieties of it getting to 15%. Means you can use far less to get the same level of bitterness as a lower acid hop. For e.g. 25g Citra on a short boil could be as much as 50g of Cascade.

It's a bit more sciencey than that, depending on the make up of the hop. But it's a thumb rule I use. Something I learnt plugging hop amount and boils into the IanH recipe sheet.

Yeah I like playing with hop schedules and amounts in the spreadsheet. It's a good way to learn.